HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
wjs, you were also right about only needing two receivers for direction, but your timer will have to be extremely accurate. I would suggest that two remote RXs be placed in the wing tips.
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:56 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
However, I did realize an important point. The plane doesn't need to know its location, or the location of the home to return to. It just needs to know which direction to go.
Exactly, and with a directional loop antenna only one transmitter and one receiver is needed for that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
The Japanese may have used the radio signals from Hawaii as an aid, but I'm pretty sure that they knew where it was anyway.
Indeed, they knew where it was in relation to their carriers. However, they launched from 230 miles out at sea, and what they didn't know was the wind speed and direction along the route. If they simply took up a compass heading and there was a strong cross wind they could have missed their target by many miles.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Good points.

I did some research into the loop antenna, it is my feeling that it could work, but part of the advantage of the loop is that it excludes signals that are not in the desired path. I would think that it would be better for the purpose of RH to maintain a strong signal at all times so that the orientation of the aircraft is not a factor. BTW, I think that this is an interesting and educational discussion, but in light of the other technologies available I don't think that it is the best way to do it. (With one or two.)
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Last edited by Logan4169; Dec 22, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:37 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,245 Posts
Aircraft orientation is not a factor. The loop antenna is used only for direction finding information. Aircraft control signals are still received by the regular receiver quarter wave antenna. Also the loop antenna is rotatable so the direction information to the transmitter is independent of aircraft heading. Even so, it is still an impractical system to use on RPVs.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
973 Posts
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Last edited by alibongo; Dec 23, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
973 Posts
Although I played with rc decades ago, I am newly returned.
I would be grateful if someone could answer these two questions:
1.is there really a gyro or stabilizer for fixed wing rc planes?I can see that some such would be useful on a heli as so much inertia is generated by the main blades, but I can't see how it would be used on a conventional plane.
2.are the learning aids advertised on beginner planes really useful?I can appreciate that advertising them would boost sales, but has anyone actually found them effective?
Please appreciate I learnt to fly in the days when servo reverse was a luxury on Txs, and am still stuck in those old ways.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,698 Posts
They certainly have their place in the fixed wing world now. Not really a plug and play if you will but if implemented in the right manner they can be a lot of help.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:39 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,020 Posts
alibongo,

Yes, there are several gyro systems designed specifically for fixed wing. See my earlier posts in this thread for my take on the pros and cons.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer