Old Dec 08, 2015, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
3,003 Posts
Discussion
Three abandoned 747s???

Oh, come on, how can nobody know who owns these big suckers?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/08/aviati...iref=obnetwork

The story says they've "changed hands several times", but somehow there's no record of who flew them in and parked them? How can that be?

I don't understand. These aren't old cars left sitting on a back street somewhere.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2015, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,682 Posts
They're in Malasia.

You're probably used to seeing abandoned jets jacked up and standing on bricks in Southern California
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 08, 2015, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Concordefan3
Joined Nov 2015
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
Oh, come on, how can nobody know who owns these big suckers?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/08/aviati...iref=obnetwork

The story says they've "changed hands several times", but somehow there's no record of who flew them in and parked them? How can that be?

I don't understand. These aren't old cars left sitting on a back street somewhere.
I said same this morning on FB group about these. They have "TF" registrations on them n those are usual Air Atlantic Icelandic company's!. so howcome they can't track who owns or owned them!!...In this day n age this doesn't add up....heck we found owner of SConnie TEG after it was abandoned hetein YYZ back in early 2000s after years of neglect...so how can't they fine for not 1 but 3 biggest airliners is unbelievable....
Concordefan3 is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan3
Last edited by Concordefan3; Dec 10, 2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2015, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
...You're probably used to seeing abandoned jets jacked up and standing on bricks in Southern California.
Oh, yeah, you leave an airliner on the street around here and first thing you know, somebody steals the tires off it.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Dec 09, 2015, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by BillzillaAus
My cat moderates better
Australia, QLD, Worongary
Joined Apr 2011
1,018 Posts
I had to have a bit of a laugh - those are the three I used to fly for Malaysian Cargo when I was based there. I was working for Air Atlanta Icelandic, contracted to MAS Cargo, and we lost the contract in 2008. The planes were handed back to the owner and I guess for whatever reason they never left there.
BillzillaAus is offline Find More Posts by BillzillaAus
Old Dec 10, 2015, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by mike_fish
airliner-rc.ru
Russian Federation, Mosk. oblast', Grigorchikovo
Joined Jul 2005
788 Posts
One is mine don't worry
mike_fish is offline Find More Posts by mike_fish
Old Dec 10, 2015, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by Concordefan3
Joined Nov 2015
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillzillaAus View Post
I had to have a bit of a laugh - those are the three I used to fly for Malaysian Cargo when I was based there. I was working for Air Atlanta Icelandic, contracted to MAS Cargo, and we lost the contract in 2008. The planes were handed back to the owner and I guess for whatever reason they never left there.
It's always great to see actual aviation pilots among as rc builders and pilots. Since you have past link with those dead jumbo, do you happen to know who owned them. I always thought Air Atlantic Icelandic are owners of their aircraft and lease them out to Airlines globally but for them to actually lease others aircraft is funny at a level.
Concordefan3 is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan3
Old Dec 10, 2015, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by BillzillaAus
My cat moderates better
Australia, QLD, Worongary
Joined Apr 2011
1,018 Posts
We did own a small number of our own planes but most were leased. The three in KL were certainly leased, I know ARH & ARJ were owned by someone in the UK.
I think ARH was due for a C or D check not too long after I left in late 2007 and they are very expensive, so perhaps that is one of the reasons why that one was left there. Not sure about the other two though. I don't know if the owner of them now is the same owner as when we operated them.
It is very strange to just have left them there though, they would have been worth far more in part value back in 2008 than they are now.
BillzillaAus is offline Find More Posts by BillzillaAus
Old Dec 11, 2015, 02:10 AM
Find More Posts by CV12Steve
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2014
1,063 Posts
A year or so ago they were auctioning off another group of planes, including three DC 3's and a Super Connie.
CV12Steve is offline Find More Posts by CV12Steve