SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2013
273 Posts
You got a link to that video buildcrashrepair ?... I'd like to see that.

I'm surprised any pilot would want to induce a resonate vibration in any structural element of their aircraft,

You all probably remember back in the days of the annoying whistle your car radio antenna made when traveling down the highway..... now they put a helix ridge along the length of the antenna; basically a vortex generator to break up the airflow over the antenna... works great at stopping the annoying whistle, but the whistle did have one advantage, and that was wildlife could hear you coming.

John M,
John_M_ is offline Find More Posts by John_M_
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Crashes count as bonus points
United States, KS
Joined Jul 2013
255 Posts
Yup here it is! Almost sounds like a car going over rumble strips super fast.

2014 Planes of Fame Air Show - Sean D. Tucker Oracle challenger III (7 min 29 sec)
buildcrashrepair is online now Find More Posts by buildcrashrepair
Last edited by buildcrashrepair; Yesterday at 07:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
Joined Dec 2013
273 Posts
Thanks buildcrashrepair, nice video... I heard it on a couple of the low passes during the ribbon cut... its doesn't last long, but it reminds me of the same sound a sailboat rigging makes in a squall, clankity clank... there's tons of prop rip as well... I'm sure that plane is carefully inspected after each demonstration... and if the truth be know, those wings are probably way overbuilt and would fly without those flying wires... looking at some images of his pitts, those flying wires look like they are streamline, not just round cable.

John M,
John_M_ is offline Find More Posts by John_M_
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,451 Posts
Those wings are held on with the flying and landing wires, but you are correct that the airplane is inspected after and before every flight. It's also rebuilt after every season.
Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
605 Posts
John you are correct in all aspects. All it takes is rotating them 5 degrees to get the sound. Hearing it live it comes through much louder. The prop rip adds to the performance as well. When I do flying demos with my big Extra I drop down to a 30x12 in an attempt to get the same result. Sean's Pitts is so clean you would swear it's kept in a clean room and never flown.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy