SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2014, 01:17 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2008
338 Posts
Discussion
How "tight" should your left stick be?

I've had a few radios since entering the hobby, all having different throttle setups. Some ratchet, some are tight, and some are loose. The latest DX9 seems awfully loose. I've had difficulty learning certain maneuvers and maybe this is why (I can't get steady power while using the rudder)

Example of my throttle....

DX9 Left Stick Tightness (0 min 44 sec)
Kevinfred is offline Find More Posts by Kevinfred
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 01:26 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,074 Posts
holy guacamole
i have a Dx6i but your video had me running to my Tx to check it out. ask here too: http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/ - should be a dedicated Dx9 thread there.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:06 AM
Joined Oct 2008
338 Posts
Shoot, didn't see that section - can a MOD move my thread please?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:06 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,885 Posts
Throttle friction tension and other channels spring tension are all adjustable, refer to your manual(rtfm ), or take the back off and look

I run all mine at max spring tension to help prevent unintended inputs
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Last edited by David Hogue; Sep 28, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:42 AM
Joined Oct 2008
338 Posts
I know it's adjustable... I guess I just didn't know if it's a personal preference thing or if the tension is "supposed" to be a certain way.

Sorry if I''m making a bigger deal of it than I should. I just can't do a certain maneuver and I'm trying to break down every possible reason why. Been trying for 2 years and can't do it.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:13 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
Stick tension is very much a personal thing. Additionally, the type of models you fly and how you fly them will influence your preference.

My flying style/preference is mostly for pattern type aerobatics. Over the past year I have increased the stick tension on all four controls. Now, when I input aileron for example, I'm less likely to add an unwanted elevator input at the same time and, so on and so forth with other inputs.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:54 AM
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
698 Posts
My new DX9's stick tension is a little too loose for my tastes. It is similar to what you have shown in the video. I tried to adjust the stick tension with no noticeable change. I guess I will have to learn to like it. Stick tension is one very minor "minus" in a sea of plusses.
GLHS592 is offline Find More Posts by GLHS592
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:07 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,084 Posts
Stick tension is a personal thing. Having said that the vast majority of competition pilots I've met set theirs to the upper end of the tension range to get more rapid centring and less undesired "mixing" of controls (I.e. throttle and rudder) due to human error.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:32 PM
Built For Comfort
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
691 Posts
I like my flying to be as smooth and precise as possible so I max out the stick tensions and use a transmitter tray with wrist rests. The tray took some getting used to. Now I won't fly without it.

TP
Tepid Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Old Sep 29, 2014, 02:10 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,082 Posts
The teflon mod makes a HUGE difference, stock if you crank it down tight it has a lot of stiction. I like mine fairly tight but it's all a matter of preference.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Sep 29, 2014, 02:45 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,819 Posts
I found the way the DX9 shipped was waaaaaay too limp on the throttle tension.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Oct 07, 2014, 02:27 AM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
289 Posts
My left stick moves smooth and light enough but when I let go it springs back to center
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus
Old Oct 07, 2014, 03:39 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,031 Posts
The stick in the OP video is way too loose in my opinion.

I fly with quite a loose non-ratcheted stick because I fly helis, where the power difference between two ratchet clicks was too much for a smooth hover. But I do like it to be tight enough that it will stay where it is if I take my thumb off it. I soon got used to flying my planks without the ratchet.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Oct 07, 2014, 06:13 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,967 Posts
Go to mode 1 and the problem will dissappear.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:44 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
The stick in the OP video is way too loose in my opinion.

I fly with quite a loose non-ratcheted stick because I fly helis, where the power difference between two ratchet clicks was too much for a smooth hover. But I do like it to be tight enough that it will stay where it is if I take my thumb off it. I soon got used to flying my planks without the ratchet.
Yup, same here, I'll never go back to a ratchet. But yeah, how tight should the sticks be... at least tight enough to support their own weight.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat