SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Discussion
Satori question

Hello. I have question for Satori pilots. When in thermal mode, are the alierons even with the flap camber or does the alierons stay in the normal position (even with wing tip)? Thermal mode only.
Thanks,
Ind
Indgroove is offline Find More Posts by Indgroove
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: This Forum is Great
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, NY, Hopewell Junction
Joined Sep 2004
155 Posts
Ailerons should follow the flaps in all flight modes except landing.
rcglider is online now Find More Posts by rcglider
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:09 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcglider View Post
Ailerons should follow the flaps in all flight modes except landing.
This is only true for straight non-turning flight. Inducing a turn changes things and the amount of flap-aileron mixing will vary with a number of factors, including personal taste. Rarely will a TD ship have flaps following ailerons at 100% in all flight modes in all flight regimes.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:12 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,715 Posts
Same camber across the whole wing. I flew Satori's for a long time. Great planes. They don't like big camber changes. My max thermal camber was only 2mm droop measured at flap root, anymore and it would get stall happy.
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2004
155 Posts
JT,

I meant that the ailerons should follow flaps in regard to camber across all flight modes except landing. If I was unclear, I apologize.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,569 Posts
Quote:
JT,

I meant that the ailerons should follow flaps in regard to camber across all flight modes except landing. If I was unclear, I apologize.
No problem, just trying to make it real clear for the OP.
JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
I maiden the Satori today. Wow!
After 5 handlaunches I went to the hi start. I was instructed on hi start launches
last week. There are not many glider pilots here in Knoxville, Tn. so I am own my own. So today I did my launches with no help and it wet well. It is hard to tell if I need to adjust my launch settings. With everything going on I am not sure about my launch trajectory. I didnt crash and no pop offs so maybe I am okay.

What do I need to look for on launch? Whats too flat? Whats too steep (on launches?)

With the Satori, do some of you guys launch in speed or cruise mode?

Ind
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:32 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,715 Posts
I never bungeed my Satori's with any camber, just normal section. If you are going up a winch then make a launch setting, dont worry about it for a bungee.
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2004
155 Posts
Because the typical hi-start launch is considerably less powerful than a winch launch, the launch settings are usually less aggressive. You will need to work up to your optimum launch to find out how much camber you can safely use. I would start with your normal mode and if that is too flat then adjust launch mode to copy your thermal camber. If you still need more, then try adjusting the amount of launch mode camber upward in 1 degree steps.

Note that the power producing elements here are first the strength of the hi-start itself and then then strength of your head wind. Put them together and you see that optimal settings would vary based on the wind strength. You can usually find a compromise setting as long as the wind doesn't vary by great amounts.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Because the typical hi-start launch is considerably less powerful than a winch launch, the launch settings are usually less aggressive. You will need to work up to your optimum launch to find out how much camber you can safely use. I would start with your normal mode and if that is too flat then adjust launch mode to copy your thermal camber. If you still need more, then try adjusting the amount of launch mode camber upward in 1 degree steps.

Note that the power producing elements here are first the strength of the hi-start itself and then then strength of your head wind. Put them together and you see that optimal settings would vary based on the wind strength. You can usually find a compromise setting as long as the wind doesn't vary by great amounts.
When you say "normal mode" do you mean cruise mode when I have no camber?
Thank you for the help.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2004
155 Posts
Yes, normal mode and cruise mode are usually the same. With the Satori, line up the flaps with the matching section on the fuselage. Then, line up the ailerons with the flaps and this is your "normal" mode.

Your reflex mode would be up 1.5 to 2 mm on the flaps and ailerons measured from "normal", while thermal camber mode would be down on the flaps and ailerons 1.5 to 2mm.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Thanks again!!! I launched the Satori today at the recommended setting of cruise. Great launches!!! Much better!!!
An experence glider pilot showed up and showed me a few things and the launches improved. When he flew it, WOW. The Satori is a nice plane. It was trimmed properly, just need better launch techique and the right launch mode.

I am using a hosemaster 3 meter hi start. (50 feet of rubber and 250 ft. of string)
I walked 50 steps to launch. How many steps should I take with this hi start?
Ind
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Sep 2004
155 Posts
Glad to hear your launches went well. And good that someone came along to help get the launch tuned in. As far as hi-start stretch, most often the amount to stretch is 3 to 4 times the unstretched length of the rubber, so roughly 150-200 feet. If your step is 3 feet long, that would be 50 to 70 steps. Most people have a somewhat shorter stride so if your's is shorter also then just add a few more steps.

A lot of guys go with the pull of the rubber instead of how far to stretch. Usually use 4 to 5 times the weight of your airplane. The Satori is about 4 1/2 pounds so say 16 to 20 pounds of pull. If you have a digital fish scale, that is all you need. Measuring the pull helps to eliminate the variation caused by temperature changes.

One last thing, be careful with a hi-start in cold weather. If you stretch it when it is too cold out you can ruin the hi-start. And, as you know, a good Hosemaster setup is not cheap.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Thank you to everyone that answered my questions. This forum is very valuable.
I apreciate all the help I received. Thanks again.
I will try to get comfortable with the hi start then go to the winch. Hopefully, by spring I will start hi start launches.
In the mean time, I'll keep practicing and hit the gym. After 7 or 8 launches my arm gets tired.
Ind
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
I am comfortable with the high start. Getting good launches, finding good thermals.
Today I started to launch when a thermal pass through and the wind direction changed 90 degrees. I know that means a thermal has influenced the prevailing wind direction. My question is, if I were using a winch what is the proper launch technique when the head wind changes (say 90 degrees or more) from the prevailing wind? ( in other words, I cannot launch into the wind)

Thanks
RCG Plus Member