Old May 12, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by AndyPG
United Kingdom, Lincs
Joined May 2015
164 Posts
Discussion
High pitch whistling noise from dji e300 gear

Hi all,
I cant believe this hasn't been covered before but my searching has failed.

Brand new TBS Discovery with bog standard DJI 2212 920kv motors and E300 mk2 esc's. Flies really well and has loads of lifting power.

My issue is a high pitch electronic whistle comes from it once I get airbourne.
I would guess its coming from one of the esc's because its deffinately electronic rather that mechanical. The motor bearings are fine.

It starts once I lift off and I can continue to hear it from the ground up to about 20ft when it becomes too faint.

It's really quite loud and annoying and is also audible by my camera mic so is spoiling my film footage.

Any ideas?

Andy.
AndyPG is online now Find More Posts by AndyPG
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2015, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Winston905
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2014
30 Posts
has a set of E300's and as far as I am concerned part of normal operation... I am an industrial electrician and can tell you that all VFD (ESC)control squeals... large mills its very loud..

just my 2 cents
Winston905 is offline Find More Posts by Winston905
Old May 13, 2015, 04:00 AM
United Kingdom, Lincs
Joined May 2015
164 Posts
Thanks winston. I too work with industrial variable speed drives (inverters etc) and agree that the motors often produce these kind of noises.

The only thing is, it is really quite noticable and is spoiling my recordings on my TBS.

I can't find a single youtube video of flying quads where is is present, only the normal sound of the props etc.

If it's is indeed common with the DJI gear, I guess I'll live with it but if other forum members say their gear doesn't do it, I might take it up with the shop.

Any info appreciated.

Andy
Old May 13, 2015, 02:35 PM
United Kingdom, Lincs
Joined May 2015
164 Posts
Update,

After a few experiments I have established that to whistling sound is coming from the motors. Here is a link to some youtube footage where you can hear my issue.
19240001 (1 min 1 sec)

Hope someone can assist. I don't thimk it's normal.

Andy.
Old May 16, 2015, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by exnihilo
Joined Dec 2014
315 Posts
Try lubing the bearings?
exnihilo is online now Find More Posts by exnihilo
Old May 18, 2015, 04:07 AM
United Kingdom, Lincs
Joined May 2015
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnihilo View Post
Try lubing the bearings?
Thanks exnihilo, I'll give it a try but it is more of an electroic singing rather than a bearing noise.
I will lube them though.

Cheers,
Andy.