New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2015, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
588 Posts
Help!
Painting Funkey Fuselage - What To Use?

Hello all, for my next build I'm planning to buy an unpainted Funkey fuselage and paint it myself. I'm still undecided if I want to stick with another 550 or make the jump to a 600. I've done some airbrush work in the past but I am far from being an artist. I've mostly used automotive based paints and processes but this paint is quite expensive and buying it in smaller quantities is sometimes not an option.

I was wondering what everyone is using these days as far as paint? What brands should I research? Are they water based paints? How are they thinned and what is used for clean up? I don't need a paint that is fuel proof as this will be an electric heli.

I was also wondering if anyone has ever clear coated over Monokote or Coverite trim tape. This is the self adhesive color sheeting usually sold in 36" lengths by about 4" wide. It would appear that one could use this for striping over a base coat followed by a clearcoat. Its very thin and forms nicely to a curve. Just to clarify, I would be using an airbrush to apply the paint and clearcoat. I have a decent airbrush set up that works quite nicely and is capable of far more than what my talents are with it.

Any help on paint selection would be a great help.
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2015, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by krc59diesel
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2013
47 Posts
i bought a pre-painted fuselage but had to actually extend the tail section because the mechanics were about 3 inches too long. after making the section i went to smyth auto parts to their paint department. they color matched the paint and mixed it up and put the base color into an aerosol can. then i bought a can of clear coat to put on next and it turned out great. i think the total cost of paint and clear was around $35. of course i have plenty left. im sure that is enough to do a whole fuselage. just an option, and automotive paint will definitely have the gloss and durability.
krc59diesel is online now Find More Posts by krc59diesel
Old Aug 09, 2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krc59diesel View Post
i bought a pre-painted fuselage but had to actually extend the tail section because the mechanics were about 3 inches too long. after making the section i went to smyth auto parts to their paint department. they color matched the paint and mixed it up and put the base color into an aerosol can. then i bought a can of clear coat to put on next and it turned out great. i think the total cost of paint and clear was around $35. of course i have plenty left. im sure that is enough to do a whole fuselage. just an option, and automotive paint will definitely have the gloss and durability.
Thanks for the reply. I've heard good things about the color matched paints and the convenience of putting them into aerosol. I've considered this option as well. Something to think about I suppose. However I really like the results I get from from airbrush.

This is an option, thanks again for the reply.
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44