HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:59 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Having the battery hanging below frees up the fuselage for much better airflow over the ESC as well as room for a small OSD.

Lands real softly in grass so the battery doesn't get pounded on landing.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:57 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Getting close to goal of 30 minutes FPV flight time.

Flew again with the 2700 mah 3s battery. Flew a large lap around my flying field around 4 miles in circumference. Climb and glide mostly, made 3 complete laps plus a I circled my landing site a few times. Landed with 36% left on the battery. Total time in the air: 25 minutes. Total throttle time: 4 1/2 minutes. Put back 1676 mah after charging.

That works out to 6 miles range, easy.

Makes for a nice, compact short to mid-range FPV platform that fits in my trunk . Super simple, no OSD, gyro, etc.
After launch it is out of sight and sound within seconds, comes back silently and can land in a area of grass the size of a sheet of plywood.
Empty space you get in fuselage by hanging the battery underneath will comfortably fit a small OSD with the GPS out back on the boom.

Love how the Kunai flies at 26oz.
Last edited by ecworks; Nov 26, 2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:25 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
361 Posts
You're gonna make me have to mod my #2 for a 4s2700 for @26oz.

Remember I already doubled the fuselage strength and wing for 4s. A Thunder Power 4s2700 could give 10 minutes of 75% throttle.
DeadstickDuck is online now Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Nov 26, 2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:19 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
What specific 4s battery are you using for your setup. ?.
Chinahobbyline.com

4s 1000mah
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
Old Nov 26, 2014, 08:47 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzejamez View Post
Chinahobbyline.com

4s 1000mah
Do you consider yourself an aficionado of cheap batteries?
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Nov 26, 2014, 09:58 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
361 Posts
I pay a little more for peace of mind and cycle life.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Nov 26, 2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,165 Posts
Chinahobbyline's lipos are cheap....in price only. Try a few and see for yourself.
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Pushed out to 1.5 miles with the FPV Kunai, using the FrSky L9R rx with the 7 dbi tx antenna mod. Only had cloverleafs on both ends of the video so it started to get a little noisy so I turned back. I'll try again with the 7 turn 5.8 helical, that usually will get you to at least 3 miles solid. Coasted back deadstick from 1 mile out starting at 400'.

Really think the Kunai flies better heavy, tail wag calms down and tracks on rails.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Chinahobbyline's lipos are cheap....in price only. Try a few and see for yourself.
+1

I get all my batteries from them.

They are excellent quality.

Jason is great to deal with too.
mrfirkin is online now Find More Posts by mrfirkin
Old Today, 12:02 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
361 Posts
Sounds like a familiar argument....

My Texaco gasoline is so much better than that Chevron crap they are selling for 3 cents less a gallon down the street. ....

..but Dude that 3 cents adds up, I think gas is gas is gas.... It doesn't matter in the long run. Saving 45 cents is saving just the same.

.....Ummm, Dude?...? You drive 7 miles to save 45 cents. Wasting $2 in gas to save 45 cents is ignorant Dude....LOL.

Oh, I see your point. The best gas is the stuff you have nearby.....

AkA...... CinnamonZebraFishBatteries.com may be the best bang for the buck when you deal with international shipping and customs when there are fewer choices. Here in the USA it is grossly annoying sometimes when you have 75 lipo brands selling nearly the same packs over a huge price range.

Thunder Power 6s5000 70C $298
Hobbyking 6s5000 60C $89

The TP pack lasts 3x longer.... 3x cost.
Crash the airplane on flight #100...... The HK battery sure feels like the better deal.

But you dont see a HK battery in a $2000 competition model. They pay 3x cost to save 3oz in weight and the higher voltage at WOT gives them 75rpm more...

In other words.... Buy what you feel is the better value for your money. Just dont complain when someone's Kunai seems faster than yours because they actually spent $16 for battery-X and your battery-Z was only $10....

(Well actually ..... Umm, I'm running 4s if you didn't hear the 4 beeps on ESC start-up) ...... Dude, you're like on 3s!

Buhahahahah
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Today at 12:20 AM.
Old Today, 04:21 PM
Life is good!
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Jul 2007
133 Posts
There is no replacement for displacement!

I get the same comments about my 65 Mustang. See, I left the 200 ci in-line six in it. Everyone says you should drop a bored out 302 ci with fuel injection and twin turbos. LoL. That wasn't what I bought the car for. Don't get me wrong, it's anything but stock, but I'm happy with the choices I've made. It runs great, sounds great and stops and steers the way I want it to. Now I'm just enjoying the ride.
strat1960s is offline Find More Posts by strat1960s
Old Today, 04:48 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
361 Posts
If you enjoy the ride each time you go out for a run, then the value is spot on. You don't worry about what others have, you know best when you can smile when the guy next to you is looking for that satisfaction you already enjoy.

KISS mentality

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
Old Today, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
758 Posts
Heck maybe I am dumb and all but the thing performs pretty darn skippy with the stock engine, prop, and 'recommended' battery size (3s).

Near vertical climbs. Maybe I just live in 'thick' air.
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Today, 06:08 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
361 Posts
No man...LOL

They designed a very good kit and in stock form already feels better than you would think a plane should for the money they charge.

It's just those of us with 20 other planes who desire that extra kick to fill a performance gap in what we already have. Icing on the cake!

A stock Kunai is great cake on its own.