Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, CA, Chowchilla
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Discussion
How do you make your loops shorter?

When I do my loops on my v120d02s they take allot of space and I loose allot of altitude. Do I just increase the expo or does changing my pitch in-flight matter? (I keep the throttle the sake in the loops).
helikido is offline Find More Posts by helikido
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:56 AM
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Anyone?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:03 AM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
970 Posts
As you go into the loop and over the top you need to change pitch. If you keep positive pitch at the top your heli is pushing itself down. Enter the loop and as you go up and over gently pull on a little negative pitch and as you come down and back to upright change to positive again. You need to have your throttle curve to a constant and pitch to allow fit negative. Hope this helps. If thus is a fp bird then you can't change pitch do it will always lose altitude.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
As you go into the loop and over the top you need to change pitch. If you keep positive pitch at the top your heli is pushing itself down. Enter the loop and as you go up and over gently pull on a little negative pitch and as you come down and back to upright change to positive again. You need to have your throttle curve to a constant and pitch to allow fit negative. Hope this helps. If thus is a fp bird then you can't change pitch do it will always lose altitude.
Its a 3d bird. But wouldn't expo also help?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:14 AM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
970 Posts
expo just softens the controls around the centre (usually) so it won't make much difference to a loop, possibly the entry.Are you flying in stunt mode with a linear pitch curve, constant flat line throttle setting and 0 pitch at mid stick?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
expo just softens the controls around the centre (usually) so it won't make much difference to a loop, possibly the entry.Are you flying in stunt mode with a linear pitch curve, constant flat line throttle setting and 0 pitch at mid stick?
Yes I only fly in stunt mode with 0 pitch 10% throttle.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikido View Post
When I do my loops on my v120d02s they take allot of space and I loose allot of altitude. Do I just increase the expo or does changing my pitch in-flight matter? (I keep the throttle the sake in the loops).
Are we talking loops or flips here? Either way expo is not the answer, it won't get you any more servo travel. No matter what your expo setting is, with the ele stick at the stop you still get the same output.

The trick to flipping in place is throttle control and timing. Your actual flip rate doesn't matter too much esp given that a D02S is perfectly capable of it.

Try making sure that you're at mid stick when the helicopter is vertical. I found that this was the biggest part of getting neat flips. Also, it takes alot less pitch, both cyclic and collective than you think to do a neat loop.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:20 PM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,034 Posts
Quote:
As you go into the loop and over the top you need to change pitch. If you keep positive pitch at the top your heli is pushing itself down. Enter the loop and as you go up and over gently pull on a little negative pitch and as you come down and back to upright change to positive again.
+1. You also want the heli to be travelling reasonably fast forward before you enter the loop. If it's going fast enough you won't even need negative pitch; 0 degrees pitch as the heli goes over the top when it's upside down is enough, as centrifugal force will prevent it from losing altitude.

Another tip is, pull back on the cyclic just a bit to enter the loop, leave the cyclic stick in the same position until the heli has completed the loop, and just concentrate on working the collective.

Dusty
Dusty1000 is offline Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000 View Post
+1. You also want the heli to be travelling reasonably fast forward before you enter the loop. If it's going fast enough you won't even need negative pitch; 0 degrees pitch as the heli goes over the top when it's upside down is enough, as centrifugal force will prevent it from losing altitude.

Another tip is, pull back on the cyclic just a bit to enter the loop, leave the cyclic stick in the same position until the heli has completed the loop, and just concentrate on working the collective.

Dusty
Wow thanks guys. And I'm working on both flips and loops lol. So far I've had 5 crashes trying to do two flips in a row (Heli just travels to far and bogs down) but its all good haha. Destroyed a whole skid and and canopy in the process
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
970 Posts
With multiple flips try to pause between them just to allow a little head speed to build back up.

Keep practicing and having fun - that's the important part!
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:22 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikido View Post
Yes I only fly in stunt mode with 0 pitch 10% throttle.
If i was you I would start by having the helicopter you are flying setup correctly as a cp helicopter.

By having 0 pitch at 10% throttle you have hardly any negative pitch available and will never have tight controlled flips or loops. Not only that but it means your cp heli is not mechanically setup correctly and any settings someone gives you will behave very differently than if they were going to a proper setup heli.

You should go back and set your helicopter up proper with 0 pitch at center stick with servo arms as close to horizontal as possible while having a complete linear 0-100% pitch curve. This way your heli will be mechanically setup correct and then you can adjust your pitch curves and they will behave as they should.

So after you do that you then correct your normal curve to something like 42-45-50-75-100. You always want 0 pitch at center stick even for normal mode as it will make transition’s easier between modes... Besides you don’t want to ever throttle down in preparation for a crash you want to always be on top of the throttle hold toggle instead for any mode you fly in.

Different heli but same idea
Mcpx 0 pitch setup (4 min 42 sec)

Then setup stunt 1 as 0-25-50-75-100 with a flat throttle curve of 80% or higher
do the same with stunt 2 except give a full 100% flat curve.

BTW dont flip it near your brother’s head....
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Aug 08, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:31 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
970 Posts
I hoped a 0 was missing from that %
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:39 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
I hoped a 0 was missing from that %
If it was then
1) I wasted my time
2) it should flip quite fast and easy unless his elevator travel is severely impeded.

Both of my 120d02s heli’s I have owned flipped very fast at full rates and I can get them on a good battery to flip close to on axis

Edit: I just reread the first post and it seems he also keeps his throttle the same during loops which to me also points to not flying the heli like a CP heli in idle up so there is a chance it isnt setup correctly.

If it is setup correctly thenit is as easy as he needs to pop in some negative pitch when it falls backwards to catch that egg and it wont fall out of the sky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Aug 08, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
If it was then
1) I wasted my time
2) it should flip quite fast and easy unless his elevator travel is severely impeded.

Both of my 120d02s heli’s I have owned flipped very fast at full rates and I can get them on a good battery to flip close to on axis

Edit: I just reread the first post and it seems he also keeps his throttle the same during loops which to me also points to not flying the heli like a CP heli in idle up so there is a chance it isnt setup correctly.

If it is setup correctly thenit is as easy as he needs to pop in some negative pitch when it falls backwards to catch that egg and it wont fall out of the sky
Your right I have it set like I have it because I can't change my pitccvh curves with my wk2603 tx . (Can't afford 2801 pro yet). Anyways I'll add some - pitch by making the heli closer to zero pitch in stunt mode.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:24 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
check your pm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed