HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM
Joined May 2013
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp. View Post
Hi Folks, is it possible to post some pics. of peoples takes on variable geometry vang, if you do not mind so I could get some ideas, would be muchly appreciated.
Have a great day
Available at

http://www.radiosailingshop.com.au/i...roducts_id=686
Emintaka is offline Find More Posts by Emintaka
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Joined Feb 2009
25 Posts
ummm

Why do you say the vang in the picture is a variable geometry vang?

To me variable geometry means the axis is tilted - generally further from the mast at the bottom so the vang tightens automatically as the boom goes out. It makes no difference where the boom and the lower strut are connected.

Scott
s vernon is offline Find More Posts by s vernon
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2009
84 Posts
Need help with bumper

My winter IOM project is 98% complete. All I need to do is make a bumper. I have tried carving/sanding a flip flop heel with little success. I believe I can make a mold but what material do I use, and where can it be purchased, for the bumper?

For what it is worth my project is "retro". I have taken a Bantock Tinto/Redwine hull and done some tweaking. The beam has been reduced to 160mm(the waterline beam has remained relatively unchanged) and fulness has been added to the bow in particular to better mimic today's higher prismatic IOMs. It already has "fashionable" chines. The deck is made of cedar strips and a Bantock mid deck well has been added to lower the rigs. I believe it will be fast primarily because of less wetted surface area than today's boats. Balance and handling.??......will have to wait and see when it hits the pond.
blackrgb is offline Find More Posts by blackrgb
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrgb View Post
My winter IOM project is 98% complete. All I need to do is make a bumper. I have tried carving/sanding a flip flop heel with little success.
I struggled with flip flop material until I tried using scissors. This made it quite easy.
Crunchy Frog is online now Find More Posts by Crunchy Frog
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s vernon View Post
ummm

To me variable geometry means the axis is tilted - generally further from the mast at the bottom so the vang tightens automatically as the boom goes out. It makes no difference where the boom and the lower strut are connected.

Scott
See that little set screw on the bottom of the lower attaching part. I would guess it can move the lower pivot in or out. I don't use that brand put that is what it looks like to me.
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Joined May 2013
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s vernon View Post
ummm

Scott
If you look, you'll see there is a grub screw with lock nut through the bottom bracket. This varies and controls the angle of the barrel relative to the mast.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Joined May 2013
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
I struggled with flip flop material until I tried using scissors. This made it quite easy.
Or a plaster of paris mould filled with wet area silicone... In extremis and a great hurry, I have made a mould with masking tape round the bow of the boat and filled that with silicone. Worked well enough to be able to carry on in the regatta.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jul 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrgb View Post
My winter IOM project is 98% complete. All I need to do is make a bumper. I have tried carving/sanding a flip flop heel with little success. I believe I can make a mold but what material do I use, and where can it be purchased, for the bumper?

For what it is worth my project is "retro". I have taken a Bantock Tinto/Redwine hull and done some tweaking. The beam has been reduced to 160mm(the waterline beam has remained relatively unchanged) and fulness has been added to the bow in particular to better mimic today's higher prismatic IOMs. It already has "fashionable" chines. The deck is made of cedar strips and a Bantock mid deck well has been added to lower the rigs. I believe it will be fast primarily because of less wetted surface area than today's boats. Balance and handling.??......will have to wait and see when it hits the pond.
so i had this challenge. tried the plaster mold and silicone route. i crafted a balsa plug. cast a mold. then mixed up 100% type Ii (i think. has to be 100% and either type i or ii cant rem right now) added some glysorol a few drops and some latex paint for color. vasoline the mold and packed it in. took about a week to dry. but it worked. next time i would add some filler powder to harden up as it was a bit soft.

having sAid all that i actually fAshioned a flip flop on a belt sander and glued on. perfect. if your fashioning a balsa mold you may aswell do a flip flop if your not fussy about color option. silicone can be colored to any color in the art store. must be latex.
Whitaker is offline Find More Posts by Whitaker
Old Today, 04:39 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
637 Posts
This bumper was made for my sons (11) IOM as he wasn't that impressed with the previous foam bumper which was all creased up and had a small chunk taken out of it by it's previous owner (Me ) This IOM has had a bit of a make over recently to give it a bit more street cred. In other words he doesn't mind showing it off to his friends when they pop round. We are trying to make it look a bit more racy thus trendy as lets be fair only old farts race RC Yachts in their eyes
A balsa plug was varnished and waxed. Play doh was compressed into a wooden corner bead and rolled flat, the plug was then pressed into the play doh and was rolled flush with the sides. The plug was then pulled out using two screws. CT1 which is neither silicone or mastic was then pumped into the mould and left for 2 days. This morning I removed, cleaned and CT1'd the new bumper onto the bow.
FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
Old Today, 11:26 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,184 Posts
What is a good glue for silicone bumpers?
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Today, 11:43 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Silicone!
FWAL is online now Find More Posts by FWAL
Old Today, 12:06 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2012
86 Posts
Silicone is a very heavy material for a bumper, and right at the worst possible place on the hull. I would recommend using flip-flop foam. Scissors and a belt sander make it quite easy to shape, and CA glue sticks it on quite well.
Crunchy Frog is online now Find More Posts by Crunchy Frog
Old Today, 12:08 PM
Germany, Munich
Joined Dec 2006
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Loctite 416
torti is offline Find More Posts by torti
Old Today, 01:24 PM
Joined Jul 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torti View Post
Loctite 416
Hi torti
In my experience there is nothing that will stick silicone other than a good quality silicone.
If you have used the loctite then I stand corrected but.
According to loctites literature the 416 is a general purpose Cyano glue.
I have tried other Cyano glues and had no success.
Even some silicones do not work that well.
My advice is use silicone, make sure it says silicone on the tube, use the best quality you can find. It needs to smell strongly acidy, the stronger the better.
Degrease with acitone and abrade the bumper to give a bit of mechanical advantage to the bond.
I should say that a few years ago I experimented with just about every type of adhesive I could lay my hands on without success.
Psychosis is offline Find More Posts by Psychosis