Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,794 Posts
Question
XG14 features compared to XG8 for F3X models

I bought an XG6 in 2013 and have been using it for several of my models. Currently I am using it for all my 1.5 meter DLGs and my Paragon. I like it and the DMSS receivers a lot. I like the built in telemetry and the form factor of especially the newer DMSS receivers are very glider friendly. I like the JR glider programming too.

I have a Tragi 705 that I fly with an old JR 783 with a DSM2 module. I have been using that setup since 2007 and it has worked well for me but the old 783 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I have thought about using the XG6 for the Tragi. It would certainly work and with the glider programming built into the XG6, the 3 flight modes, and 2 free mixes I believe it would match the programming that I currently have in the 783 or at least come close to it.

But I know there are some things that could be even better than what I have been using for years and I have been considering the XG8. I know that more flight modes would allow me to have an actual flight mode for speed/cruise/float/launch/and land (the 783 I have been using doesn't actually have true flight modes). I also am thinking that the XG8 could let me do things like use the throttle stick to activate flight modes. I have looked at the XG14 too. I have been looking at the manuals trying to determine from a F3X model perspective what features does the 14 have over the 8? So my main question is what are the major F3X functions that the 14 has that the 8 doesn't?

Secondarily which colors of the radios do folks prefer? The black or the silver?

Thanks in advanced everyone!

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:47 AM
Find More Posts by burke757
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
502 Posts
Ryan, I have both XG8 and 14. They are very similar. The 14 has the upgraded gimbals, but the XG8 gimbals are fine IMO. The other main differences for what you are talking about are number of flight modes and the ability to electronically fine tune all flight surfaces. XG8 should have 5 flight modes if memory serves. I think the XG14 has 8 flight modes. The XG14 can fine tune each aileron and each flap in every flight mode, as well as adjust travel electronically for movements not captured in the resting flight mode position. The XG8 cannot do that. It is almost identical in functionality to the 9303 in that you can adjust the flaps or ailerons together up or down with an external trim in each flight mode, but you cannot adjust them separately. With the XG8, if the mechanical settings are different from flap to flap or aileron to aileron, you will either need to fix it so that they are, use aileron trim to adjust in each flight mode (not sure how to fix flaps), or just live with the imbalance.

For RES and DLG, I do not see much an advantage for the XG14. For full house planes, it definitely helps to have the XG14 (or XG11). I actually like the XG11 a little better because the bigger battery compartment allows for more options for backup batteries (and it looks like optimus prime). That being said, the stock battery is very good and the built in charger works pretty fast. I bought a 30 dollar inverter that I bring to the field with me to plug the AC radio charger into for field charging the stock battery (inside the radio). On the downside, the XG11 has 6 flight modes and it is heavier than the 8/14. The 8 and 14 are about the same weight (14 might be a little heavier) and have the same form factor.

If I had any gripes with the XG series, they are minor. One gripe would be when transferring a program from the 11 to the 14, you have to do little tweaks here and there to make them work right... typically in how flight modes are selected. That switchology does not seem to transfer when you copy the program. Another is the aforementioned tiny battery compartment of the 8/14 and that JR will not say what the voltage range of the radio is so you can use other battery chemistries with the radio (lipo or lion). Finally, I dislike the limited telemetry range of the early receivers (the newer receivers seem to have fixed this problem).

Overall, I would say the XG radios are top quality and control link is outstanding...very resilient. Components are very high quality and very reliable. That is why I fly them in my most expensive airplanes.

Just my two cents.

Randy
burke757 is offline Find More Posts by burke757
Last edited by burke757; Apr 29, 2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:34 AM
Find More Posts by mlachow
Joined Oct 2005
1,446 Posts
The XG8 has some improvements over a 9503 for programming and it is fine for the pilot who wants 3 to 5 flight modes. Adds things like some flexibility in flap channels and dual spoilers and v tail differential and and switch combination to set a particular flight mode including stick position and renaming the modes for the screen.

