HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:09 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Build Log
FlyFly HUNTER BUILD Jet is available at EJF.com

The Hawker Hunter, a British jet fighter of the 1950s and 1960s, it served many years with the Royal Air Force exported to 19 Countries. A total of 1,972 Hunters were produced by Hawker Siddeley and under license.

The P.1067 first flew from MoD Boscombe Down on 20 July 1951,[1] powered by a 6,500 lbf (28.91 kN) Avon 103 engine from an English Electric Canberra bomber. The second prototype was fitted with production avionics, armament and a 7,550 lbf (33.58 kN) Avon 107 turbojet. It first flew on 5 May 1952. As a back-up, Hawker was asked to adapt the new fighter to another British axial turbojet. The third prototype with an 8,000 lbf (35.59 kN) Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 101 flew on 30 November 1952.[1] The two Avon-engined aircraft were duck-egg green in color, while the Sapphire prototype was silver.

The Hunter went into production in March 1950, a year before the first flight. The first production Hunter F 1 with a 7,600 lbf (33.80 kN) Avon 113 turbojet flew on 16 March 1953. The first 20 aircraft were, in effect, a pre-production series and featured a number of "one-off" modifications such as blown flaps and area ruled fuselage. On 7 September 1953, the sole Hunter Mk 3 (the modified first prototype, WB 188) flown by Neville Duke broke the world air speed record, achieving 727.63 mph (1,171.01 km/h) over Littlehampton.

Fly Fly Hunter.
Wingspan: 1112MM, 43.80 Inches
Length: 1507MM, 59.33 Inches
Weight: 2100g, 4.7lbs.

Servos at least 5 needed 9g or better
Control Functions Ailerons, Elevator, Nose Wheel Steering
Optional Functions are Flaps, Retracts and Rudder. (Modifications required)
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 30, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:09 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Parts Layout

First things first, let's check out the packaging, neatly packed and everything seems to be in Great Shape, All the standard Fly Fly screws and accessories, landing gear strut, wheels and misc wood pack. I must admit, I like the minimal parts count.

The included manual will have us start at the nose of the plane, but Keep in mind that is a part missing from the instructions and one that should not be in Step one. Please look at the last picture and make sure you don't try to glue this part during Step 1 of your building process. This part comes back and belongs on the wing in Step 9.

You begin Step 1 by installing the blind nut to your battery tray, this will later serve as the front wing mount
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 30, 2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Details
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:10 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Nose Construction

We continue with the nose construction. Here you will need the

1. Battery Tray
2. Nose Gear former
3. Servo Wire former

The Triangle wedge looking former, should be saved for Step 9.

Once you have all the parts needed, trial fit each piece and make sure you have a good fit, My servo wire former (the long wood rectangle) was about 1/8 longer than the slot on both sides of the fuselage. Nothing an exacto knife can fix. I cut out the rest of the slot for that former to fit properly. I glue the parts to one half of the nose and then trial fit to the second half. When you are all ready, glue them with your favorite glue. I used Odorless Thick CyA.

Turbulence
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 30, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:17 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Tail Construction

So now, we move on to the tail of the airplane. I like to route the wires first, that way I know what I am going to face. Here we will need

1. Horizontal Stab
2. Vertical Stab
3. Left and Right rear fuselage.

I pre-mounted the servo (not glued in yet) to see where the wires would go. The Horizontal Stab slides into the Vertical stab and then the servo lead wires continue to have a pocket for them until they go under the Vertical stab and to the forward part of the plane.

Check you fit first, Remove some paint, sand, scuff, your choice, where you will be gluing parts in. In my case I found it necessary to have the servos in plane and run the extension wires before I glued the fuselage. I place a small drop of CyA to where the servo leads needed to be and then with those in place, I glued the Vertical and Horizontal Stab together and then glued both the Left and Right Fuselage halves with the tail just hanging around by the servo leads.
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 30, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:20 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Tail and Wing Construction

Here you can see that I left the servos for the elevator hanging in place while I glued the two rear fuselage halves together. Once done, I then glued in the vertical fin to the rear fuselage.

