SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2014, 10:03 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,659 Posts
Discussion
Setup modes of TD ships

I am setting up a TD ship. I am at a loss of some of the terms and actual set up. I understand the launch, cruise, speed, and thermal modes. But what is landing mode and what does it do? Thanks in advance.

Sherpa
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2014, 10:27 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,800 Posts
I fly a Futaba 8FG and I have my flaps on the throttle stick. When the stick is all the way up the flaps are up. i.e. The full throttle position if you will. When the stick is all the way up I have full control of camber and reflex by either a slider or switch. When I move the stick aft about 5% landing mode is entered. This will take any camber or reflex that is in and also start deploying the flaps. This 5% is kind of a buffer so a little movement of the flap lever it won't go ino landing mode. This way if I forget to neutralize reflex/camber it will automatically go there when the flaps are deployed.

Once below the 5% you could also have different control throw settings, such as increased rudder throw, differential on the ailerons to avoid over controlling, etc...

It is important to make sure that trims, control throws, expo etc are all set for each mode that you choose to use. If you have five modes it is like having five completely different set ups.

Hope this helps.
Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Feb 01, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2014, 12:27 AM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,659 Posts
Curtis,

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand the setting for each of the modes could and maybe different. What I dont understand is why have a landing mode. What does it do?

By the way I will be driving through Helena in July.

Sherpa
Old Feb 02, 2014, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,627 Posts
Landing mode on the flap stick assures that you don't accidentally land with a reflexed TE, or some other odd mixing combination like reverse differential, launch camber or low rates on the ailerons.

When you pull the stick, you get whatever you think is the best combination of throws and mixes to ensure you hit the 100 every time. No worries about the position of your switches , sliders or knobs.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Feb 02, 2014, 02:11 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,564 Posts
^^^What he said^^^^
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Feb 02, 2014, 09:18 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwemmer View Post
Curtis,

By the way I will be driving through Helena in July.

Sherpa
Busy month but if you have time give me a ring.
You can find my details at TailwindGliders.com
Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2014, 11:27 AM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,659 Posts
Avaldes, thanks. That was what I was missing. I have flown RES for a number of years and now my education is in high gear as I set up my full house glider. Thanks for the help.

Sherpa
Old Feb 02, 2014, 02:41 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,875 Posts
It would help to know what Tx you have Rick...
My 11x doesn't have a "Landing Mode" proper, but it does in a way, because when the throttle stick is pulled, it switches on or off many different programmable mixes.
A MAJOR example is:

1. Snapflap switched OFF when the throttle stick is starting to move...definitely don't want snapflap in the LZ.
2. Flaps moving as ailerons, again switched off in this condition.....Again, flaps should stay even or you will get a boat-load of adverse yawing!

So, as you can see, depending on the radio, you may or may not have a "landing flight mode", but there are certain things you want to accomplish when you start with the short approach to the spot.

I sort of disagree with Aaron (which makes me wonder if I'm wrong!), but I have the throttle stick active in speed, cruise, or thermal modes. I sometimes pick the flight mode on approach based on my timing, and upwind/downwind approaches. If early, you may find me in thermal to try to slow the plane down on approach; if late, I will be in speed on approach.

The only time my throttle sick isn't active is in launch mode, then I have it locked out to avoid issues on launch if the throttle stick is accidentally cracked.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 02, 2014, 04:07 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
We had a extensive discussion about landing mode some time ago. Personally I am one of those who do not have a landing mode. I thought that was the most usual arrangement - and I am pretty sure that this is the case in Europe. However, here in RcGroups using landing mode was very popular.

My reasoning for not having landing mode is flexibility. Final approach air speed depends on wind. I like to have some control of ground speed. Sometimes I come in with reflex TE, sometimes with slow thermal mode. Depends on wind…

Another rationale is KISS. When not using landing mode one cannot forget it. This problem can be solved by switching landing mode on via throttle stick.

