New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2015, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by Horty40
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Feb 2015
25 Posts
Discussion
Fat Shark Attitude V2 FPV Bundle - Configuration and Flight Environment Question

Okay I recently purchase and installed the Fat Shark Attitude V2 5.8 FPV bundle (http://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-gogg...pv-bundle.html) and set it up on my airplane as seen in the attached picture. I went flying yesterday in a neighborhood park and overall the system worked great.

I would say that 70% of the time I had a very clear and solid signal, 20% of the time there was some static and 10% of the time there was only static. I flew in a pattern (the pattern was an oval flown entirely out in front of me and the airplane was never blocked from my view or from the antenna on my rx. I doubt I ever got more than 400 yards away.) and noticed that the static seemed to appear in the same places. So here are some questions for you all...

(1) Based on the attached picture is there anything wrong with my video tx placement (i.e. - antenna not pointing in the right direction, tx too close to motor, tx too close to battery compartment)?

(2) Can a 5.8 system penetrate duct tape as there is some on my airplane from a previous crash?

(3) How good are the SpiroNET circular polarized antenna that came with this bundle? Do you think that this could be my limiting factor with this system?

(4) The area in which I was flying was a fairly densely populated neighborhood, would that have an impact on a 5.8 system?

(5) What kind of range and clarity should I expect from this system during unobstructed and clear line of sight flight? I want to make sure my expectations are in line with reality.

Basically I am trying to find out what was causing the static so I can eliminate it. I welcome any questions or comments. Thanks for your help.

-Horty
Horty40 is offline Find More Posts by Horty40
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2015, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by waltr
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
7,270 Posts
The antenna orientation is wrong for fairly level flying.
Google to find IBCrazy's videos about antennas and antenna patterns to learn why yours is wrong.

Good video is also largely about the RX antenna. Guessing you use the same.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
1,041 Posts
Being in a neighborhood the RF noise floor is likely very high. Additionally, the video transmitter that comes with the attitudes is a lower power system, so don't expect much range (I'd say max 1/3-1/2 mile if you're lucky).

The spironets are good antennas. If you have the money buy VAS stuff but for mass production antennas the spironets are top quality.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Jul 13, 2015, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by DanT
United States, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,888 Posts
Antenna is set wrong on aircraft should be pointed up or down ,
Antenna on goggles should be pointed up .
I would move antenna on aircraft away from motor .
IMO I would not use Fatshark camera .
IMO I would get a different VTX with no less then 250 mW
Using those types of Antennas will breakup when you bank your aircraft in a turn .
Good advice on checking out IBCrazy videos ..
Have fun.
DanT
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT