HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,028 Posts
Hi,

I don't remember if I've posted this before, but does anyone recognise this NVA...?

It's been living in my box of bits for ages, and I don't have a clue what make it might be....

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 23, 2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Wotsit....
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
It's been living in my box of bits for ages, and I don't have a clue what make it might be....
The mystery is solved!
In case anyone is interested to know, this NVA is Hungarian, and was fitted to the "VT-8", or "Aquila Baby" family...R/H photo shows a "VT-12", i.e. the geared marine version of Aquila Baby....

Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:09 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
The mystery is solved!
In case anyone is interested to know, this NVA is Hungarian, and was fitted to the "VT-8", or "Aquila Baby" family...R/H photo shows a "VT-12", i.e. the geared marine version of Aquila Baby....

Yes its is Aquila Baby here's a picture of mine same needle
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:37 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
737 Posts
I have the VT8 with the same needle. Pretty motor with red anodizing. Piston has a brass button on top that I think holds the piston to the con rod .

Mike1484
Mike1484 is online now Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:06 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Have been lucky enough to pick up TWO DC Spitfire/Sabre crankshafts. Thx S.
That lucky find gave me a good Sabre to go into a FF model.

Now I need a good DC Sabre 1.5 diesel piston and liner including the conta piston, and a gudgeon pin if available.....guess I can make that from a drill bit though, for the rest of the bits I have.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,524 Posts
Try bearing service for needle rollers we used to be able to buy them in 0ver sizes also ie +.003'' diam ect.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Try bearing service for needle rollers we used to be able to buy them in 0ver sizes also ie +.003'' diam ect.
Will remember that clue. Thanks. Only need piston and liner now.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,028 Posts
Badly wanted:
A sound Frog 50 backplate, to finish a 'project'....

Offer:
(The remains of) a very early "short head" Frog 50, as recently discussed in the diesel thread. The comp.lever seems to be the rare "first" version, seen on early ads...
Parts as per the photo below.
3 crankcase lugs of 4 are open (maybe a good idea to mill them off entirely & use a radial mount?)
Broken backplate lugs.
Fins a bit tatty (although fixable)...
Piston/liner unit is worn, but I think we've still got a runner, of some sort....

Trade for something "interesting", preferably including a backplate as mentioned above...I would value a backplate high, in this trade.....
Should a BP be included, I also send the radial mount backplate, as seen on the second photo....if not, unfortunately I'll need it....

I've already got 3 Frog 50's, coming well together....this would have been the 4:th......but I've decided to stop the madness at 3....

Last edited by Gluehand; Oct 27, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
266 Posts
Barbini B 38 needle valve dimensions needed please.
Can anyone tell me the thread details and the lengths and diameters of the actual needle so I can make one for a friends engine.
He's in the States and I'm in Australia.
Cheers John
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,028 Posts
Could you use this, John ?

Last edited by Gluehand; Oct 28, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
266 Posts
Quote:
Could you use this, John ?

Brilliant Sir, many thanks indeed. Just what the Doctor prescribed!
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,348 Posts
I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I figured my request belonged here, so here it is.

I purchased a used OK Cub .074 diesel a little while ago, and recently found some time to look it over. Turns out, the tip of my needle valve is broken off. So I'm looking for a replacement. Anybody know where I can track one down so I can get this old classic running again soon? Thanks!
KnifeEdge51 is offline Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,028 Posts
KnifeEdge51, your needle is (probably) designed that way.
When checking my OK Cub 049B needle, the tip is "missing" as well...i.e. there is a taper, but the last "sharp point" is missing, and I cannot recall having seen an OK needle looking different...

I have no more engine to compare with, but maybe some OK owner out there would check & confirm......
Old Aug 28, 2013, 06:48 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,348 Posts
I'll try to get a few photos up in a bit, but I don't believe mine is in "good health." It appears the needle is straight until it steps down to the actual portion that should taper. There, there's just a nub left, and it appears that the tip if the needle may be in the old fuel line attached to the engine. We'll see what the pictures show and what others may think. I suppose you could somehow be right, but I've never seen a needle made quite like this one, if you are!
KnifeEdge51 is offline Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:07 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,688 Posts
Yeah,
I like OK Cubs and I have several.
Most of the operational Cubs around today are from the "revival" engines built by Ted Brebeck through the nineties and maybe later.
One minor problem is the blunt needle end. The taper is definitely insufficient.
Actually, providing you know about it, it's no great problem. It just means that the range of needle adjustment, for running, is very small, i.e. the engine runs great providing the needle is just right. If you're half a turn away from the setting, it won't run at all after the prime has burned off.
I like them. To be honest, I hate the inaccessibility and unpredictable characteristics of the reed-valve Cox engines, and I prefer the OK Cub, with its accessible carburettor, even with the blunt needle.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member