HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:31 AM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
Build Log
Scratch Built C-130J

Hi Gang,

Just about finished with this massive 76" wingspan C-130J. Big jump going from my cargo twin engine plane to this four engine monster. Used plans of old control line C-130 I got off the internet, added some length to the fuselage to make it a C-130J and scaled it up from 48" to 76" WS.

I just scaled it by enlarging PDF file and printing them. Constructed plane with FFF and DT foam internal framework and skinned plane with paper stripped DT foam.

Wings were constructed using a modified Flitetest technique with DT foam keeping the scale airfoil which most interestingly has thickest part of airfoil at 50% for best lift.

Powered by 4x 2822 1450kv, 4x 8x3.8SF and 4x 20A speed controls. Should have over 600W of power. Controls are throttle with differential thrust(R/L), Flaperons(ailerons/flaps), elevator, rudder and Bombay in midsection. Kept everthing light and sound be fun to fly. Goes against my usual mantra "quick build" but it sure is a cool looking plane. All that is left is installing some servos, adding the decals and some other details. Just have to wait for the the snow to melt in NH to try this bad boy.

Main wing and nacelle plans below.
Just finished bulk of the fuselage section. REMEMBER- I overbuilt the internal structure of the fuselage(see my pictures). Just reinforce bulkheads as needed around wing area, possible creation of bomb bay or rear door, and area for battery, esc and receiver below wing. I created a large shelf there. I just wrapped the fuselage in dollar tree foam with paper stripped of one side and pre-curved, leaving the bottom(flatter part) of the fuselage for later covering.

The original plans that I used and adapted for this plane are located in Post#6. Remember the plans are for a 64"WS and I enlarged to a 74"WS. Original plans are for a 1956 balsa control line model.

Maiden Flight 4/3/2014
C-130J Maiden Flight (1 min 44 sec)
Lupine is offline Find More Posts by Lupine
Last edited by Lupine; Apr 04, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:05 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,256 Posts
Wow! Hope you made plans, people will be nagging.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
plans

I have the plans all on paper. Just need to put them together into a concise and convenient pdf form. The conversion from the control line 48" to the 76" RC took a lot of modifications which I did on paper. Will start working on it!
Old Mar 09, 2014, 11:58 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Nov 2013
257 Posts
Nice build! I'm definitely keen to see some videos of the flight! The C-130's hold a special place in my memories having been stationed at LRAFB when I was in the Army. There were times I couldn't wait to jump out of those perfectly good airplanes after a low level flight.

I'm curious why you went with a flaperon configuration vs spoileron? I've always had people recommend against flaperons due to tip-stall tendencies, especially with wings with wing-tip ailerons vs full wing length ailerons.
makattack is online now Find More Posts by makattack
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:50 PM
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
I did enlarge the ailerons a good 70% over the scale. I just like the flaps to slow this plane down for landings. When I activate the flaps I will mix in about 40-70% rudder with the ailerons. This is because at slow speeds ailerons can be worthless. It will be just trial and error to see how the flaperons work, if they don't I will deactivate them. Interested to how she flies as the wing in relation to the fuselage is angled upward (not sure the correct terminology). I attached the PDF plans I modified off the internet to show this aspect of the C130. Just look at the wing angle in relation to the fuselage in the plans.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
The control line plans that I modified to make the plane.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 04:14 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Nov 2013
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
I did enlarge the ailerons a good 70% over the scale. I just like the flaps to slow this plane down for landings. When I activate the flaps I will mix in about 40-70% rudder with the ailerons. This is because at slow speeds ailerons can be worthless. It will be just trial and error to see how the flaperons work, if they don't I will deactivate them. Interested to how she flies as the wing in relation to the fuselage is angled upward (not sure the correct terminology). I attached the PDF plans I modified off the internet to show this aspect of the C130. Just look at the wing angle in relation to the fuselage in the plans.
Ahh, nice. Rather than deactive the flaperons, if they don't work, you might even consider configuring them for reflection of a few degrees up for the spoilerons. I have done so for a twin engine plane (mid-wing mount) with ailerons that start near the tips and extend about 1/3 the length of the wing.

It works great to wonderfully slow down the plane for landings without any severe nose up/down attitude changes. I only need some slight up elevator to flow low and slow passes.

I wonder if that angled wing is for extra lift. Sort of like adding some under-camber for a semi-symmetrical / symmetrical wings.
makattack is online now Find More Posts by makattack
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
Yes, that is what the angled wing is for on the c130, for extra lift along with the thickest part of the airfoil at 50% of the cord. That was a new one to me, have never really noticed that before until I read it.

I have a DX7 with three flap settings, I usually set #1 as spoilerons(up) and #2 as full flaps down. The spoilerons are great as you said, the plane drops like a stone then I just flip to flaps down and the plane floats. I have been getting into the multi engine planes lately: built P38, cargo twin(fun plane!), B25, the c130 and now just working on adapting plane to plans from this guy from India called Sumu Pirate. He had the nice looking twin engine plane he designed called Goliath that I started my first build thread last week. He had the plane in a sketchup file but no plans. So I am soon to build that plane next and work out any kinks in the plans and modify them a little. If you search under Goliath you should find it.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
C130J is finished. Now just wait for some decent weather to fly.......
Old Mar 09, 2014, 11:04 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,765 Posts
Beauty build! Bravo!
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:35 PM
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
Lupine, what a great job you did on this scratch build.
How did you get the cockpit so scale?
Did you post any flights to Utube?
Thanks for posting this, again awesome job and I'm hoping to scratch build one as well.
msight6 is offline Find More Posts by msight6
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:58 PM
Pigeon 4 life.
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
652 Posts
WOW!! Thanks for the plans man!
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
She's all ready to fly. Just have to wait for the snow to melt here in northern NH. Hope to maiden in the next few weeks. I will try to post the plans after I adapted them from the link I posted. Fire off any questions you have I will answer them all. I will post video soon as she flies.

Joe
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
Here are the main wing plans. Trying to convert my modified paper plans to sketchup then to pdf for everyone.

Questions are welcome.
Just make sure you post pictures of your build.

Joe
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
Nacelle plans ready and in the top section of article.

Just finished the bulk of the fuselage plans also and are in top section of article.

Joe
Last edited by Lupine; Mar 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM.