HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:48 PM
Joined Aug 2005
375 Posts
Discussion
SK720 self leveling

Does anyone here using SK720 with the self leveling function?
wonder it really works as claimed since i want to get a 2nd hand one and install it
onto my 500 heli, thanks
ecat is offline Find More Posts by ecat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:29 AM
United States, AR
Joined Jan 2011
67 Posts
I've seen it work, saved a guy from crashing his. I bought one to use on my project after seeing that. Will be testing on my Swift 16
panzerdivision is offline Find More Posts by panzerdivision
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2006
51 Posts
I have a sk720 on Align Trex 500 (SL works)

The self-leveling feature of the sk720 works exactly as they say it does.
It does not hover (keep heli in one place). It keeps it level with the ground ....may blow left or right with wind, it may be going foreward or back (depending on momentum or wind). It can be used to prevent almost all pilot error crashes (if pilot is trying not to crash). I purchased it for the self-leaving feature, and am extreemly satisfied. Perhaps the only catch-22 was that before SL is activated, you must fly the unit in a mode that records the vibration of the heli. (if activated with high vibration ....the unit itself can cause a crash). I couldn't fly my heli except to hover it, but just hovering was enough to measure vibration. Then in SL mode flew very mildly to figure out vibration levels. Oh yes without the SL feature: I would probably have had more than 50 crashes in learning to fly (scale type flying). Am up over a hundred 6-minute flights, with NO repairs at all.
Leon
leonstevens is offline Find More Posts by leonstevens
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
375 Posts
thanks for your input Leon, but so sad that i missed the chance to get a 2nd hand one with an attractive price.So now I continue to use my SK360...
ecat is offline Find More Posts by ecat
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:08 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,372 Posts
If you use two Spektrum remote receivers and you do not bind them correctly, the software will warn you during setup of the system. If there is a problem with the ESC, BEC, or shorting (defective) servos, it will warn you when you connect after a flight. If your vibration levels are much too high, it will also send up a flag when you next connect it to the computer after a flight. I take a small netbook to the field now and check after each flight to see what has occured as it may save a crash. I think it is money well spent. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:45 AM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonstevens View Post
The self-leveling feature of the sk720 works exactly as they say it does.
It does not hover (keep heli in one place). It keeps it level with the ground ....may blow left or right with wind, it may be going foreward or back (depending on momentum or wind). It can be used to prevent almost all pilot error crashes (if pilot is trying not to crash). I purchased it for the self-leaving feature, and am extreemly satisfied. Perhaps the only catch-22 was that before SL is activated, you must fly the unit in a mode that records the vibration of the heli. (if activated with high vibration ....the unit itself can cause a crash). I couldn't fly my heli except to hover it, but just hovering was enough to measure vibration. Then in SL mode flew very mildly to figure out vibration levels. Oh yes without the SL feature: I would probably have had more than 50 crashes in learning to fly (scale type flying). Am up over a hundred 6-minute flights, with NO repairs at all.
Leon
i read that gassers have to much viberation for the SL is this true for nitros? or what did you use them on.. im thinking about getting one on a vibe or rex 600
nuttzzy34 is offline Find More Posts by nuttzzy34
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:03 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,372 Posts
My 550 had a bad case of vibrations that would prevent the self-righting feature of the 720 from working properly. After a number of small incrimental steps to reduce them, the real cuprit was the 1.6mm tail fin. I changed it to a Fusuno 2mm unit and the vibrations just about disappeared from the readouts. That is one thing the Skookum unit will help you track down by putting out a vibration frequency chart that you can look at the high point, take the rpm shown, and use it to trace where in the helicopter that rpm would show up. In my case, it was in and around 10,100 rpm, which was the rpm of the tail assembly. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
My 550 had a bad case of vibrations that would prevent the self-righting feature of the 720 from working properly. After a number of small incrimental steps to reduce them, the real cuprit was the 1.6mm tail fin. I changed it to a Fusuno 2mm unit and the vibrations just about disappeared from the readouts. That is one thing the Skookum unit will help you track down by putting out a vibration frequency chart that you can look at the high point, take the rpm shown, and use it to trace where in the helicopter that rpm would show up. In my case, it was in and around 10,100 rpm, which was the rpm of the tail assembly. Take care.

Don
oh thats sweet.. well i got one otw and nitro engine chopper so we shale see what happends
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:06 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post

Don
I believe that the 1.6mm vs. 2mm issue is just a byproduct of terrible tail shafts on these TT T550's. On my T550, using the Vbar spectrum analyser and troubleshooting excessive tail frequency vibration levels showed that you would be hard pressed to get a TT tail shaft that wasnt bent. Going to a T600 belt tail case/tail rotor shaft immediately smoothed the vibration levels some 75%. I think they are bending those tail shafts pushing the gear on, or they are just poor quality (not straight) shafts. This is based on the new in kit tail shaft, as well as a new replacement parts shaft.

Probably get some additional resonant vibration with the 1.6mm tail fin, or the 2mm fin is damping the core vibration with additional mass in that area I'd guess.
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:34 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,372 Posts
The reason that I know it was the fin is that I thoroughly checked all shafts and the torque tube to see that they were straight. Even the original rotor head was replaced a long time ago because of heavy vibrations during spool-up so everything that could be out of alignment is brand new and straight. Please remember that this was a vibration that could not be seen, only recorded on a graph, so there were no visual clues that something was not as it should be. Take care.

Don

PS. One last thing, the video quality jumped up a whole bunch. It's still not perfect but I am not using anything that could isolate the camera from the heli. Yet.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:27 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,372 Posts
One very important function that the SK 720 does when it is connected to remote receivers is that it will track the number of lost frames (data bits) for the duration of the flight. As an example, my setup only lost 2 frames on one and 1 frame on the second remote, which is nothing. I am sure that there are some of you that might know when to get worried, but I had my 550 as far out as I would normally ever take it and as high as I am comfortable with, so I am fairly certain I have the two remotes in fairly good positions. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
yeah i got a SK720 and im looking at a Gy520 to pair with it.. good idea or no?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,372 Posts
You don't need the 520 in my opinion. I don't think it will add very much to the hold capability of the Skookum. You can try it and if you like it, go for it, but I think you can save it for another heli without 3 axis gyro stabilization. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2006
74 Posts
sweet thanks yeah if it dont help it can go on a 2nd heli.. or backup.. you know how the R/c world is pack rats till we get something better..