Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by YORK
Joined Jul 2016
12 Posts
Discussion
What is the best plane to start with?

Hey guys, I want to get into the hobby but I'm not sure what the best entry level plane is. I would likely be taking off from a soccer field nearly all the time if that helps. The price of the plane isn't too much of a concern. Thanks for any help!
YORK is offline Find More Posts by YORK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2016, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by fairplane
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Well, you are sure to get alot of options! And alot of questions. Foam airplanes are easiest to repair so start looking there. You can start with micro planes tolearn orientation and as they are lighter they break less during a crash. Look for high wing planes like a cub. 3 channel planes turn with a rudder and 4 channel use ailerons. Try to buy something with a decent radio so you can use it as you grow. The eflite apprentice or hobby zone super cub are great trainers but you should have somone helping you if you go that route. If you are learning by yourself the ulta micro planes like the sport cub or carbon cub. They have stabilization built in. Buy foam safe glue when you buy your plane as well. Welcome to the hobby, its great fun and you will meet alot of great people!

OTE=YORK;35321082]Hey guys, I want to get into the hobby but I'm n t sure what the best entry level plane is. I would likely be taking off from a soccer field nearly all the time if that helps. The price of the plane isn't too much of a concern. Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jul 23, 2016, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by mybad
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
880 Posts
This one will be very popular.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=HBZ5400

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2679985

Or this one

http://www.horizonhobby.com/sportsma...n-2%29-hbz8900

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2406296
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Last edited by mybad; Jul 23, 2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by YORK
Joined Jul 2016
12 Posts
Thanks for the help! Why would I need someone else if I chose the super cub or apprentice? Just curious.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
United States, WI, Racine
Joined Jan 2007
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YORK View Post
Thanks for the help! Why would I need someone else if I chose the super cub or apprentice? Just curious.
Why??

FYI, on the average a person flying an RC model for the first time, by him self will have a model whose life span will be measured in seconds.

One of those RC simulators will really help though. If at all possible, find a local club, and take advantage of their instructor program. Most RC clubs are looking for new members, and are more than willing to help. The radio control systems long have had "Trainer" functions where the instructor has the "Master" transmitter, and the newbie has the "Slave" transmitter. The instructor has control of the model on his master transmitter, and by pushing a button, he can transfer control of the model to the slave transmitter.

So, if the student gets into trouble, the instructor releases that button, and instantly regains control of the model. That saves a LOT of models during the learning process.

I don't know where you're located. But, in the USA, the AMA can locate near by RC clubs in your area by zipcode.

Ref:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Jul 23, 2016, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by mybad
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
880 Posts
I started with small helis, mcx2 msr and 120sr. They taught me orientation especially flying towards yourself. I did not have a simulator but it might have served the same purpose.

After several months, I bought my first plane. It was a Super Cub and I taught myself to fly. It was easy to fly but I heeded the advice of others and stuck to calmer days and used the largest field I could find. Taking off and flying were easy. Landing closer than 100 feet away was almost impossible. THAT is what really took practice. I had my share of crashes too.

No, you don't NEED someone to teach you to fly, but if you can find someone to help you at least once, it would be very worthwhile. Right now you know some stuff and you know there are things you don't know and have to learn. But there are other important things that you don't even know that you don't know.

Whatever plane you pick, read all you can about it. Learn from others' experiences.

Good luck and happy flying!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Jul 23, 2016, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by Tucci
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathd View Post
Why??

FYI, on the average a person flying an RC model for the first time, by him self will have a model whose life span will be measured in seconds.

One of those RC simulators will really help though. If at all possible, find a local club, and take advantage of their instructor program. Most RC clubs are looking for new members, and are more than willing to help. The radio control systems long have had "Trainer" functions where the instructor has the "Master" transmitter, and the newbie has the "Slave" transmitter. The instructor has control of the model on his master transmitter, and by pushing a button, he can transfer control of the model to the slave transmitter.

So, if the student gets into trouble, the instructor releases that button, and instantly regains control of the model. That saves a LOT of models during the learning process.

I don't know where you're located. But, in the USA, the AMA can locate near by RC clubs in your area by zipcode.

Ref:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
First of all I'm all for the buddy box method. Best way to learn, IMHO. But....

Have you actually flown the Apprentice S? In beginner mode, it is virtually impossible to crash. I tried to stall it in beginner mode. Not happening. The receiver just says " NO! You're not doing that today."
Landing is as simple as lining it up on the runway center line and chopping the throttle down to idle speed. It really does land itself.
I was fairly amazed. I never tried out the panic function for the fact that I could't get it out of shape enough where it would have been necessary. At least in beginner mode.....

Disclaimer: This is from an unabashed Apprentice fanboy, though I never owned an S model myself. Two non S versions. I did fly an S version several times, though. Based on my experience, the above statements are true!
Tucci is online now Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Jul 23, 2016, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Tucci
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
1,741 Posts
Here's my current Apprentice:
Tucci is online now Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Jul 23, 2016, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by YORK
Joined Jul 2016
12 Posts
That club finder was an awesome resource! I found a club in a town/city (it's small) 15 minutes away from me. I'll get into contact Monday and see if I could get someone to teach me. If I can I'll probably get the apprentice.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by andydallas
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Apr 2015
195 Posts
Apprentice is a GREAT first plane,,you will progress much faster getting someone to work with you
andydallas is offline Find More Posts by andydallas
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by twlanoy
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Nov 2015
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydallas View Post
Apprentice is a GREAT first plane,,you will progress much faster getting someone to work with you
This X10
twlanoy is offline Find More Posts by twlanoy
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by hazegry
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
I am learning on a sport cub s2 but the apprentice looks nice.
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by Motopilot
Joined Apr 2016
51 Posts
I started out with the apprentice about 3 months ago. So glad I did and was worth every penny. It's stable and easy to fly. Would recommend to anyone who is starting out. I used the SAFE a couple of times and could not be happier.

Start off slow and easy. Take your time and give yourself plenty of space enjoy and have fun
Motopilot is offline Find More Posts by Motopilot
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by twlanoy
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Nov 2015
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazegry View Post
I am learning on a sport cub s2 but the apprentice looks nice.
It is very nice and very stable. Doesn't take long to move to intermediate mode and then to advanced. IMPO the larger planes are much better to learn on as they are more visible and give you a much better margin for error.
twlanoy is offline Find More Posts by twlanoy
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
14,186 Posts
There are many easy to fly foam electric powered gliders flown by beginners. It is best to have an experienced flyer check yours out before first flight and get it in the air for you, set trims and let you get the feel of controlling it. It takes some stick time for you to get used to turning in the proper direction with model coming toward you vs away from you. Turn and look over your shoulder to turn when model is coming toward you until you get the feel of turning regardless of whether model is coming toward you or away from you.
Hand launching requires throwing model level with power on and climbing gradually to avoid stalling. Landing requires lining up to land and reducing power and letting glider settle to runway with little or no power. If you have access to a simulator, spend some time "flying" various types of models. Best to join AMA, register with FAA, and join a club that has instructors for beginners.

You second model should be a Piper Cub or other tail wheel high wing model. You should have an instructor to teach you how to take off , fly and land safely using coordinated throttle, rudder, ailerons and elevator controls. Once you have mastered a "tail-dragger" you may be ready for a warbird or other low wing design with tail-wheel. Learning to fly in a good club with good flying space, and flight control rules will help you progress quickly as a model flier with less disappointments.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jul 24, 2016 at 10:39 AM.