Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
old foamie
Joined Oct 2007
605 Posts
Whoa, thats pretty spry for a indoor plane.You did a good job on it.
old foamie is offline Find More Posts by old foamie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
what's your power system on that Stryker Kiwikid?
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:49 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,952 Posts
Any set up you would use for a 3D EPP foamie will do.

I used a stick mounted Ultrafly B/06/10 1000kv outrunner, swinging a GWS HD 8x6 prop with a 15 amp ESC and an 800 mAh 20C battery. There is enough room in the battery bay to go up to 1300 battery which I use sometimes when ridge soaring for ballast.
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EPP Eagle
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:38 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
Any set up you would use for a 3D EPP foamie will do.

I used a stick mounted Ultrafly B/06/10 1000kv outrunner, swinging a GWS HD 8x6 prop with a 15 amp ESC and an 800 mAh 20C battery. There is enough room in the battery bay to go up to 1300 battery which I use sometimes when ridge soaring for ballast.
I want to build mine like yours. I'm new to RC planes so speed is not on my priority list. I just need it to be able to handle 5-10mph wind bc it's always windy in Chicago. But slow enough that I can learn to fly.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:31 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,950 Posts
Tried watching that last video but its hard to see when youre up shakin dat thang!!!

All my parts have just been sitting here!! I still need a fuselage and depron....and some good tape for the hinges. Or super light hinges what do you guys prefer?

Sorta ran outta cash and need a real radio still also. But cant friekin wait to get one of these in the air!!! Nice flyin there kiwi looks smooth and fun.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:49 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
wopa - I use blenderm tape for my hinges on my other planes. Works great!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,807 Posts
If you don't have any Blenderm, you can use plain old packing tape. Tape doesn't like to stick to epp, so you may need to spray a light coat of 3M 90 or 3m 77 spray glue where you will be placing the tape. Let it dry for a while and then the tape will stick.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:02 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Hi all,

After reading this thread, I ordered the parts and started building my light Stryker last nite. I'm using the following motor and mount:

- 2712-17 1700KV motor
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ner-Brushless-
- Motor mount
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail

I was wondering if I need to angle the mount and/or motor a certain way to counter the torque? Sorry for a newbie question, I'm still learning to fly and this is my first Stryker.

Thanks!
Tom
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,692 Posts
I used that same plastic stick mount on my lightweight Stryker (though I bought mine from HobbyKing). When I installed the mount, I attempted to align it parallel to the top/bottom centerline of the fuse, NOT to the top surface of the fuse (which angles down toward the back because of the tapering fuse/wing thickness). So the stick mount is embedded a little deeper towards the front. See the attached photo. It worked out just fine that way inflight...there are no sudden pitch-change effects when increasing or decreasing power. There is a build description and another photo of my lightweight Stryker here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337131
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:59 PM
mental as anything
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor View Post
Hi all,

After reading this thread, I ordered the parts and started building my light Stryker last nite. I'm using the following motor and mount:

- 2712-17 1700KV motor
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ner-Brushless-
- Motor mount
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail

I was wondering if I need to angle the mount and/or motor a certain way to counter the torque? Sorry for a newbie question, I'm still learning to fly and this is my first Stryker.

Thanks!
Tom
With the lightweight setup and the motor you're using I doubt you'll have any torque roll issue. Here is a diagram showing how it works. Might be good to build in a small amount of left thrust per the diagram. One or two degrees is good.
NOTAR 600 is online now Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
I used the same motor mount. I just glued it to the top surface of the wing. I do not embed it in the wing at all. This gives it a very slight down thrust which I like. It does not pitch up or down with the throttle and helps holds the nose down with full throttle. I align it to the nose as straight as possible with no left or right angle.
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,807 Posts
Notar's advice would be good if you had some serious gear in your Stryker, but for lightweight, low-powered stuff, don't even worry about it. If your motor was mounted on the front, you may need a slight bit of angle to the motor, but with a pusher, no left thrust is needed unless you are in excess of 600+ watts. My "Outlaw" Stryker at 600 watts and 120+ mph uses no left thrust and has no torque issues at all.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
mental as anything
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,352 Posts
I agree with you murman.......but its good to be aware of the situation to avoid a sloppy build where you accidently end up with a bit of right thrust on a stryker then wonder why it's hard to control....That's why I suggest at least tiny amount of left thrust as a good practice. Not critical as long as you're dead on straight.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:06 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
cool! Thanks a bunch guys. I can't wait to get this baby in the air!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
mental as anything
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,352 Posts
Hey wow!

Here is a motor that might be fun on a light stryker. Don's RC has this 2200kv brushless outrunner firewall type mounting......only 29 grams. A little small for what I've been used to. This one has been tested with up to a 6x4 prop which pushes a stryker real good but I'm afraid it would overheat. The 5x5 would probly work better.

http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=63