SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2015, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
18,088 Posts
You didn't wait for an answer! But that is OK, we have all been there with an unflown airplane that needs to be tested.

For the book, a thrust to weight of 0.33:1 is usually enough to fly a trainer like the BB. So the 8 oz. of thrust would fly a 24 oz. plane nicely. 0.5:1 is good for sports flying and basic aerobatic maneuvers.

Holding a plane vertical and finding the throttle setting that just makes it weightless in your hand is a good way to find a good throttle setting for a hand launch. That will usually give you enough power that a gentle, full arm stroke push will get it off and flying level. Unless of course you're not sure how the trim is and whether or not it will fly.

Good luck with it and welcome to the hobby if you're new to it!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2015, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by Isaac96
United States, CA, St Helena
Joined Aug 2015
11 Posts
I am not quite new, I made a Maker Trainer 2. It was mostly a failure, 6 rebuilds. I am using the parts from it.

The airplane has a quirk. With the 3S battery, it will not fly unless I stand on a embankment. I just need better reflexes.
Isaac96 is online now Find More Posts by Isaac96
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:14 AM
Joined Aug 2015
11 Posts
Hi.
What motor/esc/prop should I use for a 60in BB? I will make it out of Dollar Tree foam. Should I double up the wing?

I already have a 1400kv Blue Wonder, a 24 gram Hextronix 1300kv, 2 APC 8x3.8, and a 18A ESC.
I am going for cheapest possible, and I do not need to carry anything.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:54 AM
Joined Aug 2015
11 Posts
Tony says on page 1 that the BP21 will work. Would it be okay with a 8x3.8 and 18A ESC?
Also, where are the 60" plans?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2015
11 Posts
Here is a video with 8x3.8 prop, 1400kv Blue Wonder, 33in, 3S. IT can go straight up at 2/3 throttle!
(Sorry, having trouble attaching the video. Will post soon.)

Can someone tell me how to attach a video? It is 37 megs and is over the limit.
Last edited by Isaac96; Aug 27, 2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added video
Old Aug 27, 2015, 08:16 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
18,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac96 View Post
Tony says on page 1 that the BP21 will work. Would it be okay with a 8x3.8 and 18A ESC?
Also, where are the 60" plans?
Look through posts #1 and #2 here and you'll find links to those pland, and bookmark the page if you think you want to see it again:

** Tony65x55 ** planes and plans. - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997484

It is not a sticky thread and it does not get any posts but it is a gold mine of info for KFm wing builds:

Jack
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:25 PM
Joined Aug 2015
11 Posts
Thanks, Jack. I found the plans. What about 2S or 3S with a GWS 9050 prop and the FC 28-22 1200kv motor? I think that was recommended somewhere.
EDIT Actually, it was in the link you posted. Thanks again!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:44 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
18,088 Posts
Quote:
Here is a video with 8x3.8 prop, 1400kv Blue Wonder, 33in, 3S. IT can go straight up at 2/3 throttle!
(Sorry, having trouble attaching the video. Will post soon.)

Can someone tell me how to attach a video? It is 37 megs and is over the limit.
Can you upload it to YouTube or another of the video hosting services? If so, that is the most often used method as the videos themselves are too large to be stored here. Then just paste a link to the video into a post.

For more options and info on what you can upload click on the Go Advanced button below the Quick Reply box and that opens a lot of options up.

Below the post editing windows is a link to "Drag Files Here or Click to Browse" and that is where you put attachments and edit the captions for each one. And below that you can get a list of file types that are supported for being attachments.

For the most part, using the Go Advanced posting menus is the best way to work because you have full access to Smilies and things like that.

On attachments, especially images, it is not a good idea to post raw images right off of a camera as they are too large. I use irfanview to crop, resize, and add comments to images most of the time. And by attaching the images your posts here makes them a permanent addition to the info and history. I think every image I have ever posted here is still available.. And if you want to see them all go to my blog page and click on the Show all attachments link. Not that they are all worth looking at of course.

Jack
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:50 AM
Joined Aug 2015
11 Posts
I will try to upload it to Dropbox.
Will it help to zip it?
It is a QuickTime movie and is high-resolution. Is it possible to crop it?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 07:51 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
18,088 Posts
Quote:
I will try to upload it to Dropbox.
Will it help to zip it?
It is a QuickTime movie and is high-resolution. Is it possible to crop it?
People will have to download and then unzip it, and from the size of it it might be somewhat tedious to watch it. That sounds harsh but it is a reality.

As much as I dislike what YouTube has become with the advertising and all if you post it there, accepting some loss of quality, it will be viewed with more interest and by more people.

Google for "quicktime movie youtube upload" or something similar and you'll find all the info you could want on using that.

Vimeo might be another option, it is ad free still as far as I know and they have a basic service that is free.

Jack