HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:14 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Ok some more progress and a slight change of plans. The change being I will not be using my KK2 flight controller. I purchased a MWC Pro with GPS and also got a 3DR Telemetry kit to go with it. I decided to do what alot of DIY guys are doing, and protect the flight controller with a CD case, but then I was feeding my son out of this plastic bowl and thought "This would make a perfect protector for the GPS!".

So this is what I have come up with:

I cut away the bowl, just enough to fit perfectly inside the top of the CD case. The GPS module will be mounted to the "bottom" of the bowl.

You can see my finished landing gear

So now time for the dirty work. The wiring! As much as I hate gold connectors, they really made it easy to pull this off. Here's how I made my wiring harness.
Took two lengths of wire, aprox 9" long and stripped away about 3/4" of insulation on each end. Divide the exposed wire into two halfs, twist and bend 90 degree's to form a T. Each wire has two T's at each end, which are then soldered to female 3.5mm gold connectors:

I also added some solder between each gold connector, where the T intersects to provide strength. Once both pieces of wire were complete, I used a razor knife and cut away the insulation in the center of the wire. Only exposing maybe 1/2" and then splitting the exposed wire in half, creating a loop.

After that, I cut two more strands of wire that will run to my battery. Stripped some wire, and pushed the wire through the loop in the harness. I did the same with some much smaller gauge wire that will power my uBEC, voltage sensor & 12v aux. Once everything was through the loop, i twisted the harness wires to tighten everything, then gave it a good coat of solder to finish it up.

Here's the harness complete & ready for test fitting:

I might have made the harness too wide, but here it is stuffed in the frame with the ESC's connected:

I have to get crafty with the heatshrink, but I think this is a good start. Next I want to start mounting FPV gear.
subaru4wd is offline Find More Posts by subaru4wd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
I did some more work. Got crazy with some heatshrink-

Bottom plates in place. Still need to make battery mounts for these-

Test fitting 11" props-

My electronics mount-

Just a few more holes to drill and then its ready for paint
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Well it flies. And it flies DAMN GOOD too! But when flying, i switched on "heading hold" and lost orientation with my controls. I went in for a hard landing and broke all 4 of my landing gear feet. Was kind of funny, the feet stuffed into my lawn, all 4 broke at the same spot. The frame sitting on the lawn, next to its legs sticking up out of the grass. I laughed, then cussed, then came inside.

Here are some pix of things setup:

I guess its back to the drawing board... time to make some better landing gear.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:11 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,721 Posts
H-quads seem to be all the rage at the moment. Not so long ago it was the Y6! I'm going to build one up myself and get a new GoPro to mount up front.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:47 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
H-quads seem to be all the rage at the moment. Not so long ago it was the Y6! I'm going to build one up myself and get a new GoPro to mount up front.
It's funny how these things catch on...

I think people like the simplicity of the H-Quad, the ease of building one, and the available space for FPV equipment.

I'm also planning on building a H-Quad, but it is still in the design phase. I've been looking at different designs on line.

I want to build mine with foldable arms for portability.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:24 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
MWC Pro with GPS and 3DR Telemetry kit

Did you get this from Hobby King?

I was thinking about getting the DJI Naza to put in the H-Quad, but it's just darn too expensive.

If MWC Pro with GPS and also got a 3DR Telemetry kit can handle all of the DJI Naza features (position hold, altitude hold, return to home), then I rather get this FC because of the price...

Also, was it difficult to program?

Can you include a step-by-step tutorial to this build log thread on how you programmed the MWC Pro with GPS and 3DR Telemetry kit on your H-Quad?
Last edited by LittleG; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Did you get this from Hobby King?

I was thinking about getting the DJI Naza to put in the H-Quad, but it's just darn too expensive.

If MWC Pro with GPS and also got a 3DR Telemetry kit can handle all of the DJI Naza features (position hold, altitude hold, return to home), then I rather get this FC because of the price...

Also, was it difficult to program?

Can you include a step-by-step tutorial to this build log thread on how you programmed the MWC Pro with GPS and 3DR Telemetry kit on your H-Quad?
I bought this board from witespy. http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...ontroller.html

The GPS unit and the 3DR telemetry kit came pre-programed and all the wiring was done for me. Just plug things in, and fire her up. There was 0 programming involved.

This flight controller will do MORE than a Naza can.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:33 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
I clicked on the link you posted. It showed a board that looks like the pins will need to be soldered. Is this the case with this board?

So, it comes pre-programmed, don't you still have to configure it for the type of motor layout you're going to use, i.e. quad, hex, oct, etc.?

And also, are the P/I limits and gains already configured? Don't you have to connect the board to the computer, so they can be adjusted for fine turing if it is necessary?

I'm just so used to the KK2 board where you just select the motor layout on the board and adjust the P/I limits and gains.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
When you order the board, you request the pins. You can get a bare board and save a couple bucks, or specify in your request which pins you want and paul will solder them for you.

The GPS & 3DR came pre-programmed by paul to work with this board. The board came pre-programmed with MWC2.1 configured in the QUADX configuration. If you bought a MWC from anywhere else, you would have to do all the work. It seems Paul (witespy) does everything before shipping the board. This saved me hours of frustration and headaches.

You will need to connect the board to your PC to configure it. That is only for fine tuning PID's and setting up your Transmitter switches to control the flight modes.

This board is a HUGE jump up from the KK2.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:54 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
I just noticed the options at the bottom of the webpage.

So, which options did you select for your H-Quad setup?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
I paid the $5 for right angle pins on top.

and there should be a dropdown to add the ublox GPS module. If you read the item description on the right side of the screen it explains what he does before shipping these boards. Plus there are some pretty important links to software and information.

I am so glad I didn't buy the hobbyking board. I paid for the witespy board on a friday, and it was in my hands on the following monday! Whats today? Thursday and i'm getting ready for my 2nd flight
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
I'm so glad that I waited on getting the DJI Naza... For 90 bucks (includes shippig), this beats DJI Naza.

You just saved me a whole lot of money.

Thank you!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:31 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Thanks for the information...

You saved me a bunch of money.

I'm glad I waited on getting the DJI Naza, I was hesitant in getting it because of the price.
Last edited by LittleG; Dec 06, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
I will try to do a write-up, tutorial, or a video showing what you need to do to get the board talking to the PC. It would be specific to the witespy setup because I got the board pretty much ready to rock.

I am working on new landing gear as I type... when I am done I am planning on flashing MPNG back onto this board to test something out. But chances are I will go back to MW2.1 firmware since its proven to be so stable and I already have my TX setup for it.

Forget the Naza... its a huge waste of money.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,393 Posts
I love playing with these things. Just finishing up my second build. The first one sorta took a death plunge. Busted the arms and landing gear off so I'm starting over. Ordered a frame from Value Hobby to play with. I have my doubts about it. My flying abilities are somewhat weak to say the least. Heres the video Tx and Rx I ordered.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15295

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon