Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by gator
Gator's here to see you:)
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Sep 2002
431 Posts
Discussion
Eastern U.S. Slope Site Locations and Descriptions <<UPDATED W LINKS>>

**Newly compiled list of resources in 1st post along with links to other East Coast Threads.** 8-6-15

It seems like all of the popular slope flying is done out West but there has to be more than a few slope soaring sites on the eastern side of the big divide. I understand we'll fly on just about anything in the East but maybe you know about a particular spot that works better than the side of a Walmart, an abandoned warehouse roof, or by the local LION rescue center.

In the hopes of creating a resource to point out where the right-coast slopers might congregate to enjoy soaring please share any slope locations you've flown or think might have potential.

Add info as you wish but some relevant input might be:
  • State and nearest large town/city
  • Access and specific parking info
  • Brief description of the site
  • Prevailing conditions and ideal weather scenario
  • Is it: Club site/ open use/ limited access/ posted but too fun to ignore/ run for your life if the cops show up
  • Be aware of.........

Not many rules on listing a site except to add your input and let those who seek it out feel free to give their objective assessment or comment about anything they found that might have changed. If you visit a new site please be considerate of the local limits to avoid causing complications for future access. Unless otherwise noted this isn't a list of sites where powered flight is generally accepted.

I'd hope to find a few sites that are worth traveling to in an upcoming month long run up to Maine and back so please feel free to share for everyone's future use too.

Links to other threads discussing Eastern U.S. sites. Many are filled with addl data, some of which may or may not be outdated:

A few key resources/links to start with:

>> http://www.slopeflyer.com/soaring/flying-sites/

>> http://www.slople.com/

>> http://flymorningside.kittyhawk.com/ Possible slope flying with limits at Paragliding playground for grown ups. Looks like an incredible spot in Charleston, NH.

>> Older (2007) New England sites thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619164

>>Newer (2012) NE sites thread. Excellent links by Dave Garwood in post #18: http://www.slopeflyer.com/soaring/flying-sites/

>> Cape Cod thread from 2012 : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...cape+cod+slope

Thanks, Mike
gator is offline Find More Posts by gator
Last edited by gator; Aug 06, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by gator
Joined Sep 2002
431 Posts
I don't have much to add in SW Fl but I'll add my VERY marginal local site.

***In Sarasota, Fl at a county park called the Celery Field hill.

***Near I-75 at exit 210 The 70' tall hill is visible about 1-2mi SE of the intersection.

***It's a 70' tall x 1400' long grass covered pile of toxic dirt stretching N/S that's now called a county park with walking trails so flying access is somewhat discouraged by a local park attendant who occasionally drives by but may look the other way if you aren't causing an issue or flying giant gliders. NO POWERED PLANES. Proximity to a rural heli pad on N side limits altitude and needs discernment.

***Westerly wind is preferred but the N and E sides are usable if needed. S is avoided due to the proximity to a busy parking lot. There are numerous palms on top, and a few 6' pines have been planted on the sides but they're sparse.

*** As mentioned, it's a loosely posted site so keep a low profile and be alert to avoid hassles for future users.

***......As if that's not enough...... don't try to retrieve a fly away too far east as there is a very active LION and TIGER rescue next door.... Feeding time is chilling when they start to roar for dinner.

Hey I told you we were desperate......
Mike
Last edited by gator; Jul 31, 2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by gator
Joined Sep 2002
431 Posts
Here's a club site or two I'd heard about that slope fly in Pompano Beach Fl,

http://www.phflyers.com/

....and another in Davie Fl. NW of Miami

http://www.vistaviewflyers.org/

I've heard rumors that the dike around Lake Okeechobee has potential sites but I haven't seen anything I'd fly without expecting a reptile problem....... and that's coming from a guy who's altogether too comfortable with gators.
Last edited by gator; Aug 06, 2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,907 Posts
Cape Cod

Mike are you familiar with the www.slople.com site? It's a worldwide slope database website set up by a guy in Switzerland. Information is by user-submitted reports. It can be a bit odd to navigate; there are buttons to filter by rc glider sites vs. hang/para-gliding sites but you have to try either or both filters to see everything in a given area. I'm afraid you'll find a lot of blank space in the east. People need to log on and start listing their local slopes if it's going to grow and become the useful tool it could be. I'm guilty of not adding my local sites yet, but honestly I don't think anyone would want to fly these pathetic little slopes.

As I mentioned in the Zulu thread if you're driving up the east coast you should make a stop at Cape Cod, especially if you can do it after Labor Day when the beach-going throngs thin out. There are excellent big-dune slopes (50' - 100'+) for east or west winds. There is a Cape Cod thread going that will give you the basic where and when info, and you'll find Slople pretty helpful too.

The main sites for east winds are in the town of Wellfleet: McGuires Landing (aka LeCount Hollow), Whitecrest Beach, and Beachcomber (aka Cahoon Hollow). All can be flown from the top. If it's more northeast there are other sites further north....some may require flying from the beach rather than the top.

For west or southwest wind there is Duck Harbor, also in Wellfleet.
(there is no harbor, and not typically any ducks either :-)
Big dunes accessed by a 10 minute hike south from the beach parking lot.

All these sites can be located by punching the names into google maps.

PM me, and post on the Cape Cod thread if you're coming. I'll be there a few times this fall. Jan C. is the most active local Cape flyer and can point you in the right direction too....he's been flying there a lot longer than I have.

- Jim
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Last edited by JimZinVT; Jul 30, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by gator
Joined Sep 2002
431 Posts
Jim. That free slope database site has plenty of potential but you're right about the east coast and user input. Aside from a couple spots in SC and those on the Cape it's pretty stark. Even Kitty Hawk NC is left off the list and I know there's dunes around there that work on a good seabreeze.

As an old surf rat, we knew every break from here to east Jesus and knew who to call to check local conditions. Today it's even easier with website postings and the community sharing weather/wave info in real-time. I'm surprised that there isn't a more complete slope database but maybe slope soaring is just a tiny niche sport after all.

Maybe a search of RC/Glider clubs in the East will turn up a few leads too. Here's hoping that some encouragement will get the locals to post sites they've flown or are near where they live.

Possibly Western state slope envy? I'm sure the Appalachians have potential sites. What about all the TVA dam sites, local dikes, dunes or even smaller quarry sites . Nothing?.....

Post 'em if you got 'em.

Thanks, Mike
Old Aug 02, 2015, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by gator
Joined Sep 2002
431 Posts
..... and then I got to the back of the latest (aug '15) edition of the AMA Model Aviation mag on pg #111 to find an article by Dave Garwood titled "Dream trip: Fly 10 slope soaring sites in the east" ! That's good timing. It's filled with resources and site descriptions. Nicely done, and the list expands.....

They were listed as:

>> White Crest Beach, Wellfleet Mass
>> Deer Island, Boston Mass
>> Mount Greylock, North Adams Mass
>> Petersburg Pass, Petersburg NY
>> Sterling Bluffs, Lake Ontario Sterling, NY
>> Perry Park, Lake Erie, Perry OH
>> Indiana Dunes, Lake Mich, IN
>>Brooksville Lake dam IN
>> Coronado Hts, Lindsborg KS
>> Lucas Park, Wilson Lake, Lucas KS
Last edited by gator; Aug 06, 2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 01:06 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,907 Posts
They're stretching the definition of East a bit aren't they?

I've been curious about Mount Greylock, it's about 2 hours from here. But that's a big hang gliding site so you'll have some competition for airtime there.
Old Aug 03, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by MA Slope Soaring
MA slope soaring column
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Where the east ends and the west begins

>They're stretching the definition of East a bit aren't they?

Ha ha. Every place is east of some place, right?
These 10 are all east of the geographic center point of the 48 states.

There has been lots of interest in this column topic. Now I'm thinking
of a second dream trip column - from Lebanon KS west thru Wyoming
and Utah to San Diego and up the Pacific Coast Highway.

> I've been curious about Mount Greylock, it's about 2 hours from here.
> But that's a big hang gliding site

We can fly successfully with hang gliders -
Give them clearance and the right of way,
Talk to them first, let them know we know
this and will look out for their safety.

Only problem at Greylock, SE winds are rare in these parts.

Closer to you, check out:
Morningside Flight Park; Charlestown, NH
http://flymorningside.kittyhawk.com/

Throughout the 90s we flew there for a $5 daily fee.
We even had slope race there back in the day.

If you go, maybe let us know if they are still receptive to slope soaring.

// Dave
MA Slope Soaring is offline Find More Posts by MA Slope Soaring
Last edited by MA Slope Soaring; Aug 03, 2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old Aug 03, 2015, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by gator
Joined Sep 2002
431 Posts
Great link Dave. That NH site looks like a flight camp for grownup kids. What an awesome place. It'll definitely be a stop on my upcoming NE trip in Sept.

