SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2015, 01:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jan 2015
20 Posts
Discussion
Graupner US?

Is Grouper USA still in business and do they still carry Graupner Ranzow?
Casey58 is offline Find More Posts by Casey58
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2015, 03:35 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,530 Posts
Tower Hobbies has picked up some of the Graupner line, but looks like just the electronics, props, some spinners, and a airplane kit. Nothing else shows up. Might be worth a call to Tower to see if they are planning to expand their Graupner coverage. Love their airplane props and spinners though. Some of the best in the industry.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:29 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,629 Posts
http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/serv...=2&language=en

sad to say, but graupner no longer lists the Ranzow on their website, so i doubt any american distributor/reseller would list it either.

edit:

it appears that "Graupner USA" is still around (at least its website is)

http://www.openhobby.com

I would definitely call them (check the "CONTACT US" page) and verify that they are still stocking graupner stuff. I still didn't see the Ranzow on their site, though.

second edit:

westbourne models in britain still lists it... definitely call to make sure they still have it... ( see bottom of page ) and shipping won't be as cheap as USA
http://www.westbourne-models.com/Mod...ship_kits.html
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Last edited by tsenecal; Jan 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:01 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
734 Posts
Be careful ordering from Westbourne. I ordered some small bits before Christmas. The have charged my card but have not shipped the merchandise, and have ignored 2 email requests. I put up a thread on MBM, which drew a bunch more complaints against Westbourne.
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:23 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGAux26 View Post
Be careful ordering from Westbourne. I ordered some small bits before Christmas. The have charged my card but have not shipped the merchandise, and have ignored 2 email requests. I put up a thread on MBM, which drew a bunch more complaints against Westbourne.
On many of these situations where a single hobby shop has a product that doesn't even exist on the manufacturer's website anymore, i tend to preface "call them" - as i did twice in the prior post. don't email them. dont use their "contact us" web form. dont send them a text message. TALK TO A HUMAN BEING BEFORE SENDING ANY MONEY.

to re-iterate: CALL THEM before you do anything. in reality, i am betting they don't keep the stock levels up to date on their website, and westbourne, as everyone else, doesn't actually have that model either.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,243 Posts
Graupner usa

Graupner USA, closed up months ago. As far as we (the model boaters) are concerned, there is just about nothing left. As Graupner, like Robbe, has gotten out of the scale model boat kit business. They make a few items, but not many, and, almost no scale detail parts. There is an english translation, on their company website, if you want to check it out.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:31 PM
Casey Thrower
United States, AL, Meridianville
Joined Jul 2004
283 Posts
I had my user name changed back to my old one. I'm now C Thrower.
C Thrower is offline Find More Posts by C Thrower
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:34 PM
Casey Thrower
Joined Jul 2004
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
Graupner USA, closed up months ago. As far as we (the model boaters) are concerned, there is just about nothing left. As Graupner, like Robbe, has gotten out of the scale model boat kit business. They make a few items, but not many, and, almost no scale detail parts. There is an english translation, on their company website, if you want to check it out.
Graupner and Robbe made good kits. Expensive but good. I hate to see both of them get out. I wish someone could buy their molds and make some of their kits. Robbe made two killer subs.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:12 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Thrower View Post
Graupner and Robbe made good kits. Expensive but good. I hate to see both of them get out. I wish someone could buy their molds and make some of their kits. Robbe made two killer subs.
Totally agree. If you look around, no one makes high quality boat kits anymore. It's really a shame.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:33 PM
United States, CA, Bellflower
Joined Jul 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish View Post
Totally agree. If you look around, no one makes high quality boat kits anymore. It's really a shame.
I would think that anyone building a Legend Model Boat kit might argue that statement. Rich is well known for his quality products.
dunworkin is online now Find More Posts by dunworkin
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:52 PM
Casey Thrower
Joined Jul 2004
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunworkin View Post
I would think that anyone building a Legend Model Boat kit might argue that statement. Rich is well known for his quality products.
About all that Legend carries are speed boats which I have no desire to build. Legend is also having problems of it's own. Their webpage says that orders are being delayed because Rich had some medical issues. I hope he's going to be alright. Anyway, Model Slipway makes quality boats. Although I hate cutting the small pieces from that thick plastic sheet. The hulls are top notch fiberglass too. I do wish they would produce one American harbor tug.
Last edited by C Thrower; Jan 22, 2015 at 07:59 PM.