The XG14 gets you more flight modes. The flight modes are easier to fine tune across all surfaces because you have the option to set each one individually vs the older style trim setting. If you have any differences in linkage geometry then the balance function is a lifesaver for matching the left and right surfaces. The 14 will also handle multi aileron configurations. Ergo wise, the 14 sticks are really smooth and the 14 comes with the switch covers. The antenna on the 14 is shorter so it doesn't get in the way packing.

The other nice part of getting one right now is you get two additional rx.

If you want the tray setup and switches on the ends of sticks the you can get the xg14e.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:53 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,794 Posts
Thanks a ton, Randy and Mike. this is exactly what I wanted to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757 View Post
Finally, I dislike the limited telemetry range of the early receivers (the newer receivers seem to have fixed this problem).
So far I haven't really noticed an issue with the telemetry range but then almost all of my flying with the DMSS has been in DLGs. I take it by newer you mean the units like the 712 right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachow View Post
The other nice part of getting one right now is you get two additional rx.

That's a big reason why I'm looking at doing this now.

Ryan
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by stefanoc2
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
498 Posts
Ryan,

I have owned an XG8 and I am now using the XG14.

It boils down to the BALANCE function which allows you to sync the movement of one flap with the other. I found that no matter how much care I put into creating "identical" geometries for the linkages, there are always some problems close to the end of travel. The BALANCE function is fantastic giving you 5 set points along a curve (you pick the location) to synchronize the flaps. This and the additional flight modes was my reason for switching.

The XG14 is also considerably heavier but I find that to be a plus as the XG8 feels to light in my hands.

They both have the ability to switch Flight Modes and Mixes on and off using stick movements i.e. switch to LANDING mode or turn off Flaperon mixing when pulling down flaps.

The 712 receiver telemetry range is rock solid, truly to the limits of my eyesight. Draw back with the new receivers is the rigid shielding (approx. 1") at the base of the antennas which makes install tricky..

Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:07 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,794 Posts
Stefano,

Thanks very much for the feedback. It seems everyone really likes that balance feature. Hmmm... The 14 is a bit over my budget but maybe I can find a way.

Regarding the weight, I have to think the XG6 is even lighter than the XG8! I like it for DLGs (I understand some folks like more flight modes than I use though) and I have been told by several folks that XG6 programs can be copied to the 8/14 (with possible need to change which switches things are assigned to). Having a backup to the XG6 would be nice too.

Regarding the shielded part I know what you mean on that I have two RG411BLs and those have that shielded antenna. Luckily my models the fuselages haven't really been a problem to find a way to make it fit.

Decisions decisions. Thanks a ton everyone for all the info/advice/help.

Ryan
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:11 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,794 Posts
What about colors? What is the difference between the silver and black XG8?

Ryan
Old Apr 29, 2015, 02:03 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,446 Posts
The older 631b receivers were shipped with shorter range telemetry module. I swapped mine out for full range version that had chip antenna since that is what fit in that model. Now I get 712bx but I'm waiting for 612bx for my f3b models. Space...

The nx3425 are nice for direct xbus fuse servos.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by Kenbogunz
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Sep 2008
238 Posts
If you buy an xg now do you get the updated 631s?......are all of the receivers now full range telemetry?
Kenbogunz is online now Find More Posts by Kenbogunz
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:05 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,446 Posts
There are different packages. You can get most xg with the 712bx receiver.

For a 631 you would have to buy a different remote. The standard package is still the same. There is a 612bx that also includes xbus and does not need a separate remote. But it's not available yet.

If you like lots of antennas there is a ra02 with two antennas in a light case.

Unless you have tight space or weight constraints, the 712bx should be fine. You can add a remote but you don't need it. You get two additional 712bx with the current promo deal.
Old May 04, 2015, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by stefanoc2
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
498 Posts
Where is the promo deal you all are talking about?
Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old May 04, 2015, 03:02 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,794 Posts
http://www.jramericas.com/pdf/JR_Free_Receiver_Form.pdf

http://www.jramericas.com/XG2FREERX/

Ryan