Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
Joined Aug 2013
371 Posts
Build Log
Chesapeake Bay Ram Schooner, 1/24 scale, RC, scratch built

I am posting my work as a THANK YOU to all of you who have contributed to SCALE SAILBOATS over the last two years. Your words, pictures, and video have been an inspiration. After a 20 year hiatus, reading this forum brought me back into activity. Yes, I have been lurking for two years!

I enjoy Chesapeake Bay craft and esoteric projects. If I only built one more RC model, I wanted to build one bigger than my 1/24 scale, five foot long, War of 1812 privateer schooner (yes, I also built a British prize to capture).

A year and a half ago, I decided to build a Chesapeake Bay Ram Schooner in1/24 scale with RC. This model came out to be about six and half foot long, a little under a foot wide, and takes fifty pounds to get her down to her load water line.

She is built with scrap pine ripped to needed dimensions, plank on frame, with epoxy on the inside of the hull. There is also a two foot long twenty-five pound false keel that attaches to the hull for sailing. I tried to make everything to scale. However, I had to make the rig break down and the hull light enough for car travel.

Two weeks ago the model had her maiden voyage at the Task Force 50 Regatta on Lake Redman in York, Pa. She did not sink! AND, there were icebergs!! In fact, she came back dry. This was a blessing since I threw in the RC gear the night before with no water proofing. Now, I can add scale details to the deck without the fear that only the fish would see them.

Thanks again for your efforts!
Gammon Iron is offline Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2013
371 Posts
More pictures with details

Two weeks ago the model had its maiden voyage at Task Force 50 Regatta.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by Aerominded
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,166 Posts
Neat ship! Welcome back to a great hobby!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:34 AM
Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,753 Posts
Very nice build, looks great.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by JerryTodd
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,966 Posts
I love the scruffy old Bay boats
So, you're in PA?
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Aug 28, 2013, 06:57 AM
Joined Aug 2013
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
I love the scruffy old Bay boats
So, you're in PA?
Yup. I'm a fan of boats that are built and used locally. The Chesapeake Bay promoted quite a variety of craft. A few had their lines were taken off or ended up in museums. Also a fan of the citizen sailors that became the community invested patriotic privateersman...much maligned by naval historians.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,667 Posts
Any photos of video of your schooner on the water? Very nicely done, neat model, thanks for the history page too.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:06 AM
Joined Aug 2013
371 Posts
Photos, video, and wind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Any photos of video of your schooner on the water? Very nicely done, neat model, thanks for the history page too.
There were several other people taking photos. But, no one else has posted.

I was too nervous about sailing her for the first time to remember to hand my phone off for someone to take video. I have another regatta coming up on Sept. 7th. Will definitely have video then.

In regards to sailing characteristics, I'm glad of the oversized rudder...three times the actual. I did this to control the boat in scale-effect winds. Years ago, I watched from the shore as my RC sailboat, with scale rudder, would not turn until the winds moderated. However, I can also use the big rudder to scull the boat in calms. At Task Force 50, I was launched into a calm/slight wind off a lee shore into a dead calm section of the lake. I caught a little wind but not enough to tack. Before heading into the weeds, I sculled around to tack and headed for better wind!
Old Sep 04, 2013, 08:42 AM
Joined Aug 2013
371 Posts
More on the yawl boat AND SAILING PHOTOS

It is taking forever to build the yawl boat...a holiday weekend did not help. I did work on the canvas for the hatch covers.

Also, I received some photos of the boat sailing at the recent Task Force 50 regatta! Due to the light breeze, I kept her half ballasted. It takes another 25 pounds to bring her down to her load water line. Sure, I would have liked to have seen her in a stiff breeze for the photos. But, a calm day was safer for a maiden voyage.