HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:45 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,171 Posts
Question
What is the proper way to set the presure regulator on a YS

Yet another small issue with my YS 53. While it generally runs pretty good at times, mostly at full throttle it sounds like it is almost detonating. Bring it back to idle and it will then run at full throttle just fine for a bit again. The HS needle is very sensitive also. I'm guessing I have and issue with the regulator setting but don't really know. The on line manual is not very helpful diagnosing this problem.

The only other thing that bothers is shut down. I'm using throttle cut on my Hitec A9, set to the max amount and I can't kill the engine. I'm guessing an air leak some place???? It would just about have to be on the carb, correct????

Thanks! Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,664 Posts
You are probably rushing the adjustment and winding up too lean . It probably IS detonating . With the YS there is a lag between the needle change and the engine's response . The YS is running at above atmospheric so it will detonate rather abruptly . It is best to get the mixture set before you mount that nice new spinner !

Run the needle in a click or two at a time , WAIT a few seconds . At the first hint of lean , back off a couple hundred RPM . You will still have power to spare .

If you have an air leak in the case area , all bets are off. The valve cover especially needs to seal up perfectly .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,171 Posts
OK, I figured out why I was having so much trouble, or at least part of the trouble. I was using my "opposite" had to adjust the needle valve. I normally use my left hand, even though I am right handed, to make needle adjustments. I used my right hand and was leaning the needle

What ever you do don't stick you hand in a spinning prop. It makes you do stupid stuff months later!

Now on to find why I can't kill the engine with the throttle barrel.
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497