HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:46 PM
Canada, ON, Sault Ste. Marie
Joined Feb 2013
230 Posts
Help!
Help with 1st hotliner

I looking at getting a GP Siren or a Mefisto Mk.II for a first hotliner. Kinda leaning towards the siren as I've heard the Mefisto manual is almost useless.

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive power system for either plane and some comments on the Mefisto.

Any help is appreciated.
Westwind76 is offline Find More Posts by Westwind76
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:01 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Usually the supplied manuals are not very comprehensive. "Hotliner" kits assume the customer knows what he is doing at least to some extent.

Those kind of planes are very simple in construction actually. Do not rush with the build, take your time to get familiar with the parts in the kit and figure out how to place the components especially electrics. I have never done everything according to the manual but what suits best for me.

What kind of power level are you looking for? That has very much to do what kind of power system you need. Mefisto or Siren are not "true" hotliners and will tear apart with too much power.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:36 AM
Canada, ON, Sault Ste. Marie
Joined Feb 2013
230 Posts
Don't want to go stupid fast but I want to be able to go vertical, roll and loop.
Westwind76 is offline Find More Posts by Westwind76
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:50 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,283 Posts
A common trap in trying to get together a cheap warmliner power system is that there are plenty of inexpensive outrunners out there that might do the job, in this case around 600W or so as a good starting point, but getting them to fit is another story altogether. Unfortunately the noses of many electric gliders are too slender to allow outrunners to fit in the nose, mounted behind the firewall with the wires having to pass back beside the spinning case. And some outrunners are just not designed to mount behind a firewall at all. So what looks like a good deal on an airframe can be hard to power without stepping up to rather more expensive geared inrunners.

Note that the Siren has a 38mm spinner. Even though the nose is tapered, that leaves very little room around a 35mm OD outrunner. The Mefisto takes a 40mm spinner - getting closer but still pretty tight.

My FVK Bandit (1.4m) takes a 42mm spinner and has a pretty fat fuselage, so I get an Axi 2820/10 in there but I've gone to some lengths to make sure the wires don't foul the motor can.

At around 400W in a 2lb model it's well short of hotliner territory but absolutely meets your performance criteria. I mention the smaller model mainly because it is pretty cheap to get around 400W, for example basic 3S 2200 packs can do the job.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old May 27, 2013, 04:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
85 Posts
If your after help...

Hi there, if your curious I have built and flown the Mefisto Mk.II and would consider it a Warmliner style model. If you accept this fact then you will love it!! It still has the abilty to find and cirlce in moderate lift and it can put on a good turn of speed when you put the nose down. It is not a missle and does not retain energy like a true Hotliner. Check out my build log on here and there is even a inflight video to go with it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444135
InvertedSnap is offline Find More Posts by InvertedSnap
Old May 27, 2013, 02:17 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
I would not buy the Siren. It is a cheap imitation of a hotliner. A better intro model would be the Ion ( http://www.soaringusa.com/2006-Ion-W-Flaps.html ). While you're there, check out SUSA and then call them for advice. They have plenty of models to choose from plus they are great to buy from.
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
Old May 27, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
Westwind76 wrote
Quote:
Don't want to go stupid fast but I want to be able to go vertical, roll and loop.
If you are thinking of an Ion, how about the nimble Bullet?
http://www.soaringusa.com/BulleT.html

SUSA have a 5% sale this weekend., too

climbs vertically, loops like crazy. A Neu 1105/2.5Y/4.4 motor isn't that expensive. I built this one with 4 HS65 servos in the wing, D-60 on the elevator. Lands really slowly..with the flaps

here is a video clip of the BulleT in the air: vertical, loop and roll; listen to it whistle on the way down..
BulleT stormy day (1 min 6 sec)
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; May 27, 2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added video link
Old May 28, 2013, 05:30 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,500 Posts
I second the ion with flaps, and soaring u s a.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 28, 2013, 08:40 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,991 Posts
I'm with mario. I have a Siren and while a comfortable flier I certainly wish I had not made the purchase. The finish and quality is second rate in my opinion and a mail to Great Planes produced no reply (and no, I wasn't chasing a refund!).

Genuine hotliners have dropped a lot in cost but if you are new to this get a warmliner. These are generally out dated hotliners but still, with the right kit, give great performance. My own favourite was and still is the Sprinter. Very nice handling and if you are a reasonably competent flier you'll have a lot of fun.

If you are really just beginning you could do worst than try an ST Blaze. Only a foamy sort of cool warmliner but good fun zips around and does exactly what you said you wanted early in the posts. I purchased one on pure whim a year or so back, still like it and at virtually no money it is good value.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old May 29, 2013, 01:17 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
Genuine hotliners have dropped a lot in cost but if you are new to this get a warmliner. These are generally out dated hotliners but still, with the right kit, give great performance.
The de facto model is the Launchmodel F5B
http://www.launchmodel.cn/enProductShow.asp?id=147

Sold by many vendors with many names: V-Max eco, Hawk F5B, Wilco, Tiger...

Proper molded construction that withstands plenty of power and speed. Everything is straight and every screw fits perfectly out of factory. It was my easiest build ever. It is a genuine hotliner frame and semi tricky to fly but very fast and agile.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12