HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:52 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
790 Posts
Very interesting, isn't there a fill between vertices....I thnk it is called "Make Edge/Face"? I think you define the vertices and hit the "F" key in the mesh edit mode. The only caveat is you can only have 3 or 4 vertices selected at a time. So, if you have alot of veertices to join this method could take you some time, but if done correctly you could pull it off.
Good luck,
DT
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Yup, I found that feature finally but it was "fill" I think that did it for me. I'm just getting back to it after Thanksgiving. Right before I turned off the computer for the holiday I found a neater cleaner way to make the shape by starting with a circle and stretching it out to a parabola and then rotating it through 180 degrees. The mesh that made was perfect. I'll keep working on it.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:27 AM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
790 Posts
Very good, keep at it and keep us posted with your progress.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Yup, I'm still at it. I'm working on a wing to see if maybe it could be 3D printed. Think Easystar style with the curvy dihedral and tapered tips. I found out how to use bevel object to extrude one bezier following the curve of another. There's also a taper object but I cant get that under control.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
I figured out the taper and bevel objects kinda. It'd be nice to be able to make it for real.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:21 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
790 Posts
Keep at it, it looks like you are getting the hang of the curves.
I have started to work on a 3 view drawing of a Russian fighter from WWII.
I will post a pic when I have something worthwhile to show.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
DeadTom, please post it when youre finished. I submitted a wing tip to shapeways and I plan to use it to make a mold. I removed a bunch of faces to make it affordable and I'll fill that to turn it into a plug.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
I just got my test airfoil back from shapeways. The accuracy is pretty amazing and it isnt even the material they suggest for detail. I can see where I could have smoothed the nurbs curve a little better.

This is where I start wondering if I need a better CAD program or is there a lot more I should be able to do with Blender.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:00 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
As Blender is SFX oriented is doesn't claim to be a technical CAD program, way more for illustration or animation works.... I use C4D for this...

in technical CAD ... and if you would have very precise drawings you could derive 3D information by redrawing panel lines sections and similar 2 D line information .... extrude them to prisms and calculate the intersection lines ...
Afterwards rework them and so get a preliminary loose mesh you could base a NURBS Surface on.... much work left for max accuracy.

( I'm not involved into Blender works but it looks like that blender uses triangle meshing algorithms ok for standard shaders for rendering and so on, but not that much suitable to generate tech CAD files from
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:16 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
As Blender is SFX oriented is doesn't claim to be a technical CAD program, way more for illustration or animation works.... I use C4D for this...

in technical CAD ... and if you would have very precise drawings you could derive 3D information by redrawing panel lines sections and similar 2 D line information .... extrude them to prisms and calculate the intersection lines ...
Afterwards rework them and so get a preliminary loose mesh you could base a NURBS Surface on.... much work left for max accuracy.

( I'm not involved into Blender works but it looks like that blender uses triangle meshing algorithms ok for standard shaders for rendering and so on, but not that much suitable to generate tech CAD files from
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
Thanks Harpye. I kinda wonder if I need that formula 1 car just yet when a fiat 500 makes a good commuter. I know Blender shows coordinates of things and I can make adjustments and cursor placement using that info. I guess I'll try to learn what I can from it and break out when I know I need more.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
No offend - Blender is generally ok ( I have my issues with the GUI comming from other SW... I also feel in a strage environment when digging into Z Brush.

Every kind of SW is made for it's special purpose... Depends on what you want to do with your plane ... cutting??? then a tech CAD would be necessary as you are not able to derieve dimensions or post detail your work for technical purposes! Alternately or instead of Blender ... you could try Caligary truespace.... Since microsoft had hijacked Caligary its free ! ( dont think t is further supported but works nicely!

http://www.chip.de/downloads/trueSpace_32310554.html

Here is my last attempt on Strange CAD Tools Little bit low detail but I'm no Huntsman and no boar, so I did this just from fantasy - Tool name sharps construct and its free!
Last edited by Harpye; Dec 20, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
I looked at Truespace and that's hideous and further from CAD than Blender. I've seen some very technical things done with blender like gears and an enitre ball bearing assembly based on actual dimensions, so I know it can be very precise.

Even so, I downloaded Draftsight and I'm going through tutorials. It even has some 3D but there are a lot of concepts I need to learn before I can use it. What I've seen so far looks nice but complicated.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
I started 3D during my studies using 3DS and Max and a tiny bit of Softimage!

Softimage is also CAD but the GUI is more or less oriented in directiuon of little animation sequences or short clips... but I think it is also NURBS and SPLINE oriented surface modeling!

( A buddy of mine wrote his thesis on rendering technologies comming up that time -> good thing .. he had the knowledge ... and the key for the PC pools and workstations ( spent several weekends there with him). But since that time I stick with C4D ( Ce6+ which is quite old, but for my static requirements its still useful!) As my original interest are more of mechatronic nature I passed several 2 and 3 D CAD applications but now stick with the rhinoceros for the last 12 years ...

...Recent activities .. see below:
Last edited by Harpye; Dec 22, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,638 Posts
That's very nice, Harpye.