SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,367 Posts
Discussion
Tail pitch slider clicks when too tight

I stated in a recent post, in a different thread, about my experience with my tail pitch slider. When I first built my 450 exi heli, the tail pitch slider would always come unscrewed, rendering the tail completely useless, which then the heli just spun around. I searched this problem then and found it is a common problem for some people due to the tail rotating counter clockwise and the tail pitch slider tightening clockwise,so eventually it would just come unscrewed. To fix this I read to use red loctite and retighten it. Which since then has always worked for me. However I found that if I tightened it too much I would hear a clicking noise, rotating the main rotors by hand, or under power- either one. Which sounded like it came from inside my tail or maybe closer to the tail drive gear. So I applied loctite and tightened the tail pitch slider until when I rotated the main rotors by hand the clicking wasn't there.

Now, my question is... why? I could never figure out why tightening that slider too much would cause the clicking. I never cared once I figured out the problem then, but now it's starting to bug me because it doesn't seem to make sense. I'm kinda scared that if I start flying mild-hard 3d, one day the tail slider will come undone again, causing me to lose control and whamO.

Anyone have this same problem, or a theory as to why it does this? Or what was actually making the noise?
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
It's the balls in the bearing making the noise. When the bearing is tightened down, the balls don't run around smoothly - they "jump" around the races, and you hear them click when they slam into each other. Loosening the loading on the bearing is the solution, and as long as it's tight enough to stay together, it's fine.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,367 Posts
thanks for responding jasmin,

that's kind of what I was thinking at the time, but it doesn't explain where the sound seemed to be coming from... I guess the vibration or whatever is traveling up the tail and shaking something else? Or the actual noise was going through the tail (possibly amplifying slightly?) and I'm hearing it come out the front side of the tail, as opposed to the end of the tail (where I would expect it to come from). I guess I don't need to know, it was just really bugging me when the clicking was going on because who would have guessed that I needed to loosen the tail slider? I only caught it because I knew I had just adjusted the slider, and that was the last thing I did before the noise started. At the same time I was new to helis, and was trying to solve a few other problems.

It seems like it has to be pretty loose actually, and the loctite is all that's holding it together. Since the loctite, I've never had the slider loosening problem again, so I guess it's ok.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:48 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Well yeah, the bearing at the front can make the sound too. They are all of similar construction, and the sound is fairly common. It doesn't mean the bearing is overloaded necessarily, but your adjustments caused the sound, so it's hard to say. I've heard that sound on many helicopters that were working perfectly, and it's really a judgement call. Like a skateboard wheel - that's the sound you are hearing, the balls clicking together. If everything feels smooth, just ignore the sound.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,367 Posts
Cool, thanks.

I don't get the sound anymore, and everything has held up so far with the loctite. So I guess I'll stay doing that, because the noise it made before may not be a really bad thing as you state, but it sounded awful.

Thanks again.