SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2015, 03:48 AM
Find More Posts by kosmarnik
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Discussion
What cheapish 1755 CF props to get? (Tarot vs RC-timer)

I'm shopping for props for my Tarot 650 X8.
The budget is a bit tight, so looking for props in the <$25/pair range.

I've read some mixed reviews of RC-Timer props, but I see that a lot of people are using them.
How about Tarot, they're a bit more expensive, but I didn't find much about their performance.

Is there any other brand I should be considering?

Thanks!
kosmarnik is offline Find More Posts by kosmarnik
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2015, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by PatR
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
2,159 Posts
Foxtech
PatR is online now Find More Posts by PatR
Old Aug 18, 2015, 07:27 AM
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR View Post
Foxtech
Thanks!
Regarding the model, 1755 mkii $22 seem nice, but these 1755 mkii mate $13 are so much cheaper.

Any idea if the difference is worth it?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by PatR
Joined May 2014
2,159 Posts
What cheapish 1755 CF props to get? (Tarot vs RC-timer)

Generally you get what you pay for. With the cheaper props you'll end up doing more balancing. A few may be too far out to balance without adding a lot of weight. Avoid sanding carbon MR props.

Finish will not be as good with the cheap props. The gloss layer may have blemishes, if they have gloss at all.

Mounting holes will not be cleanly drilled, having rough hole edges and fibers protruding into the holes.

The last is blade flexibility. As the price goes down the flexibility goes up. You want the least blade flex you can have. Weak blades generate vibration that you will never get rid of until you upgrade the props.

Ultimately you can have cheap or high quality, but not both. You're better off to step up in price. In the long run you're better off buying a good product once instead of dealing with fixing problems and buying more props later. Buy an extra set of whatever you get. You'll have spares for when you break one and you'll save on the shipping cost.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 05:53 AM
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR View Post
Generally you get what you pay for.
Ultimately you can have cheap or high quality, but not both. You're better off to step up in price. In the long run you're better off buying a good product once instead of dealing with fixing problems and buying more props later. Buy an extra set of whatever you get. You'll have spares for when you break one and you'll save on the shipping cost.
Thanks.
I went for the FoxTech mkII $23/pair. Hopefully they will turn out balanced.
If not, I have the dubro tru-spin comming my way and will tackle the balancing myself my self.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by PatR
Joined May 2014
2,159 Posts
I'm using those in a 15" size. They work but could be better. Every one of them had deep sanding gouges on the back of the blades where a factory worker had tried to balance them. None of them were in balance. I used tape strips and thin CA to add weight instead of remove weight. A clear coat spray would also be effective but takes longer to do.