HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rampman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:12 PM
Pattern Abuser
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
Kanobee, FYI the Arizona model Aviators are hosting the AZ electric festival Today thru Sunday. Field is located at Brown and Meridian in Mesa/Apache junction
www.azelectricfestival.com
jimflys1 is offline Find More Posts by jimflys1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
226 Posts
Kbee

Your close to sun lakes flying club.
slrcc.org
evapilotaz is offline Find More Posts by evapilotaz
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:29 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Thanks Tbolt!! I'm taking my gf's oldest son out there when he get home on Sunday morning. This may be exactly what he needs to see
kanobee71 is offline Find More Posts by kanobee71
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:01 AM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanobee71 View Post
Thanks Tbolt!! I'm taking my gf's oldest son out there when he get home on Sunday morning. This may be exactly what he needs to see
Just so you know- By noon on Sunday, the event will be pretty much quieted down I think.
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
Old Today, 12:33 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,880 Posts
January 20th, Rick Huerta and I had a meeting with the city of Gilbert Parks and Recreation director and, well, bottom line is the Rodeo Grounds are off the table.

Maricopa County wants Gilbert to lease it from them and be 100% liable for anything it needs and the city has basically nothing to gain by leasing that 43 acres.

He then suggested several other sites for us that may work but no, no, nope,,, until he showed us the city owned property at the North West corner of Queen Creek and Greenfield. Directly on the corner is a police sub station and around it is the Gilbert south maintenance yard. Directly west of these is some open land that they may be interested in letting us fly off of.

It may be temporary, maybe 2-3 years, but better than any other park I have seen and flown out of.

Anyhow. Rick and Rick will continue working on this.

Details that Good Looking Rick and I like most are:
This area is HUGE
Facing north when flying
Large area to the west to fly over, just farm land presently.
Very deep; deeper than the Rodeo Grounds by many times.
About a 10' berm is just north of Queen Creek Road. This will not allow people driving by to directly see us. Can also possibly hide a cover IF we ever put one up.
No more 8 year girls to "almost" get bucked off a horse.
Wide open as long as we don't fly too far east.
Winds in this area are relatively mild and great for our lighter electric planes.

Matt (he lives almost next door), Rick and I plan to meet out there in the near future, with the city's permission, to measure and figure out how/where the runway can be in order to submit a plan to the city to consider.
NOTE: Without permission we would be TRESPASSING so PLEASE do not walk over to the area we are considering. That could disrupt our plans if one got caught in there. Yes, there are signs stating such.

There are many many things to discuss in the future such as solar power, runway work, install or not install the GeoTex runway, canopy... but lets just handle one thing at a time for now.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Today, 12:52 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,895 Posts
I was very excited to hear about this over the weekend. I say even if we are only there 2-3 years, we HAVE to put the GeoTex down. We only had it in place like what, 8 months at Rodeo? I would be happy to spend a Saturday there installing it.

Looking forward to hearing more about this!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Today, 01:26 AM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,170 Posts
.....and you know what?.....

I think the recycling facility for Gilbert is directly East where we can drop off used / old Lipo batteries too
Quiet E. Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Quiet E. Flyer
Old Today, 03:00 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,266 Posts
Big plans. Big plans.

When we get our new field, the first thing I'm gonna do is plant the bucket of GQF dirt I have been keeping in my garage ever since!

Dig a hole, surround it with garden block and pour the dirt right in!

Second, I know exactly what the first airplane I'm gonna fly is! Since my very last flight at GQF was the Spruce Goose maiden, the Spruce Goose MUST be the first plane I fly at the new field.
Old Today, 09:09 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,880 Posts
Could Barrett be arrested for burying a dead body there?

IMO, we need to put quarter minus under the fabric like we had or we may have other problems after a rain. I found some for around $3.00/ton plus around $80 delivery for 24 tons (full semi load is 24 tons).
I also found a person to help with tractors for this but we may have to comp him a lifetime membership if he does.
AND...
Gilbert would have to be on board with this too.
Also, the drive would need to be gravel too or we would make a mud fest getting in/out of there and that, among other things, becomes a safety issue. If you ever see my brother-in-law's face you will understand.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Today, 09:35 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Could Barrett be arrested for burying a dead body there?
For dead bodies, I prefer concrete