New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2015, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by rogerc
Gilroy, Ca
Joined May 2003
55 Posts
Discussion
Taranis RSSI readings

First time out with my new Taranis radio.
checked out the RSSI readings and they were on average between 60 and 65%. I am using a XR8 Rx/
I was flying about 300 feet up and about 400 out 90% of the time with my Bixler 2.
I thought these readings were quite low and will really hamper my range if this is any indication.
Since this was primarily a maiden flight on a rebuild I did not want to take it out any further to test range.

Is it a possibility that my 2 paddle antennas are not laid out correctly?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

What are you other Taranis users getting for you % of RSSI readings?
Thanks
RC
rogerc is offline Find More Posts by rogerc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2015, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc View Post
First time out with my new Taranis radio.
checked out the RSSI readings and they were on average between 60 and 65%. I am using a XR8 Rx/
I was flying about 300 feet up and about 400 out 90% of the time with my Bixler 2.
I thought these readings were quite low and will really hamper my range if this is any indication.
Since this was primarily a maiden flight on a rebuild I did not want to take it out any further to test range.

Is it a possibility that my 2 paddle antennas are not laid out correctly?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RC
You will want to get them away from all the other wires that you have running around next to them. The vertical antenna looks like it is right next to wires and the horizontal is on top of wires.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Old May 04, 2015, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by rogerc
Gilroy, Ca
Joined May 2003
55 Posts
Thanks for the info. Have moved them as much as possible still pretty close to everything. The leads on the antenna are not very long.

Thanks
RC
rogerc is offline Find More Posts by rogerc
Old May 04, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,929 Posts
The RSSI numbers are not percentages. They are just arbitrary numbers set up to give something near 100 for very close proximity. The change of numbers is not linear with distance.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 04, 2015, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by Imageek2
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2013
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc View Post
Thanks for the info. Have moved them as much as possible still pretty close to everything. The leads on the antenna are not very long.

Thanks
RC
I had my glider at 1500 ft and had readings of 50-60.

Tom
Imageek2 is online now Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by Econoline
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Nov 2007
173 Posts
I swapped out the paddles for the wire whiskers, easier to mount.
Econoline is offline Find More Posts by Econoline
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
I swapped out the paddles for the wire whiskers, easier to mount.
I do the same on mine and it seems to work fine. There is an option to by the X series with the whisker antennas, but you have to take the paddle antennas off and snap on the include whisker antennas. So now I have lots of paddle antennas laying around.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The RSSI numbers are not percentages. They are just arbitrary numbers set up to give something near 100 for very close proximity. The change of numbers is not linear with distance.
They are deciBells, and not quite arbitrary, even agree they are a bit hard to understand
60-65 is ok for visual range, i.e some hundred meters.
Every 6 dB less means you have doubles the distance, and first alarm is at 45 dB, so a 20dB margin is very comfortable.
Be also aware that having both receiver antenna under a 45 degrees angle related to Tx antenna means 3dB loss, and worse, if both are perpendicular on Tx antenna, means 26dB loss, i.e. 8x distance drop.
Ideal would be to have every moment of the flight at least one receiver antenna parallel and non-collinear with Tx antenna.
The worst is the collinear case, is total signal loss, black hole... for this reason, never aim/point to the plane with x antenna.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa