HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,765 Posts
Question
Talon settings

Hi guys , I got the talon speed control for my new heli build , im using a Scoripion 4020-1100 , what are the settings for the talon ? ... Thanks .. Dennis
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Last edited by Dennis Everett; Mar 03, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:51 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,946 Posts
That ESC only has two voltage settings. http://www.castlecreations.com/products/talon.html

If you have good quality efficient servos the internal BEC should be ok for a 500-size FBL helicopter. Make sure everything is free and no binding.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 08, 2013, 04:31 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,765 Posts
what are the rest of the settings ? ppm rate , kHz , timing ect ...
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Apr 08, 2013, 04:46 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
what are the rest of the settings ? ppm rate , kHz , timing ect ...
Once you choose the heli throttle type, the default values are really good enough.

Just check that the parameters for cutoff type (=soft) and overcurrent (=insensitive) are the recommended ones for helis.

The ESC finds the timing on its own, and the parameter for timing is just for adjusting around this point. Most of us use either "medium" (the default) to "low" for this choice.

PWM default rate is 12kHz for the ICE series, and I guess the same for the Talon.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:45 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
The Scorpion manual says to use 8 kHz about 8 times. This is the correct setting for Scorpion motors, one of the few motors that respond to this setting by running better.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:02 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Wolfard View Post
The Scorpion manual says to use 8 kHz about 8 times. This is the correct setting for Scorpion motors, one of the few motors that respond to this setting by running better.

Bernie

I have several Scorpion motors (large and small) and have never been able to tell a difference between 8 and 12. Has CC actually run any lab tests that show 8 is better than 12?

Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Wolfard View Post

Bernie
Maybe that has something to do with Scorpion ESC's only being 8kHz PWM.

I too have used Scorpion motors a lot, and find like all motors, they perform slightly better at higher PWM. Unfortunately the ESC's, as I am sure you are already aware, run hotter at higher pwm settings. So the net result is that it doesn't matter a lot if you go 8 or 12kHz. I have run Scorpions even as high as 24kHz with my old Phoenix ESC's in the past with no impacts. Couldn't do that with my ICE 50, the ICE couldn't even make the motor start at 24kHz. I assumed that with logging its controller was just too busy, but running at 12kHz was fine.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:43 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hahn View Post
Maybe that has something to do with Scorpion ESC's only being 8kHz PWM.

LOL - that’s probably it. If their ESC’s will only do 8 KHz then they are going to recommend that for every motor they make even if it’s not optimal - LOL.

Since CC had all the fancy test equipment it would be really interested to see what is optimal for Scorpion motors. It’s probably different for the various series of motors that they make.