Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by keithtsr
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
if your close to 100mm, you should be fine. and I think youll be surprised how well it flies on that amount of power, looks like a clean airframe. ps....for the 590kv, that sounds about right just get a yep 120, and run 13 or 14s if you really need to...but I don't think you will
Thanks for the advice. I'm positive she will fly......I need some weather cooperation.
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by Dynodan
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
All,
I flew my Cyclone last night, I decided I would rather see it crash than to keep looking at it in my basement. I figured I would take off and have some kind of trouble with the fan/motor so I planned for a gear up landing in the grass. I'm running a Dynamax fan with a Scorpion (Dyn-e-max) 800kv motor on 10s and a Turnigy Dlux 160a ESC. I got it on the centerline and powered up and by God it flew! Pulled the gear up, made a circuit and set up for a high speed pass, went to full power and hit maybe 120 mph or so, then the speed controller overheated and started pulsing, I dropped the gear and lined up for landing, set it down and hit the brakes and sure enough, they worked! I flew about 2 min or so, had 3.86v left in the tanks. Pulls 145a with 42 volts. So it looks like either a new speed controller or a 12s setup. You can get a 700kv scorpion with dynamax adapter that pulls 110a for $220.00. Might go with that setup and run 3 4 cell 5000s.
Dynodan is offline Find More Posts by Dynodan
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,480 Posts
I'd replace the esc. The Turnigy Delux line is over rated. The jet is worth puttinga CCC 160 in forssure. Looks nice
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Erlanger
Joined Dec 2000
7,481 Posts
Congrats Dynodan
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Aug 13, 2015, 02:28 PM
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
Thanks guys! Bob, I had a lot better luck than I did with my foam Duke at Deer Creek the day you were there!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by A10pilot
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynodan View Post
All,
I flew my Cyclone last night, I decided I would rather see it crash than to keep looking at it in my basement. I figured I would take off and have some kind of trouble with the fan/motor so I planned for a gear up landing in the grass. I'm running a Dynamax fan with a Scorpion (Dyn-e-max) 800kv motor on 10s and a Turnigy Dlux 160a ESC. I got it on the centerline and powered up and by God it flew! Pulled the gear up, made a circuit and set up for a high speed pass, went to full power and hit maybe 120 mph or so, then the speed controller overheated and started pulsing, I dropped the gear and lined up for landing, set it down and hit the brakes and sure enough, they worked! I flew about 2 min or so, had 3.86v left in the tanks. Pulls 145a with 42 volts. So it looks like either a new speed controller or a 12s setup. You can get a 700kv scorpion with dynamax adapter that pulls 110a for $220.00. Might go with that setup and run 3 4 cell 5000s.
Congratulations on your successful maiden. I thought I would offer some input on the motor and KV selection. I have done a few Dynamax EDF conversions and here is the info I have gathered.

I have run two different Dynamax conversions with different KV's. I have run the Scorpion 4035-630KV and the HET 800-685KV.Both have been on 12S. Both of the fans have been run on my Falcon 120 with an intake ring and a 14" long tail pipe with a 3.75" diameter exit. The 630KV unit puts out about 13 lbs. of thrust at 119 amps, 5.2 KW and about 26,300 rpm. The 685 KV setup puts out about 16-17 lbs. of thrust at 123 amps, 5 KW and 25,144 rpm. I only have one flight's worth of data from the 685 KV setup so the numbers may change with more flights. My experience suggests that your thrust will be somewhat lower with a full intake and a long exhaust pipe than on my installation with open intake and a short exhaust.

If you are going to consider a different motor then I would consider using the 4035-630KV or the 700KV. I don't think that the 630 is available any more so the 700 may be the only available choice. If you go to the 700KV then I think you might be looking at about 120-130 amps for 12S. Don't know where the 110 amp data came from but it is a higher KV than my 630 so I would think it would pull a few more amps. I would guess that the 700KV might pull 120-130 amps.

