Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 05, 2014, 06:09 PM
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Nov 2004
146 Posts
Question
JR XG8 Or XG14?

Gday,

After about 8 years of faultless use out of my JR PCM9XII (9303), I have decided to upgrade to either the XG8 or XG14.

My question is, do you think it is worth spending an extra $50AU for the XG14 over the XG8? A little research tells me the 14 has a couple of extra program mixes and flight modes and appears to have a marginally larger screen? I suspect a couple of the trade-offs may be battery life and weight?

I am posting in the Hand Launch section, as the DLG bug has bitten hard, my next model will be a top end model like a snipe or similar and I would like to get a capable radio that will give me another 8+ years of service.

Lastly, I see JR now have a vario telemetry sensor http://www.modelflight.com.au/jr-dms...ry-sensor.html , will this sensor display the launch height like the altitude sensor as well as providing the variometer function and what feedback through the tx is available, and dos it differ between the XG8 & XG14?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
burbler is offline Find More Posts by burbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2014, 07:14 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,739 Posts
I have both the XG8 and XG14. I use the XG8 primarily for DLG, and the XG14 for big planes. There are a few additional menu functions in the XG14 that are attractive, in particular the BALANCE function is rather cool to fine tune the servo installation to ensure symmetric response on left vs right flap and/or aileron movement. The XG8 weighs around 770g and the XG14 weighs 813g (5.6% deta), with the weight delta coming from aluminium gymbals and . The screen size and resolution is the same between the two radios. The battery life seems to be at least as good as the XG8. For now, I am getting more battery life out of my XG14, but this may be due to it being newer and having considerably fewer charge/discharge battery cycles on my XG14.

If I had to have just a single radio I would choose the XG14 due to the increased capabilities. Having 14ch is a bit much for DLG... but may come in handy if you fly other types of aircraft in the future.

As to the vario telemetry sensor, I've not played with one yet so I cannot comment.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Apr 05, 2014, 08:03 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,961 Posts
The Vario will display real time altitude and max altitude (like the altitude sensor), and also display real time rate of climb / sink rate and max rate of climb / max sink rate.

I have used both the XG8 and XG14, and the balance feature is the main reason I sold my XG8 and got a second XG14, also the paint on the front panel seems to be more durable, haha!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Apr 05, 2014, 08:21 PM
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Nov 2004
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
I have both the XG8 and XG14. I use the XG8 primarily for DLG, and the XG14 for big planes. There are a few additional menu functions in the XG14 that are attractive, in particular the BALANCE function is rather cool to fine tune the servo installation to ensure symmetric response on left vs right flap and/or aileron movement. The XG8 weighs around 770g and the XG14 weighs 813g (5.6% deta), with the weight delta coming from aluminium gymbals and . The screen size and resolution is the same between the two radios. The battery life seems to be at least as good as the XG8. For now, I am getting more battery life out of my XG14, but this may be due to it being newer and having considerably fewer charge/discharge battery cycles on my XG14.

If I had to have just a single radio I would choose the XG14 due to the increased capabilities. Having 14ch is a bit much for DLG... but may come in handy if you fly other types of aircraft in the future.

As to the vario telemetry sensor, I've not played with one yet so I cannot comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
The Vario will display real time altitude and max altitude (like the altitude sensor), and also display real time rate of climb / sink rate and max rate of climb / max sink rate.

I have used both the XG8 and XG14, and the balance feature is the main reason I sold my XG8 and got a second XG14, also the paint on the front panel seems to be more durable, haha!
Thankyou gentlemen for such comprehensive responses, I was leaning towards the 14 and for the minimal extra $$$ at the moment I think you have confirmed my decision
Old Apr 05, 2014, 08:43 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,417 Posts
I've been using the XG14 and I'm quite happy with it. I'm sure the XG8 is enough for DLG but I went with the 14 anyway. I'll be getting the 28X as well when it is released, but I certainly don't need that for DLG.. hehe.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Apr 06, 2014, 11:24 PM
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Nov 2004
146 Posts
Ordered the XG14 so should be in my hands possibly Wednesday. I ordered the 4 channel RG411BL receiver and the vario sensor that I will use in my mini dlg (stella) and also the battery pack voltage sensor that i will use in my 450 helicopter or powered gliders.

If the new radio gives me even 1/4 of the pleasure my old JR PCM9XII (9303) did, I will be one happy little camper.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 11:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
701 Posts
Sold...the balance function in my xg11 is invaluable and missing in my xg8. Are the gimbals nicer then the xg8? At least on par with the xg11? If so that is a no brainer.
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Apr 07, 2014, 01:02 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
680 Posts
gimbals much better.
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Apr 07, 2014, 02:38 AM
Norway
Joined Nov 2010
187 Posts
Receivers for dlg. Have jr any who is the same as futaba 61xx hfc that is full range and has no satellite? What receiver would you use in arctus for instance? I just don't see why use satellite when futaba does not? But I like the jr in my hands, that's for sure.
ChristianAustena is offline Find More Posts by ChristianAustena
Old Apr 07, 2014, 03:52 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
680 Posts
The satellite is not only for range enhancement but also telemetry, that's why.

Without case the RG631B is perfect for dlg.
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Apr 07, 2014, 11:38 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbler View Post
Lastly, I see JR now have a vario telemetry sensor http://www.modelflight.com.au/jr-dms...ry-sensor.html , will this sensor display the launch height like the altitude sensor as well as providing the variometer function and what feedback through the tx is available, and dos it differ between the XG8 & XG14?
I don't yet have the vario sensor but my read is it is expected to do both altitude and vario.

http://www.jramericas.com/233970/JRP03447/?pcat=8

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Apr 07, 2014, 12:50 PM
Marlon
Joined Sep 2004
100 Posts
The xg14 has 4 aileron setup on the glider menu (the xg8 and the xg11 does not and y have to deal with mixes), that and the balance feature are the reasons why I'm getting a xg14. I will keep the xg8 with me for hlg and as a backup tx for f3j. The xg14 will handle the scale gliders.
mnluz is offline Find More Posts by mnluz
Old Apr 08, 2014, 07:13 PM
Joined Sep 2004
20 Posts
Hi, for those guys that have both the XG8 & XG14, can you please tell me if the 2 are the exact same dimensions and are the gimbals & switches the same spacing etc?

I ask because I find the XG8 a little on the cramped side between the mode switch and toggle switch and am just wondering if there is any difference?

Oh, and does anyone have comments about whether the Black face or the Silver face looks better, wears better?

Thanks heaps.
meherenow7 is offline Find More Posts by meherenow7
Old Apr 08, 2014, 07:19 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,417 Posts
I'm 99% sure the XG8, and XG14 all share the same basic case (and probably the XG6 as well). Can't comment on the silver vs black question though.

As for fit, I've found the XG14 to be the most comfortable radio I've flown in a very long time. I've got big hands, but I'm quite happy.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Apr 08, 2014, 07:33 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,961 Posts
XG8 and XG14 are dimensionally the same, XG6 is smaller and very different case.
The black will wear out faster if you go with an 8, on the 14 you don't really have a choice but my 1st one hasn't shown signs of wear yet.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups