HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
As has been already stated, protocols cannot be patented - only their specific implementations. This has been tested in courts ad nauseum by the computer industry, and it's vanishingly unlikely to change because of RC players and their comparatively miniscule revenue.

Linux can talk SMB (samba). Microsoft had its own IPX/SPX stack back when that protocol suite still mattered. BSD had its own AppleTalk implementation called Netatalk. HH could litigate till they're blue in the face, but they can't legally prevent third parties from developing their own implementations of the DSM2 and DSMX _protocols_, irrespective of whether the protocol specs are published or reverse engineered.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Regardless of if it is possible to patent systems that contain interfaces :
Does anybody know if Horizon has tried to sue Orange earlier for making DSM receivers? Or if Futaba has sued FrSky for making compatible FAAST receivers?
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
As has been already stated, protocols cannot be patented - only their specific implementations. This has been tested in courts ad nauseum by the computer industry, and it's vanishingly unlikely to change because of RC players and their comparatively miniscule revenue.

Linux can talk SMB (samba). Microsoft had its own IPX/SPX stack back when that protocol suite still mattered. BSD had its own AppleTalk implementation called Netatalk. HH could litigate till they're blue in the face, but they can't legally prevent third parties from developing their own implementations of the DSM2 and DSMX _protocols_, irrespective of whether the protocol specs are published or reverse engineered.
Someone knows what they are talking about! I though we had ended this argument 15 pages ago with the exact same conclusion?

For anyone who needs an example take <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS">ReactOS</a>, a 100% white-room reverse engineered, feature complete "copy" of Windows XP. Since the developers can and has proven many times that the software was copied but merely a function (read protocol) was implemented, Microsoft cannot do anything to shut the program down.

Now if anyone still wants to argue can you please find examples where a protocol/function has been implemented, and thus gone to court, and the original designer has won. There are 4 case points already against the arguement.

Darcy
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,755 Posts
ReactOS. wow! Should go nice with OpenOffice. Amazing what I learn about here.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
But the question I have is:
Orange are not making copy Spektrum recievers, branded as spektrum, they are making their own receivers that are compatible with DSM protocol.

Isn't it similar to me buying a genuine toyota part for my car, or a 3rd party compatible part from repco? They seem to be legal.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:07 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
859 Posts
Back on topic:

New tweet on the 29th but I didnt notice it - dont think anyone else has posted it

The HobbyKing Guys ‏@HobbyKingLive

@Kuryaky1 I'm working on the QuickStart guide and as soon as its printed and all packed with CE cert they can go on sale.
https://twitter.com/HobbyKingLive
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:08 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
859 Posts
Also this tweet:

The HobbyKing Guys ‏@HobbyKingLive

Many new products coming in November! Use our mobile site to stay up to date on ur phone. Unless you have an old phone, in which case 2bad
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Literaly hot of the press! 9XR next month

Just wanted to show my face in this thread, HK just tweeted 1 minuted ago

"I have a 9XR test unit on my desk. Releases should start this month. - Anthony."

Finally we hear some news, already got my finger on the button to order!
harrisonc is offline Find More Posts by harrisonc
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined May 2005
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySean View Post
But the question I have is:
Orange are not making copy Spektrum recievers, branded as spektrum, they are making their own receivers that are compatible with DSM protocol.

Isn't it similar to me buying a genuine toyota part for my car, or a 3rd party compatible part from repco? They seem to be legal.
But early editions of the orange receiver had circuit boards that were identical to Spektrum's. Which led to an interesting question. Did they also just copy the firmware (which would be illegal) and put it on their boards? Or did they develop their own DSM2 compatible firmware?

The chipset that Spektrum uses isn't their own; if I recall correctly, it is made by Texas Instruments. The only thing they really have copyrights on is their firmware, and maybe the board layout. If someone wants to use the same TI chips and reverse engineer the over-the-air protocol, and implement it in their own software, all power to them.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
But early editions of the orange receiver had circuit boards that were identical to Spektrum's. Which led to an interesting question. Did they also just copy the firmware (which would be illegal) and put it on their boards? Or did they develop their own DSM2 compatible firmware?

The chipset that Spektrum uses isn't their own; if I recall correctly, it is made by Texas Instruments. The only thing they really have copyrights on is their firmware, and maybe the board layout. If someone wants to use the same TI chips and reverse engineer the over-the-air protocol, and implement it in their own software, all power to them.
Cypress 2.4ghz chipset - same one that the orange RX's use.
twincobra is offline Find More Posts by twincobra
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:01 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,356 Posts
Now that they obviously have access to the DSMX protocol, why don't they make the T9XR DSMX compatible like the new Orange Spektrum module, so that they can enter the market with an up-to-date RF system?

Or am I missing something?
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:10 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Now that they obviously have access to the DSMX protocol, why don't they make the T9XR DSMX compatible like the new Orange Spektrum module, so that they can enter the market with an up-to-date RF system?

Or am I missing something?
Yes, DSM2/DSMX is a feature on the 9XR.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:01 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,527 Posts
looking interesting. Especially since Spektrum has said time and time again that they can't make a DSM2/DSMX module. Seems Orange has done something with the Spektrum Protocols that Spektrum can't do.

RCmodelreviews.com, I hope you are going to take a look at this.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:16 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
looking interesting. Especially since Spektrum has said time and time again that they can't make a DSM2/DSMX module. Seems Orange has done something with the Spektrum Protocols that Spektrum can't do.

RCmodelreviews.com, I hope you are going to take a look at this.
Spectrum only say that because they want to make money off of JR's and their own upper class TXs. Now that OrangeRX has released the module and the 9XR will have a similar module they will probably rethink their stance so they can still make some money off of DSM2/DSMX.

Darcy
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:34 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
if the dsmx module was similar price to flysky module i would buy one. but it costs a lot more. maybe it will come down in time. i wonder who these "orange" guys are anyway? dont seem to be hk.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993