HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:31 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,120 Posts
I would consider a Jaicco Smartswitch regulator (available in 5.0, 5.7 and 6.0V) from F3AUnlimited. It is a "fail safe" design; if the switch fails, the regulator is ON ...not OFF.
You can power it from a 2S Lipo (800-900mA) or a LiFe pack or a 5cell NiCD/NiMH pack , depending on your preference for battery chemistry and/or weight.

You can even run TWO Jaicco regulators off of TWO battery packs and have full pwoer redundancy
Or you can run ONE Jaicco regulator and use a ESC with built in BEC. Set the ESC BEC to a slightly higher voltage than the Jaicco regulator. If the main ESC BEC supply fails, the Jaicco takes over and you can land safely.

Rx switch on the outside is a nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.

Also consider adding an external arming plug on the side of the fuselage. Mike at F3A sells them (Anderson PowerPole type IIRC). Good safety device.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:56 PM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jan 2014
197 Posts
Teo,
I will look into the linear BEC.
Aerobatic Addict is offline Find More Posts by Aerobatic Addict
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2014
197 Posts
LTC,
Good info. I'll have to give F3A unlimited a call.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,646 Posts
(2) 48" extensions for elevators

(2) 6" for aileron

That's about it. Depending on where you place your receiver, you will probabl need a 6" to 9" extension for ESC.

My build is almost complete. I just need to install pull-pull, servo linkages all the way around, and setup wing incidence.

Shooting for a maiden this weekend.

BTW, I run (2) 2s LiFe 1100mah packs on two Hi-tec heav duty switches.

Been using those switches on all my planes for years with no failures.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Joined Jan 2014
197 Posts
Thanks for the info on the extensions. Let us know how the maiden goes.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Joined Jan 2014
197 Posts
Are most guys running a safety arm switch on the esc and switch on the regulator for the receiver? I have always had canopy latches and or thumb screws for the canopy all the way up to 74" planes. My gas planes do use switches. My friend has an electric 78" EF extra with two latches. I just really don't like making the side of the plane ugly with switches and prefer less wiring. Are switches and or safety plugs required to compete. If they are I guess I will have to do them. Thanks for the info.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatic Addict View Post
Are most guys running a safety arm switch on the esc and switch on the regulator for the receiver? I have always had canopy latches and or thumb screws for the canopy all the way up to 74" planes. My gas planes do use switches. My friend has an electric 78" EF extra with two latches. I just really don't like making the side of the plane ugly with switches and prefer less wiring. Are switches and or safety plugs required to compete. If they are I guess I will have to do them. Thanks for the info.
I use Arm-Safe safety plugs on all my pattern planes. I also use LiFe battery and switches outside the plane. That way when it's my turn to fly, I plug in the jumper, switch on the receiver and go. As soon as I land, the plug is pulled. no chance for the prop to spin. No battery to install or canopy to mess with at the last minute.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Today, 06:46 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
515 Posts
Linear BEC!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatic Addict View Post
Teo,
I will look into the linear BEC.
Linear BECs use old technology. The voltage is dropped across resistors, generating waste heat. They have a very clean noise signal, but modern switching BECs should be plenty clean enough. If a switching BEC is causing jittering or glitching, it's faulty. No way would I recommend using a linear BEC to regulate voltage to large-size digital servos. Keep in mind the switching signal occurs thousands of times per second, but is smoothed using large capacitors to ensure a noise-free voltage supply - it's not just "raw switching"! No waste heat, no inefficiency.
Straight Up is online now Find More Posts by Straight Up