New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2015, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by crasha
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
317 Posts
Up to 21 great flights now. Finally happy with the setup. The only problems so far was one of the tailerons warped. On inspection it was not glued properly. The JL quality is generally very good so this is probably a once off occurrence

So I scratch built 2 new tailerons and made them a little stronger than the originals. They work great and are much stiffer than the originals

Also convinced my wife to build a cockpit for it!!
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2015, 02:47 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
317 Posts
The raptor has flown at a few local jet events. Time to start painting now that she is all set up and flying well

Jet legend F-22 at Wagin airport 2014 (7 min 52 sec)

Jetlegend F-22 at Wings over Whiteman 2014 (7 min 2 sec)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by Castel101
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
845 Posts
Looks great in those videos! I was surprised by how tight it can turn but then again I'm don't know much about turbine jets. I see that you are using standard rods for aileron/rudder control, did you decide not to go with RDS, not enough torque?
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Mar 17, 2015, 07:57 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
317 Posts
Decided against the RDS due to not much room to fit the servos in the fins with the geometry needed. It would have been alot of work to fit a system I had not used before. Would like to try it out one day in a smaller plane
Old Mar 18, 2015, 01:17 AM
Find More Posts by Castel101
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
845 Posts
I see, makes sense.
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:38 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
317 Posts
Now the major building and set up is complete it is time to get artistic and start painting.

I spent an entire day prepping and painting the stabs. Most of that time went into mixing the paint to replicate how the full size raptor paint changes colour.

The colours are custom mixed and so far look pretty good. Looking at pics of the full size F-22 I followed a similar painting technique and painted the light grey and then freehand airbrushed the dark camo to get a similar effect to the original. It was not that easy to do as the paint was changing colours during airbrushing. Some light weathering was done using soft pastels and then a coat of satin clear to seal it all up.

It is going to be a huge job painting the whole thing! The aim is to have the paint/decals and weathering finished in time for the Western Australian jet rally at the start of May.
Last edited by crasha; Apr 01, 2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2015, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by RCvertt
Joined Aug 2007
4,460 Posts
Fantastic job! What an awesome bird.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,954 Posts
What is up with the intake ducts in the second pic..just look wrong..some photo shop ???
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 07, 2015, 08:39 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
317 Posts
Thanks RCvertt for the encouragement. It has taken nearly 2 years and 25 test flights to get to this stage. Looking forward to having it look more like a real F-22!

Hi Turbonut, I had not noticed the inlets in the second pic above. I must admit the JL inlets are not very scale, hoping when the paint is finished it will not be as noticeable. What I like in that pic is how it shows the different colours in the F-22 paint scheme. Looking at the fins and parts of the fuselage you really see how some of the paint turns silver. This is what I am trying to reproduce. The pic also shows great detail on the inside of the RH fin of how the dark camo is freehand painted from a regular size spray gun. At this scale it makes it easy to reproduce this with an airbrush, no need for masking

Spent the last few days prepping the fuse wings and fins for paint. Lots of sanding and filling small imperfections in the gelcoat.

Also spent months custom drawing decals to replicate the F-22's of the 7th fighter squadron, Holloman AFB. I chose this livery since my Dad grew up in Bankstown, Sydney near airstrip the 7th operated out of early WWII before being deployed to Papua New Guinea. The 7th fought above the area in PNG where my grandfather was fighting during the war. So it is a bit of a tribute to the brave American and Aussie servicemen of the time.
Last edited by crasha; Apr 07, 2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 08:46 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
317 Posts
After 2 weeks of sanding and masking it is finally time to paint

It took a day to spray the light grey base colour and airbrush the dark camo to the fins. This only the start of the paint, there is lots of airbrushing to be done to replicate the different shades in each panel on the full size jet
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
317 Posts
Started spraying the camo on the fuselage. It is begining to look the part

So much better than it was just in primer!