HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2014, 09:42 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,486 Posts
Build Log
Sopwith Pup 52" WS

I just love the looks of the Sopwith Pup. I decided to build a depron Pup with a 52"ws which just fits in the back seat of a Accord,

I just wanted a prototype to see how well it would fly....nothing fancy but itf it turn out well then I would do another with more attention to detail.

With a 52"ws and a 10.25 " chord it gives you 7.4 sq ft or wing area. The final auw come out to 58oz; kinda heavy wasn't trying to keep wt off. But the wing loading is only 7.8 oz/sq ft almost a glider
I used a The Emax GT2812/10 is a 3.4 ounce, 480 class, 970KV, 330 watt motor with 3 1500/30c batteries up front for nose wt. The batteries are run individually . Make life easy! get 5-7minutes of leisurely flying time per battery.

Its an easy plane to fly; takeoffs are at a nice steady climb angle and landings, which to me is the best part of a flight, are smooth and pretty.

The plans were scaled up from outerzone.com and drawn and modified by Martin Hunter based on a Jim Wilkerson plan. The only mod I made was to add 2" to the nose to aid in balancing and used a flat wing shaped as a Jedelsky airfoil. . Its just a fantastic flyer.

At this wingspan it has a nice volume and presence in the air. I wish I had someone to take some pictures while flying.

In any event here are a couple of pictures....Yes the LG is wrong hey I used what was on hand. I just used a DS brush to paint on some color but it served its purpose in proving it could be done with minimum effort and fly exceptionally well...hats off to the original designers!.

Yes I started on another and will add a lot more detail and a little more diligence. But Pup #001 will stay in my stable of favorite flyers.

Try it you might like it!
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; Nov 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2014, 08:54 AM
old foamie
Joined Oct 2007
655 Posts
I like what you did, nice plane. I have been kicking an idea around for a while like yours, about the same size and with a high lift wing for slow ,floaty flying. The plane could be tweaked to resemble a couple of other planes with little work. Now I can see you did it and it works, I will be waiting for your Pup #002 with great interest. Great job!
old foamie is offline Find More Posts by old foamie
Old Nov 14, 2014, 01:34 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,486 Posts
old foamie,
Thanks for compliment. I like the size as well easy to see for my old tired eyes

Yes a couple of others come to mine another favorite N-17 Nieuport not as much wing area but short nose, the SE5 should be easy with its long nose moment to balance.

Just came back fro LHS with some 6 mm depron will start later this weekend and take some pics

PS

I look at some of your attachments and you have a nice collection of plans and drawings. Oddly enough I built the Fokker Tri about 30 or so years ago . It was a free flight with a cox 02 and a very small eyedropper as a fuel tank. The sucker flew all over the field doing wild gyrations it was loads of fun.
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; Nov 14, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 05:17 PM
old foamie
Joined Oct 2007
655 Posts
I know what you mean about size, I have a few ultra micros, nice planes but sometimes they get a little far away its like ," Ok now just what is it doing now?' I tend to use FFF or foamboard panels, or sometimes odd foam scrap that has possibilities. I like how there is so many things you can recycle into a foamie, you go to a store and see something and think what can I use that for or make out it.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 05:39 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
729 Posts
I'm drawing a first war biplane an hybrid stearman p-17/sopwith camel/wako about the same size. I was surprised that you calculate both total wing area in your wing loading. I have read somewhere that the second wing will give only 20 % more lift because they use mainly the same air. To take your words, does it fly almost like a glider ?
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,486 Posts
old foamie:
Right my favorite store is the Family dollar store, in fact I was there this morning after visit to the LHS to see if I could find a plastic cowl (about 6" dia) nothing really suitable as far as shape. Always looking for "stuff" when I'm shopping.. Did you ever try pendulum control for the elevator???? Another old time wild ride.

fauconnier:
Yes it very docile no bad traits. When I say like a glider I mean real slow yesterday with a 5-7mph wind on my wind-o-meter it was real slow,

However, ailerons turns are not clean and you need to coordinate a bit of rudder with aileron to get a real nice turn; most high wings need rudder +aileron. The way you should fly. With todays radio you can mix in a little rudder and not think about it.

Always computed w/l to include both wings, what you say is probably dependent on the separation distance between the wings usually about a chord length....so they say.
Keep us posted on your effort.

Ralph
Old Nov 15, 2014, 07:32 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A. D'Amelio View Post
old foamie:
Right my favorite store is the Family dollar store, in fact I was there this morning after visit to the LHS to see if I could find a plastic cowl (about 6" dia) nothing really suitable as far as shape. Always looking for "stuff" when I'm shopping.. Did you ever try pendulum control for the elevator???? Another old time wild ride.

fauconnier:
Yes it very docile no bad traits. When I say like a glider I mean real slow yesterday with a 5-7mph wind on my wind-o-meter it was real slow,

However, ailerons turns are not clean and you need to coordinate a bit of rudder with aileron to get a real nice turn; most high wings need rudder +aileron. The way you should fly. With todays radio you can mix in a little rudder and not think about it.

Always computed w/l to include both wings, what you say is probably dependent on the separation distance between the wings usually about a chord length....so they say.
Keep us posted on your effort.

Ralph
For my cowls I use clear water plastic bottle or bleach bottle most of the time. The flat bottom one could be interesting for your biplane. The top curved part , cut, adjusted and stapled make great glider look cowls. The clear plastic , when painted inside, is particularly nice.

IMHO there is no rational reasons to build a biplane. With foam an carbon we can build light and strong monoplanes that surpass the biplanes. But there is a lot of bad reasons to do it .... like I got to have it, things has to be done, how do they fly ? great looking scale plane, history ........
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Nov 16, 2014, 08:41 AM
old foamie
Joined Oct 2007
655 Posts
Did you ever look at cheap toys to buy , because the clear blister pack would make a good cockpit canopy , or use the wheels?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 01:46 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,486 Posts
These are the plans I scaled from
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:45 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,486 Posts
One of my buddies suggested I add some build comments to pictures explaining some of the things I have done.......OK
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; Nov 20, 2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:17 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,486 Posts
Lower wing completed.....landing gear almost done.
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; Nov 22, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 06:41 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,486 Posts
Short Video

About 4:00pm today heavy overcast, 62F, 5mph wind....can smell snow in air...expect 9" tomorrow (Wed.) better catch a flight as long as I can see it in heavy overcast. My 1500mah/25c batteries are getting pretty poop out feels like I'm flying on 2 cells.

As luck would have it a new friend I meet this summer who walks around the field happen to be there and my iPad was in the car. He's from China and does not speak a word of English and of course I don't speak Chinese. But we somehow still communicate and we look forward to seeing each other at the field.

Two short videos

Take off cross wind; they is a large oak tree and a portable goal post to my right...geez
sopwith takeoff (0 min 52 sec)

Landing
sopwith landing (0 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; Nov 25, 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:28 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,486 Posts
Cowl done 2" pink foam faced with 1/2" balsa. Is attached and fg plus 1 coat of wbpu
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; Nov 25, 2014 at 11:17 PM.