Whatever way you set your tx, good landings are 99.9% about practice.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Feb 02, 2014, 04:27 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,564 Posts
I have my radio set up so that I do not get any flap movement for the first couple of clicks of the stick. I do this just in case I am not keeping the stick all the way up. My landing mode is controlled by the flap stick as well, but the mode itself does not kick in until maybe 8-10 degrees of stick movement. This way if I want to be in camber/reflex on landing I can stay there until I start to get flaps out. I also like having the radio set up so my flaps are always active and the landing mode is the highest priority. For things like pop offs/line breaks it makes it easy, just drop a bit on the flap stick and I am out of launch mode, and then I can fumble for the switch!!

Bottom line is that with today's radios there are a bunch of different possibilities so set up your plane in a way that makes sense to you and your radio can likely accommodate your!
Old Feb 02, 2014, 06:16 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,659 Posts
Thanks to all who have responded.

I have a JR 9303 radio. It has 5 modes. Launch, Cruise, Thermal, Speed, and Landing. As I go through the instructions I am finding how to set up each mode. As I have flown mostly RES the past 10 years, I have not kept up with the latest technology. So this led to the question what was landing mode and what does it do. I so appreciate the quick and precise help you all have given. I will for now have just 3 modes, launch, thermal, and reflex. Maybe when I grow into the other modes I will add them, but for now I think 3 is enough.

Sherpa
Old Feb 02, 2014, 07:43 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
Quote:

I will for now have just 3 modes, launch, thermal, and reflex. Maybe when I grow into the other modes I will add them, but for now I think 3 is enough.

Sherpa
I'd suggest you add cruise for a total of 4 modes...... you will spend a lot of time in cruise mode while looking for thermals. I have a 9303 and a 9503 heli radio and have thermal / cruise / reflex on the top left, and launch on the top right. Launch over rides all other modes. I wish I could do a stick switch so I can try a landing mode, but pretty sure these radios don't do that.

Bruce
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Feb 02, 2014, 07:47 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,875 Posts
I like Launch as the "Priority" mode, on a two position switch (on/off).
This over-rides everything.
When it is switched off, then a 3 position switch is in effect- Reflex, cruise (in section), and camber). The throttle stick switch for landing is then active in any of these modes, doing what we spoke of earlier.

So the way it works normally is, I step up to the winch, 3 posit switch in "reflex". Then I flip on the launch switch, and the plane is in launch camber. I launch, get up to the ping, flip off the launch switch, and the wing is then in reflex. I ping off, push over at the top (lots of down throw, with some expo too), and then I'm off and running to the lift in reflex mode. When I get to the "hunting area" I shift to cruise. When I find lift, I use thermal mode.
You want to have that "in section" cruise mode Rick. Often in turbulent air of an unruly thermal, the faster flying speed of in section is better (for me) than slower with the wing cambered.
Just a heads up. I would consider 3 flying flight modes, and launch to be the minimum you need, and still pretty simple and it works.
Landing should be activated by the throttle stick movement, in my opinion, a couple clicks from the top, and Bill mentioned.

R,
Target

Hahaha, me and Bruce are on the same page....
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 02, 2014, 10:29 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,564 Posts
Launch is my second highest priority, only the landing mode can over ride it. Works for me.
Old Feb 03, 2014, 04:51 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
Quote:

I have a JR 9303 radio. It has 5 modes. Launch, Cruise, Thermal, Speed, and Landing. As I go through the instructions I am finding how to set up each mode. As I have flown mostly RES the past 10 years, I have not kept up with the latest technology. So this led to the question what was landing mode and what does it do. I so appreciate the quick and precise help you all have given. I will for now have just 3 modes, launch, thermal, and reflex. Maybe when I grow into the other modes I will add them, but for now I think 3 is enough.
I think the point is made quite clear. Keep it simple.

Generally speaking, if you want to have landing mode, program the switch to throttle stick, it is the most simple solution. A kind of "invisible" flight mode. But it is equally good to go without landing mode. Competitions are won all the time without landing mode. Transmitters that have a spesific F3X software (like Graupner) are usually designed for the latter setup.

If I were in your position I would use the 5 modes in following way: 1 launch, 2 reflex (zoom with this), 3 normal (neutral trailing edge), 4 thermal, 5 extreme thermal or floatig mode. Ideally you also have zoom mode, but that is not possible within the 5 modes. Only if your tx has more than 7 flights modes, you can have a landing mode without sacrifising any of the priorities.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo