Old Dec 27, 2006, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by hihptsi
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,347 Posts
Discussion
Super Dimona 2400 thread.

i started building the super dimona 2400 ARF from Hobby-Lobby and am very impressed with the kit.its gonna make a beautiful scale airplane i went with the HL recommended setup with a few exceptions.

The setup

Axi 2820/10 Brushless moter
CC phoenix 45 speed controller
2 hitec HS322 servos on elevator and rudder
2 hitec HS65HB servos on aleirons
1 hitec HS56HB for the front wheel steering.
CC Berg 7P receiver
UBEC
3S 4000mah Lipos

ive been working on this for the past few days and have got allot done,i still have yet to install the Ubec but for the most part everything else is installed.as you can see from the pics i have small ferrite choke rings on everythng to help eliminate electrical noise form long servo wires.

the dimona uses CA hinges good thing is they do not come Glued in,i removed these cause im not a fan of CA hinges and replaced them with more robust Pinned hinges wich makes it allot stronger.aleirons were done this way as well,elevator is fine as is however.

the front wheel i modified to have its own steering Servo (HS56) instead of having it linked into the rudder servo,i did this to eliminate any sort of shock loads that might be transmitted into the rudder servo on landings wich will eliminate a possible rudder servo failure inflight.

i am using a MAS 10x6 3blade prop wich really looks nice on this!makes it look pretty darn scale i figure i still got a few days of work ahead of me before i am able to maiden it i have really been takeing my time on it to make sure everything is perfect and dialed in. i was also thinking about adding some sort of scale lighting.if anyone knows of some good scale lighting kits id love to hear about it.another thing i was thinking this thing would looks really nice as a taildragger but getting a servo in there to have a steerable tailwheel will be a challenge.ill keep this thread updated wit more pics etc as i progress with the build and post some videos etc when i maiden this beauty!
hihptsi is offline Find More Posts by hihptsi
Last edited by hihptsi; Dec 28, 2006 at 03:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,382 Posts
hihptsi,

I reviewed this one for Quiet Flyer magazine. Nice model, but the steerable nosewheel gave me fits. First, I tried connecting it to the rudder servo with one pushrod, per the instructions, but the nosewheel kept turning around 180 degrees on landing. There is a large sideload on the wheel, due to the way aft pivot axis behind the wheel axis.

Then, I tried using two arms, one on each side of the rudder arm, to each side of the tiller arm. Still, no luck keeping the nosewheel in position, and REALLY hard on the poor rudder servo. I was in the process of adding an additional dedicated servo in the tray, at body centerline, using a hi-torque beefy servo, when I finally decided I didn't want the weight hit and the hassles, so I just locked down the nosewheel. It doesn't swivel now, but at least it stays put.

Your HS56 servo is in for a workout. Just wanted to alert you to this turn-around propensity with the nosewheel, so you can watch for it. Have fun with your Super Dimona! Mine is still going strong.

Don Bailey

P.S. Be sure to check the hardwood nosewheel block glue joint. Several of us have had it break loose from the fuselage belly.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:47 PM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
hihptsi,

I reviewed this one for Quiet Flyer magazine. Nice model, but the steerable nosewheel gave me fits. First, I tried connecting it to the rudder servo with one pushrod, per the instructions, but the nosewheel kept turning around 180 degrees on landing. There is a large sideload on the wheel, due to the way aft pivot axis behind the wheel axis.

Then, I tried using two arms, one on each side of the rudder arm, to each side of the tiller arm. Still, no luck keeping the nosewheel in position, and REALLY hard on the poor rudder servo. I was in the process of adding an additional dedicated servo in the tray, at body centerline, using a hi-torque beefy servo, when I finally decided I didn't want the weight hit and the hassles, so I just locked down the nosewheel. It doesn't swivel now, but at least it stays put.

Your HS56 servo is in for a workout. Just wanted to alert you to this turn-around propensity with the nosewheel, so you can watch for it. Have fun with your Super Dimona! Mine is still going strong.

Don Bailey

thats don for the info!yes i noticed exactly what you are talking about with the nose wheel it does seem a lil flimsey for my tastes.and wouldent be surprised if it did turn around on me.i wou

P.S. Be sure to check the hardwood nosewheel block glue joint. Several of us have had it break loose from the fuselage belly.

thats don for the info!yes i noticed exactly what you are talking about with the nose wheel it does seem a lil flimsey for my tastes.and wouldent be surprised if it did turn around on me.i will keep my eye on it.my hardwood nosewheel block has been fiberglassed to the fuselage. looks pretty strong.

have a good one
Walter
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by kawika1kalina
Dave (a.k.a. Kawika)
Canada, MB, Division No. 1, Unorganized
Joined Jan 2006
346 Posts
That nose wheel turn around is a very real problem.

I tried to maiden mine Dec 28th. I was taxiing around on the lake for a while, to get a feal for it and to see how it would handle the skies, adding a little more speed to each pass and to see if it would lift on it's own. Well it did lift, but needed some adjustment so I brought it down and as soon as it touched down, there was an explosion of snow, tail went up, prop and spinner blew apart, and the battery went flying.

After close study I found the front ski twisted sideways and the plastic control arm broken on both sides.

So it's back to the shop, I'll try again in a couple of days.

Dave
kawika1kalina is offline Find More Posts by kawika1kalina
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:59 PM
Dave (a.k.a. Kawika)
Joined Jan 2006
346 Posts
Oh hay, Time to crack open the bottle,

HAPPY NEW YEAR :-)
Old Jan 01, 2007, 02:24 PM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika1kalina
Oh hay, Time to crack open the bottle,

HAPPY NEW YEAR :-)

ive been thinking about replacing the front Landing gear with that of a Dubro set with duel forks,they look like they have ones with cam steering and i think that would eliminate most of the wheel turning problem becuase of less mechanical leverage on the servo operating the front gear,wich means not as easy to turn around on you.

they sell them for about 20 dollars so i might just give it a try!
have a good one
Walter
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Tim Green
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
4,546 Posts
Can the nose wheel be mounted 180 deg in the opposite direction?
Or, if not, can a staight nose wheel be used?
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old May 08, 2008, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by pittster_s2a
Joined May 2008
15 Posts
I am getting ready to start the build on the Dimona.
And the question I have is this , Has anyone converted the plane over to the tail dragger version ??
If so please let me know where the gear came out at.
I just can't bring myself to make this plane a trike gear

Also Has anyone had a chance to thermal there Dimona ???? How well did she do..

Thanks for the help !
pittster_s2a is offline Find More Posts by pittster_s2a
Old May 10, 2008, 12:18 AM
Dave (a.k.a. Kawika)
Joined Jan 2006
346 Posts
Hello Pittster,

I changed mine to a tail-dragger, I moved the the gear up to the leading edge of the wing. Works great with skiis.

Here is a video I took in March.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844910

I can't say that I have had much luck getting this plane to ride a thermal, but then again, most of my flights were during the winter months.
However, she does glide nice and I've had a couple of 40 minute flights on a single charge with the 4000mah lipo batteries.

Anyway, goodluck with yours.
Dave
Old May 11, 2008, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by Tomokabear
My Soul is High
Fort Payne, AL
Joined Mar 2004
628 Posts
Pittster,
I converted mine to taildragger while building. I will see
if I have some pics to describe how I did it.
If I can't find them I will take some more.

Here is one shot I found so far.
Barry
Tomokabear is offline Find More Posts by Tomokabear
Old May 12, 2008, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by pittster_s2a
Joined May 2008
15 Posts
Thank,s Tomokabear !

Your Dimona looks great as a tail dragger !

Any info and pics that you can send to me will be a HUGE help to me..

Once again, thank's for the help & I"ll be looking for the pic's .
pittster_s2a is offline Find More Posts by pittster_s2a
Old May 12, 2008, 07:48 PM
My Soul is High
Fort Payne, AL
Joined Mar 2004
628 Posts
Pittster,
I could not locate my previous pics so I took some
this afternoon.

I located the landing gear just in front of the wing.
This was the most convenient location for the interior
supports required to carry the landing loads.
I used milled fiberglass in the 30 minute epoxy. I used
generous amount of the mix on all the contact areas
of the landing gear mount.

The slots in the fiberglass fuselage were cut with a
a diamond burr, a straight taper pointed one. It
works very well.
Tomokabear is offline Find More Posts by Tomokabear
Old May 12, 2008, 07:50 PM
My Soul is High
Fort Payne, AL
Joined Mar 2004