New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2014, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by WarCowboy
United States, VA, Greenville
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
Cool
Dollar Store ( Fokker D.VII ) scratch build

So I decided to try this dollar store foam out to see how it works out.
I went with the Fokker D.VII for a nice looking slow flyer intended for a 1380KV 24 gram outrunner.
So far if I am honest, I will tell you I don't like the foam vs Elmers foam board, or better yet, true depron.
The paper front and back is near impossible to get off without spending loads of time hand rubbing it off. I have tried every method possible I think to attempt to make it easier. I tried rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, and hot water with a shower head. The only way I could get it to work was to keep it wet with hot water and scrub the out of it with a scotch pad.
Besides that ordeal, the dollar store brand foam is also less dense and has a washboard grain wave to it that you have to work with also.
The wave to is was sort of cool for this project however, as when I cut the wing halves I took this into account and cut them against the grain, which left me with a scale looking wing that sort of mimics the fabric droop in-between would be ribs.

While the wings are a simple under camber type, the air frame has functional ailerons and will use individual servos to allow for differential. Hopefully that will eliminate tail drag into the corners.
Anyhow I will post more as I get along with the build, but here is what I have so far.

The end scheme I chose is that of Ernst Udet's LO! D.VII.
I realize its sort of over done with the D.VII but the fact is he was my favorite WW1 pilot and the scheme is one of the most beautiful that allows the lack of the difficult Lozenge camouflage pattern being a must in such a way it cannot be avoided.

Comments and suggestions welcome!
WarCowboy is offline Find More Posts by WarCowboy
Last edited by WarCowboy; Oct 10, 2014 at 07:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2014, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by compressor man
Professional tree finder
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
268 Posts
Looking great Cowboy, I love the DVII, Next time you buy DTF soak both sides with water and then just let it completely dry. You can then effortlessly pull the paper off whenever you get ready to.

Chris
compressor man is offline Find More Posts by compressor man
Old Oct 10, 2014, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor man View Post
Looking great Cowboy, I love the DVII, Next time you buy DTF soak both sides with water and then just let it completely dry. You can then effortlessly pull the paper off whenever you get ready to.

Chris
I tried that, but maybe it wasn't completely dry. I will attempt it once more and see how it does. Thanks for the comment and suggestion.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by jjstanley
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
Every sheet I have gotten from Dollar Tree is made by Adams and the paper peels awesome. I noticed that you said dollar store not Dollar Tree. Was that just casual typing or was it a dollar store other than Dollar Tree. I have bought foam board from The Dollar Store and it was junk. I could not get the paper off and it was very brittle.
jjstanley is offline Find More Posts by jjstanley
Old Oct 10, 2014, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by old foamie
old foamie
Joined Oct 2007
713 Posts
Looks great so far , keep it up.
old foamie is offline Find More Posts by old foamie
Old Oct 11, 2014, 01:07 AM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstanley View Post
Every sheet I have gotten from Dollar Tree is made by Adams and the paper peels awesome. I noticed that you said dollar store not Dollar Tree. Was that just casual typing or was it a dollar store other than Dollar Tree. I have bought foam board from The Dollar Store and it was junk. I could not get the paper off and it was very brittle.
Yeah, I did buy it from the dollar store, so I had to learn the hard way. I will definitely buy dollar tree next time.
But on another note, I did take the advise above about letting it completely dry and that seemed to do the trick for peeling. So thanks for the correct way on that one "compressor man".

Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie View Post
Looks great so far , keep it up.
Will do! I should have some more done on the fuse tonight
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
As promised, here is a couple pics of the covered tail section and removable cockpit hatch.
Next will be the cowling hatch, dummy engine and shaping the front cowling. Everything will be held in place via small neodymium magnets once shaped out.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by caveeagle
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Dec 2010
195 Posts
Nice job! I will eventually build something like this.

Definately use foam from Dollar Tree! Usually, I can just peel the paper off. Worst case, just spray it down with water (a mister works well), and peel it off when it dries. I have built several planes with it, and like it a lot.
caveeagle is offline Find More Posts by caveeagle
Old Oct 11, 2014, 06:18 PM
Professional tree finder
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
268 Posts
WarCowboy, I am following your build having long wanted a DVII of my own. Are you building this from plans?

Chris
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:21 AM
Find More Posts by congtiaije
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
have bought foam board from The Dollar Store and it was junk. I could not get the paper off and it was very brittle.
congtiaije is offline Find More Posts by congtiaije
Old Oct 12, 2014, 04:21 AM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
Yes I agree with you all about the dollar store foam. Its just not quality by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor man View Post
WarCowboy, I am following your build having long wanted a DVII of my own. Are you building this from plans?

Chris
Sort of.... I have a strange method that I always do well with when I build a plane.
I draw my own partial plans based on scale drawings so I can get the main cuts as accurate as possible, like fuselage sides, top, bottom and formers, then on to the horizontal and vertical stabs and wings. I also at this time integrate my panel lines into the drawings so I can get those on squarely as well.
I then print the plan the size I want it, tape it all together, and then I cut the entire thing out from the paper. I trace those parts onto the foam.
Once I have the foam cut out I start to square the parts to one another.
It is once I have the basic frame built that I start to come up with ways to make things work like the hatches and internal braces, motor, servo, battery mount etc...
If I was to actually make a true plan for this plane, I would need to finish it first then come back on to my drawing program and edit in all the things I either changed or added into the set.
I'll send you a rough set if you like, or you can wait till I get done and I will see what I can do about making things more clear. Let me know
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:24 AM
Professional tree finder
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCowboy View Post
I'll send you a rough set if you like, or you can wait till I get done and I will see what I can do about making things more clear. Let me know
Thanks for that but please dont go to the trouble. I have a handful of plans for this plane and I was just hoping that you were building from one of them. That way, I could see how those plans worked out...or didnt

Chris
Old Oct 12, 2014, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
Its no trouble really, but I am sure you will have no issues using other plan sets.
I would like to start doing some video tutorials on things I do and the methods I use for some of them. I am working on the plane more today and hopefully I will have more to post on later. If I can help with anything on your fokker build just post up and I will see what I can do for ya.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,741 Posts
WCB, if the paper is not totally dry, it leaves about a 1/4 of the thickness behind in long torn daggers. You will spend more time cleaning it then building with it. It is it's own animal. I have messed with it for a while now. I had one batch that did not sand worth pig mud. It would just tear little pieces and roll into balls leaving furrows all over the place.

I found it is more flexy then the Elmers or other high grade stuff. I have 4 sheets of the real stuff I have not used. I have held onto it for 5 years. I am just waiting for that foamy plane I think deserves it. I was close but did not build the plane.

After some carbon rods, strips, tape, it is well worth the dollar a sheet. I have had more fun flying and crashing then I have in a long time.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Oct 13, 2014, 03:33 AM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
I hear ya. I like the money difference for sure, but a few times through the build so far I can also admit you get what you pay for. I have already found that this build needed a few actual depron pieces to make a few parts that the cheap stuff just couldn't muster, such as anything needing a good bow or arch.