In the third picture, That is the Cover or clamshell to be used on top of both wings some as was done in the Fly Fly Mb-339. The important part here is to route your servo wires in before you glue on the clamshell to the wing. Otherwise your going to make some large holes to get the wires to go where you want them. There are two wood formers that need to be glued to the Clamshell or top cover of the wing, so take care of those first.

But for now I move on to the bottom part of the wing. In the next couple of slides, I am showing you the space you need to router your wires; if not later there will be no space.

Turbulence
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 30, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:21 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Servo Leads

I am just trying to decide what is the best route for the servo wire leads, there is a small hole cut out on the foam but no all the way through, I floowed it through, but then when you mount the Fuselage to the Wings, the wires get in the way. First shot is of the wing, matted to the Forward fuselage only and then trying to see where the wires sould go, Can they follow the elevator wires on go between the wood former and the foam?

Copy of Tep 7 and Step 8 of the manual. Again i found it Best to Install the wires for the servo and retracts before you glue in the Clamshell

Turbulence
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 30, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 05:30 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Updated

I update all the previous post; this is into hour 3 of the building last night. Tonight we finish off the wing, Glue the two fuselages together and see what we can do about a power system.

I was test fitting the fuselages together and both pieces have double sided tape the helps keep them aligned, But I also found it worked against me to make finer adjustment when trying to glue the fuselage. First order of business is to remove the double sided tape.

Turbulence
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:36 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
This is excellent, thanks for your effort! I ordered one from EJF.com last week and I can see that your build is going to be a big help in getting it put together!

Randy
v2plus10 is offline Find More Posts by v2plus10
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:19 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Questions?

Randy,

Your Welcome, let me know if you have any questions when you get started on yours. I don't work at EJF, but do buy most of my EDF stuff from Robert since he is a 20 minute drive from me. For me it's easier to see the items I want in person.

Turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2plus10 View Post
This is excellent, thanks for your effort! I ordered one from EJF.com last week and I can see that your build is going to be a big help in getting it put together!

Randy
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:30 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
Are you using foam safe CA or epoxy, or both?

Randy
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:57 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Foam Safe CA

Randy,

For the entire build of the F-100, L-39, MB-339 and of course HUNTER, I used Foam Safe CA branded as your local hobby shop. It is made by Bob Smith Industries and re-labeled by most hobby shops as their own generic. Anyway BSI Odorless Thick / Gap Filling.

http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/oca.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2plus10 View Post
Are you using foam safe CA or epoxy, or both?

Randy
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:02 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Servos

So I started to install all my servos last night. The two in the tail are small 9g just like a Hitec 65MG the ones in the wing for Ailerons are a little bigger Hitec 82MG, so I had to cut open the servo pocket a little more. I put tape around the servo before I CA it to the foam. In case I ever re-use the servo it won't have lumps of CA all over it, just removed the tape and it will be good as new. I also scuff up the foam to make sure it don't just glue the servo to the top layer of paint.

In the first picture there is a small channel for servo wires just as they did with the MB-339, works fine, but a couple of people had servo wires sucked into the fan, I rather have them run in the middle of the wing. I test fitted the retract and will make a larger wood mount. For fan, I used the standard Fly-Fly shroud, but opted to go with the Wemo Pro Rotor, I had a spare Medusa Motor and a Castle Creations 80 ESC, to complete the package.

Turbulence
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:11 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Fuselage

I glued the fuselage together, and I usually try to fill the crevices with CA after to make sure I get a good grip / glue joint.

Turbulence
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:57 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
3,002 Posts
Nice work Ralph.

I have been looking over my Hunter. I have decided to build it straight forward except for 2 mods.

First is adding a rudder, which I have already completed.

Second is adding the E-flite electric retracts, I may see if the 15 size ones will work, if not the 25 size will be used.

Power system will be a 90mm Haoye fan with a HET 600-37 on 6s. Should be light and have nice power and sound.

The Hunter wasnt a speed burner, kind of like the A-10. Just a rock solid jet with nasty weapons.

James
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75
Old Aug 01, 2010, 10:03 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
You must have used another servo for the rudder....do the instructions show this option-if not could we see a picture?..... and did you couple the nose steering/rudder with a mix or a "y" connector?

This will be only my second EDF after the Panther...

Thanks....

Randy