Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by sgtmac
Joined Jul 2015
22 Posts
Discussion
75mh transmitters still available?

Just joined the group and I was wondering about suitable radios for submarine use. There used to be a number of 75mh transmitters available about 10 or more years ago but apparently no one makes them any more. So what do the bubbleheads use these days? My sub project-a 1/48th scale SSY fleet boat, the USS TANG, SS-306.
Thanks.
sgtmac is offline Find More Posts by sgtmac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2015, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by ephar
Joined Jul 2015
10 Posts
I've got a VEX 75 mhz system. The receiver system is wacky compared to std hobby systems, you'll need to decode it yourself with an arduino (I use teensy 3.0) or use the VEX signal splitter to get standard servo outputs.
http://www.vexrobotics.com/wiki/VEX_...Crystal_Radios
http://www.vexrobotics.com/wiki/VEX_Signal_Splitter
ephar is offline Find More Posts by ephar
Old Jul 18, 2015, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by txt killer
Joined Apr 2008
2,313 Posts
You can still buy 75 MHZ radios today ? Go to Ebay and you will find lots. Unless you want 2.4 which is new today.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Jul 18, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by sgtmac
Joined Jul 2015
22 Posts
75mh?

I have been checking ebay on a weekly basis but so far it seems the few transmitters around are 72mh and not 75. Lots of 2.4 though...
sgtmac is offline Find More Posts by sgtmac
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by tsenecal
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,964 Posts
sgtmac,

two alternative routes to take:

1) buy a 72mhz transmitter and receiver, then send it to a shop called "Radio South" and have Tony retune it to 75mhz. http://www.radiosouthrc.com/

2) if you are willing to test for a HAM technicians license, there are alternatives to 75mhz

http://subcommittee.com/forum/showth...egatta-Seminar)
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by schutzen
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Feb 2015
22 Posts
As Thor said in another thread, Tower hobbies has a 4 channel Futaba transmitter in 75Mhz. It is a crystal type and $139 with shipping is not cheap but it is available.
schutzen is offline Find More Posts by schutzen
Old Jul 31, 2015, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by bigkim100
Joined May 2013
47 Posts
I purchase 75mhz systems on ebay at least once a month. Recently picked up a futaba fully synthesized receiver. Over the past year, I have amassed many receivers and transmitters...just picked up a absolutely brand new, never used Futaba 4 channel unit, for a more basic sub Im building.
I don't think you are really looking very hard overall.
bigkim100 is offline Find More Posts by bigkim100
Old Jul 31, 2015, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
528 Posts
When I needed a 75mhz transmitter, I looked on e-bay two or three times a day.

I would find Tx that had sold and then looked to see if the seller had more in his e-bay store.

I missed on I bid on because, I didn't have PayPal. (still don't)

I contacted the seller I lost the bid with and explained I didn't have PP.
I told him I could pay by card or I would send Postal Money order.
After a back and forth messaging, he said he would accept PO money order.
He happen to have two other Tx the same as the one I didn't get. Futaba 9 Cap.

I said I would be willing to pay the same as the one I lost. He accepted and with in two weeks from my first look on e-bay, I had a transmitter in hand.

Finding a 75hmz module to replace the 72mhz that came with the Tx was a different story. I looked several months and then I was saved by a well known builder and tester on the sub forums, who offered a module.

I know he is reading this thread ... (Thanks so much!)

The point is, once a week may not get you what you want.
The few Tx I bid on required me to sit and watch the item the last hour until the bid closed. Then it required extra effort to contact sellers and ask if they would help. It was worth it.
Cliff Hanger is online now Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Jul 31, 2015, 02:25 PM
Joined May 2013
47 Posts
Im not certain why you have such a fear of using PayPal. I have over 800 purchases using Paypal, and not one has gone bad....Paypal also has a new function that does not actually take money out of your account until you have actually received the item you purchased,. I much prefer it to using a Credit card , and its high interest rates, as well as fraud.
I also use PayPal to may many monthly bills...specifically Netficks
As far as the death of 75mhz...nothing could be further from the truth. WFLY offers a really nice, as well as inexpensive radio system...find out more about it on the sub drivers forum.
As was mentioned earlier, there are companies that will retune most Futaba Radios to 75mhz, and Futaba actually offers this service as well, at a really fair price. Call them to find out the best radios for retuning, they are more than happy to offer you a list, as well as prices for the service.
So you don't really have to sit and patrol ebay on a daily basis...there are options.
Last edited by bigkim100; Jul 31, 2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: sp
Old Jul 31, 2015, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2013
47 Posts
$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephar View Post
I've got a VEX 75 mhz system. The receiver system is wacky compared to std hobby systems, you'll need to decode it yourself with an arduino (I use teensy 3.0) or use the VEX signal splitter to get standard servo outputs.
http://www.vexrobotics.com/wiki/VEX_...Crystal_Radios
http://www.vexrobotics.com/wiki/VEX_Signal_Splitter
This a VERY EXPENSIVE , CLUNKY, and power-hungry way to do things, when dedicated 75mhz systems are so readily available
There is a reason that Futaba has been around pretty much since the dawn of amateur radio control, and is still the system of choice for most advanced modellers
Last edited by bigkim100; Jul 31, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 02:42 PM
Joined May 2013
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
You can still buy 75 MHZ radios today ? Go to Ebay and you will find lots. Unless you want 2.4 which is new today.
any of the giga-ranges simply wont work with subs....the lower the frequency, the better the range when it comes to under-water stuff
Old Aug 08, 2015, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by ephar
Joined Jul 2015
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkim100 View Post
This a VERY EXPENSIVE , CLUNKY, and power-hungry way to do things, when dedicated 75mhz systems are so readily available
There is a reason that Futaba has been around pretty much since the dawn of amateur radio control, and is still the system of choice for most advanced modellers
Actually if you're into the programming thing the VEX and arduino/teensy platform allows you to integrate fail-safes, gyro and compass controls, depth sensors, loss of radio signals, cameras and other trinkets into both your transmitter and receiver. The Teensy or Arduino can easily control multiple servos with a decent BEC. A C++ programming and electronics background is required though.
My current radio system is <$200 and includes VEX Tx & Rx, 6 crystals, Teensy 3.0, Pressure (depth) sensor and Compass/Gyro and LVCO.
ephar is offline Find More Posts by ephar
Last edited by ephar; Aug 08, 2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2015, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by CheapSub
brooklyn
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
you could try the alternative 433Mhz system little more work but much more cheaper.
CheapSub is offline Find More Posts by CheapSub
Old Aug 08, 2015, 01:32 PM
Joined May 2013
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapSub View Post
you could try the alternative 433Mhz system little more work but much more cheaper.
Again, as mentioned earlier 433 really doesnt penetrate water,,if the antenna is below the waterline...if its kept above then its useful
Old Aug 08, 2015, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by ThorDesign
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
295 Posts
433 works just fine in the water. 2.4 ghz does not.
ThorDesign is offline Find More Posts by ThorDesign