Its been a little frustrating trying to piece together a current list of slope sites for everyone to use, much less a usable database that can be updated with objective reviews and current info. Thanks for adding to the list.

Any insight on a single database that might be a stable place or website resource to add the updates that people share? The slope websites Ive seen seem pretty dated but maybe Im just unaware of an existing favorite. The Swiss site that Jim posted seems to have all the right stuff..... except for user participation in the U.S.

Thanks again for all you do in the world of soaring, Mike
Last edited by gator; Aug 04, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2015, 09:47 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Slope Soaring View Post

Only problem at Greylock, SE winds are rare in these parts.
I have a tiny slope just down the street from me that works on a SE wind. But you are right, wind out of the east is not common for inland New England. (I call it the "seldom-seen east wind")
Seems to come up often enough on the coast though, just not much in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Slope Soaring View Post
Closer to you, check out:
Morningside Flight Park; Charlestown, NH
http://flymorningside.kittyhawk.com/
I have been meaning to stop by Morningside and see if that's an option. It's not exactly local for me, but it's sort of on the way when I'm traveling to the Cape. (Of course I'm usually traveling at night. )

I just sent them an email....we'll see what they have to say.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Aug 03, 2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2015, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by rcbobcat55
sailplane nut
Herminie, PA 15637
Joined Apr 2007
255 Posts
Hello from RCbobcat55 I live near the Irwin exit of the PA Turnpike (route 76) and have been looking for a site near me to test fly my line of pitcheon ARF'S that I produce. If anyone in my general area knows of a site let me know and I will pass it on. Many years ago we used to fly at Bellbridge hill across from the Clairton Coke Works but the National Weather Service took it over for a pollution monitoring station. There has to be one or more undiscovered sites hidden near Greensburg or New Stanton. I have done some flying at the local strip mall which has a Sam's Club in it but that's about it. If i locate something I will keep the locals updated, and if anyone in my area locates something let me know. My pm is: RCbobcat55@yahoo.com
rcbobcat55 is online now Find More Posts by rcbobcat55
Old Aug 04, 2015, 07:55 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,907 Posts
I got a response to my email to Morningside Flight Park:

"If it's a windy day where no other pilots are on the hill (and those do happen), you're welcome to fly your RC here. You'd just need to give us a heads up you're coming and to check in with us at the front desk before making your way out to the hill. Whether or not there will be a small fee to pay is undetermined.

Thank you for your inquiry. Perhaps we'll see you soon.

Paul
at Morningside
(603) 542-4416"

There are probably days when it's windy enough for us but too windy for the para / hang gliders. Next time I'm out in that direction (`2 hours from home) I'll have to stop by and scout the place out and talk to them. I've never seen the place in person. Looking at topo and satellite images it looks like their upper launch area shuld be good but the lower slopes are probably too flat?
Old Aug 07, 2015, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by gator
Joined Sep 2002
431 Posts
RCbob, I'm pretty sure there's a few sites near you on the slople.com website. Please add any you may find too. Where do I find info on your planes?

Jim, I'll be staying at Morning side for a few days during the 2nd weekend in Sept so I'll definitely post my experience. I'm looking fwd to checking it out and possibly slope flying or some DLG and maybe even learning how to fly a paraglider..... like I need another addiction.

I've updated and moved any recently mentioned links and resources to the 1st post for easy access for those in the same quest of Eastern Slopes and I'll try to keep it updated as people add bonafide sites.

Thanks go to Wing-Nutz for the most recent addition as a potential spot that was gleaned from a NE slope thread for a spot in Rangely ME. The hill is called Quill Hill located in Rangeley Maine on route 16. Google it for specific location info. There's also some feedback and pics on TripAdvisor here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ley_Maine.html
We have family there so I'll be stopping by in early September and will definitely post a review too.

In the same area is a scenic overlook about 10mi S of Rangeley that's called Height of land (again see TravelAdvisor.com or Google it). Large parking area but landing there is all you get. Like most Eastern overlooks, any planes down on the other side of the overlook are probably not coming home so I'd only call this site a "potential site for advanced flyers on a west wind".

Thanks again to those who share their knowledge and slope resources.
Mike
Last edited by gator; Aug 07, 2015 at 01:12 PM.