Thee are some that will "criticize" the Castle ESC's but I have had good success and the Castle guys do support their products. They have a 1 year warranty on their ESC's (if bought new) and they have honored the warranty on any ESC I have had. I have not run the Sunrise but have run the YEP and they work well but on my planes that I value, I use Castle.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:38 PM
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
Thanks Ed. That's very helpful. I have a HET Typhoon on an 8s Habu 32x and a CC 130 esc that is pretty awesome. The Scorpion motors are hard to come by. I called and sent Frank and email at Dyn-e-max and haven't heard anything. Looks like I can get a 685 Typhoon through HET for 159. I'll try. We'll see.

I copied this from innov8tive designs website who sells Scorpion motors...

"With the Dynamax ducted fan, the Scorpion Electric Conversion Kit is designed to be run on 12 Li-Po cells. Running on 12 Li-Po cells, 42 volts under load, the motor will pull 110 amps for 4800 watts of power, and will produce 5500 grams of thrust at approximately 30,000 RPM."

I don't know how they are getting 42 volts from 12 cells.

Ed, is the bolt pattern the same on the HET as on the Scorpion where it mounts to the adapter?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:54 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,894 Posts
[QUOTE=Dynodan;

Ed, is the bolt pattern the same on the HET as on the Scorpion where it mounts to the adapter?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure. I measured the Scorpion 4035 and the bolt pattern is 25mm circle. I do not have access to an HET 800 series motor (mine is in a fan in a plane) but I believe that the 800's are also on a 25mm circle. Might send Tony Tang at HET an e-mail (sales@highendrc.com).

The 110 amps they quoted on 12S @ 42 volts suggests that their batteries were at 3.5 volts when they took the "reading" so the batteries may have been dying and not producing the power. Not sure how they got the rpm's they quote for the power out and the low battery voltage. I have never seen 30K rpm on a Dynamax. Best I can recall is about 26.5K and that is on some really good Dinogy 6600 mah batteries.

With regards to finding some of the Scorpion 4035-630KV motors or the 700KV motors, try sending Lucien at Innov8tive Designs an e-mail and see if he can find some for you (www.innov8tivedesigns.com) or put a "Want Ad' in the RCG and RCU "For Sale" Forums.

Ed
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
I absolutely hate this part of the EDF game! Thank you for your help, I sen an email to HET. We'll see what they say.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the fan sounded soooo bada$$! 5 of my freaking flying buddies were standing around watching my knees shake and not one of them pulled out there phone and took a video! Of course I forgot too!

Dang, Tony from HET already sent me a picture of the HET 800 bolt pattern! It is 25mm. So they are the same.
Last edited by Dynodan; Aug 13, 2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 07:08 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynodan View Post
I absolutely hate this part of the EDF game! Thank you for your help, I sen an email to HET. We'll see what they say.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the fan sounded soooo bada$$! 5 of my freaking flying buddies were standing around watching my knees shake and not one of them pulled out there phone and took a video! Of course I forgot too!

Dang, Tony from HET already sent me a picture of the HET 800 bolt pattern! It is 25mm. So they are the same.

Glad Tony replied so quickly. Hope the bolt patterns being the same will help.

Ed
Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:04 AM
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
I'll have some numbers on the HET in 2 - 4 days, ordered it last night. I can't wait to fly this thing again.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 04:53 PM
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
Got my HET 685kv motor bolted into my fan. Everything lines up pretty well, the shaft is a lot shorter than on a Dyn-e-max but I have about an inch or so for the collet to grip on so hopefully that will be enough for it to stay put. Waiting on batteries and connectors and I'll give it another go.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 07:05 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,894 Posts
I think one inch of capture for the collet to capture the motor shaft will be OK. I really think you will like the 685 in the Dynamax on 12S. I flew my Falcon 120 with the Dynamax and 685 last week and had forgotten how well it flew (I had not flown it in about 1 year as I was doing the "turbine thing").

Please let us know how the fan flies the plane.

Ed