HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:21 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Idea
Broadcast OSD data directly to Android device using WIFI

First off, let me say that I am pretty sure that none of your products will currently allow me to do what I have in mind. I hope that I am wrong about that, in which case, please consider this post to be a “question” and please tell me how to accomplish what I have in mind. However, if what I have in mind currently can't be done, then please consider this post to be an “idea” for a future product.

In my case, because I have absolutely no desire to see a true First Person View (FPV), I also have absolutely no desire to mount any sort of video camera (and associated analog “video transmitter”) to my aircraft. Similarly, I have no desire to purchase a separate FPV ground station. Nonetheless, I am considering purchasing “Vector Flight Controller + OSD” because I want to use several of its GPS-dependent features (such as Return to Home, Geofence and Loiter) that aren't available in other products, such as Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer.

Although I don't want true FPV, I would greatly appreciate seeing other OSD information (especially Artificial Horizon Indicator, Flight Mode Indicator, Motor Battery Gauge, and various alarms) on an Android device. Ideally, WiFi would provide sufficient range. (I've read claims of 1000 meter rages for some WiFi devices.) But if WiFi can't provide sufficeint range, then perhaps connecting via WiMAX (using a pay-as-you go data plan) would be an option.

QUESTION: Is any sort of plug-in available that can broadcast OSD data directly to an Android device using WiFi (or WiMAX) and then display that data in an Android app? If not, I hope you'll consider developing such a plug-in and app.
GizmoChicken is offline Find More Posts by GizmoChicken
Last edited by GizmoChicken; Dec 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoChicken View Post
QUESTION: Is any sort of plug-in available that can broadcast OSD data directly to an Android device using WiFi (or WiMAX) and then display that data in an Android app? If not, I hope you'll consider developing such a plug-in and app.
In my previous post, I stated that I didn't want to mount any sort of analog “video transmitter” to my aircraft, but instead wanted to transmit OSD data (including telemetry data) using WiFi (or perhaps WiMAX). As I think about it, I don't really care what sort of transmitter that I must use. Rather, what's more important to me is that I have a way to view live OSD data (including telemetry data) wirelessly on an Android device (or possibly on a laptop).

With that in mind, here's an alternative to my original idea:

Please consider developing an upgraded version of your “EagleEyes FPV Station” that includes an integrated WiFi router to which an Android device (or possibly a laptop) can wirelessly connect and read OSD data. Of course, if, in addition to OSD date, FPV could also be transmitted wirelessly from the upgraded “EagleEyes FPV Station w/Wifi” directly to the Android device or laptop, that would be even better.
GizmoChicken is offline Find More Posts by GizmoChicken
Last edited by GizmoChicken; Dec 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,052 Posts
Unfortunately Gizmo you are going to be disappointed as OSD implies video. The Vector and OSD Pro lay data over video generated by a TV camera.
Further, that data that you seek is actually transmitted from the aircraft in the video stream. No video, no data.

You might consider the Eagletree Seagull Wireless Dashboard system but it uses a 900MHz telemetry transmitter not wifi.

Geoff
garris2 is online now Find More Posts by garris2
Last edited by garris2; Dec 16, 2014 at 05:41 AM.