HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Scott Seidler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:20 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Discussion
Sadly the Vulture and Mini Monstr Are No More

Well for me anyway...
It seems once Skip Miller Models found out that I also had been working with MVM models - they stepped in and forced their hand making MVM cut me off.

Its actually a little sad really - Since I had been contacted directly by MVM back in May - and SMM just bumped into the product afterwards. But me having a day job meant they could build and test their plane before I could test mine - beating me to the sale.

What is even sadder to me is it was My mistake that caused them to step in. I contacted Cody and Skip to let them know I was also selling the plane and did not want it to cause problems between us. No fighting, work together etc etc.. yada yada yada
Call it extending an olive branch.
Seems Cody took that info in a different direction and shoved that olive branch somewhere dark and nasty - I guess that teaches me a lesson huh?

After I found out about SMM product announcement I contacted MVM and this is what I was told:

"Hi Scott,

I am realy sory About that. We told you that we sent one model we didn`t know he is distributor.We tought he is only pilot.When we sttarted to advertise it we couldnt send one plane and wait we want to sell a lot because we have staff to pay and other expences.I hope you understend .We want to work with you .Did you try the 2m one how is it flying?
Ivo Milev "

They claimed to want to work with me still - I didnt threaten them - Didnt scream and yell - I played nice....
That was the last I heard from them for two weeks while we built out the planes and started testing sending in emails with our results and giving them constructive advice.

So after two weeks of zero response I got an email from MVM with a one line message to contact Skip Miller Models as the are the exclusive distributors in the USA.

I felt that was coming.

So now your going to have to pay about $300 more for the plane and the 2 meter I guess is not even going to be available.

Sorry all for wasting your time. You can thank SMM for that too.

I had two other distributors on board for some other countries but thats all gone with the Vulture.

The models I bought for testing will be liquidated as I have no desire to have them as a constant reminder that some people do things only for profit. Dont bother asking unless you see them in the FSW section they will go to local folk.

As for me - Im off looking again for something competative that I can provide at a truly good price.

Our new Monstr might be back on track again and will grow a bit to nearly 4m this time. It will be a cross tail and will be available in the USA exculsively through me. In Canada via Armsoar.com if Thomas wants it - and in Australia/NewZealand via Kane Morley at Slopeplane.com as well.

We will also have Monstr Plane Bags shortly and still sell the full Topsky line of DLGs...

So thats that... The vulture was a nice flying plane and launched really well. However the decalage was way off from the mold - keep that in mind if you ever get one.... (NOTE - It was discovered later that the issue was not decalage it was too much throw in the initial setup)

Thanks!

Scott
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
Last edited by Scott Seidler; Nov 16, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:16 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,207 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Scott! I think you did the right thing in contacting SMM, I would have done the same if I was in that position. Too bad some people are getting too carried away by the business side and forget about the great hobby that first got us together.

Good luck in finding your next big product!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Well I appreciate that Thomas - and dont forget - You get Canada!
I have some other irons in the fire...........

-Scott
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:50 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,207 Posts
Yes Canada, for topsoaring anyway!
Looking forward to your future releases
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
Tandoori lamb chop in space?
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,627 Posts
I think this is perfectly normal in this and most other industries. SMM agreed to pay a higher price for the planes in exchange for control of the US market. The same thing occurs at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. This is why one grocery store sells this brand of milk and the other store sells the other brand. It's very bad for the consumer, but who cares?

On a related note, this same thing happened with another Chinese builder, RCRCM. Skip Miller was selling these planes at a good price and SoaringUSA was selling them at not such a good price. Next thing you know, SMM is out, Susa is the exclusive US distributor, and we cough up lots of extra cash for the convenience.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:38 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
I think this is perfectly normal in this and most other industries. SMM agreed to pay a higher price for the planes in exchange for control of the US market. The same thing occurs at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. This is why one grocery store sells this brand of milk and the other store sells the other brand. It's very bad for the consumer, but who cares?

On a related note, this same thing happened with another Chinese builder, RCRCM. Skip Miller was selling these planes at a good price and SoaringUSA was selling them at not such a good price. Next thing you know, SMM is out, Susa is the exclusive US distributor, and we cough up lots of extra cash for the convenience.
Vespa,
While I appreciate your point of view - your incorrect. SMM payed LESS than what I did for the ones I brought in. They just used their leverage better. This is nothing more than a case of the bigger guy using threats to line their pockets. If you think its anything less then your simply being foolish.
And now they are selling them for ALOT more then when they are paying for them. If your OK with that - keep buying from SMM..............

-S
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:57 PM
Killin'em with a beat up pike!
Airplane Heaven
Joined Nov 2005
27 Posts
Well well well I am not surprized at all, good ole' skip and cody! They are not who they say they are for sure! I can promise you I will never ever ever by a damn thing from those guys again. They love to stick their nose in things that they never should! I can't say that I am surprized, that's how guys like that get reps!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to see someone else finally speak out on how these guys are. But what can you do just know carma is a bitch and maybe someone will put the screws to them one day. Just hope I get to see it in person so I can laugh in their FACES!!!! Good luck man.
Crash landing B is offline Find More Posts by Crash landing B
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:23 PM
Stick lift beats no lift
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2003
158 Posts
Vulture..SM Models

Had I the money, would have bought your Vulture.

It does look bad how they pulled the plane away from your business. Even irritating since my two recent emails to Skip M Models about parts for my Topaz have simply gone unanswered. Pretty weak.

Best of luck with all your model business.

JohnO
TexasJohn is offline Find More Posts by TexasJohn