New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by James Lee
Australia, NSW, Tabulam
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
Question
Help ID catt and esc help please?

Hi everyone,I just bought this boat from a freind.Can anyone I.D. it?He told me its an Aquamania?He bought it new and gave it this crappy white paint job.The seller recomeded 2S but it wouldnt even plane with it so he bought some 3S batts and it was still very slow,just got on the plane,I re programed the esc to make sure it was getting full throttle[which it was] and then I sugested we try one of my 6S batts and performance was acceptable,not like other 6S boats Ive seen on the net,trouble is it only did 3 passes and then smoked the esc bad,even though the lable on the esc said 2s-6s.He decided he was no longer interested so I just bought it.Im hoping it will perform well enough with 2x2S batts but I will need to buy a new ESC.Is there any decent ones avaiable in the $50 range?Ive seen some 200amp mystery ones on the bay for $50-$60 but thought Id seek some advice first.The boat is 88cm long and 26.5 wide[sorry for the metric measurements,Im in Australia] and has a 2726KV motor.I think it wieghs about 2kg on my bathroom scales.Ive had many outboard .21 tunnel style boats many years ago so hoping to get similar performance.
James Lee is offline Find More Posts by James Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2015, 01:27 AM
Find More Posts by 785boats
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,475 Posts
James.
It is indeed an Aquamania. I had the same one but named the Aqua Passion. It won me the first place trophy in our club last year. But I did have a twin motor setup in it.
Here's what they look like from the factory.
http://www.hobbyease.com/aqua-mania-900bp-a-p6072.html

The motor is indeed a 3s motor. But it is too small for this boat.Running 6s would have tried to spin that motor at over 60,000 revs. It was the huge current draw with the 445mm prop that popped the ESC.
A good setup is a 4074 2200kv motor on 4s with a Seaking 180 ESC. Rock solid & never a problem. I prefer the TFL SSS brand of motor myself.
http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....oducts_id=2160

Cheers.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old May 01, 2015, 05:18 PM
Australia, NSW, Tabulam
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
Ok cool,thanks for the reply.I was hoping to get her going on the cheap but looks like Ill have to replace the whole power system.So theres no way it would be reasonably fast with this motor on 3S or even 4S with a new ESC?I dont understand why they would sell this boat with such slow electrics.
Old May 01, 2015, 07:05 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,475 Posts
Vantex seem to put that motor in all their mid sized boats. I've bought a few different ones & replaced the motors before I even got the boats wet.
To run it on 4s you would not want to go over a 440 size prop. And you would need the Seaking 180A ESC. The 120A ESC gets hot. I've done it in a small mono with that motor so it would really be working hard in a cat that size.

I run the Himodel GX200A ESCs in a lot of boats. They're the same as the Mystery.
But like the Mystery, there are no programming cards for them. It's all done with the transmitter & beeps. And they can be hit & miss as to how well they work lately.
http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiMo..._GX200A-B.html

And Himodel are possibly the cheapest place to get the Seaking 180A at the moment.
http://www.himodel.com/electric/Hobb...g-180A-V3.html
Old May 01, 2015, 07:28 PM
Australia, NSW, Tabulam
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
OK thanks,so will it go OK with that 4S set up with the GX200 and a 440 prop?Ill be happy with moderate performance.
Old May 01, 2015, 07:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Tabulam
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
I really appreciate the help,I just dont want to buy anything I cant use.Can you tell me is this the correct prop?
Would this set up handel the occational 5s run?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-78-Rac...item1e77a0585d
Old May 01, 2015, 08:52 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,475 Posts
That would be it.
I would have to say no to a 5s run on that 2700kv motor. That's over 50,000revs. You will smoke that little motor, & the ESC will probably go with it.
Even 4s is really pushing it.

It should be pretty quick on 3s if your batteries are good enough. What size & C rating were they.
Two packs in parallel of at least 4000mah & 40C would be ideal.
Old May 01, 2015, 09:11 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,475 Posts
James.
I'm off to run some boats for the afternoon. I'll be testing one of these motors on 4s in a 31" mono.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3674-2250...3D141477256124
I bought two the other week because they are so cheap. I've already run it once & I was impressed with its performance. Trying some props today. It might be a cheap upgrade with the 200A ESC . I think it will drive that boat spinning the 45mm prop.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old May 01, 2015, 09:51 PM
Australia, NSW, Tabulam
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
Cool thanks Paul.The only 3S batts I have for one of my planes are only 2200 25-35c but the car packs I have are 2S 5400 50c and I also have some 2S 3800 25-35c and just found a new flourion 2S 5200 30c,I could buy another one of those if that would be enough of a c rating but doesnt sound like it.
I dont mind buying some 4000 3s packs as I can use them on one of my planes too.
Just noticed your in Brisbane,Im hoping to come for the occational run if there is still a club at Coomera,is that where you race?.Is there a class for this type of boat in the trim Ill be running?
Keen to know how those motors go on 4S.
Thanks,James.
Old May 02, 2015, 01:13 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,475 Posts
James.
I would say that that small 3s pack is why you didn't see much speed on 3s. It just couldn't deliver the power required.
All the packs I use are 5000mah or 6000mah at 50C & 60C ratings. 40C ratings would be a minimum for single & series connected packs. But 35C would be ok for parallel packs. But in boats the higher the C rating & the higher the mah rating the better.
In Australia, for racing we are not allowed to run parallel packs. But it's fine for sport running.

The Club I race with is the Pine Rivers Model Powerboat Club. We run every second Sunday.
Here's a few pics & vids on our facebook site.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pine-...44209335677598

But we also run in a club at the Boondall Entertainment Centre in Brizzy every Saturday.

Didn't get to test the motor yesterday at Boondall. There was too much pinebark mulch (like a layer of it ) floating on the water, washed in after all that flooding rain we had the previous couple of days.
But it's Test day & 1/8 scale Hydro day at the Pine rivers club today, so I'll give it a couple of full race simulation runs, (mill lap, 5 x race laps, & a wind down lap) & see how much is left in the pack after the run.If the speed is still up there & the pack is around the same as with the other motors I usually run then it's all good in my book. As long as I can't smell melting varnish on the windings that is.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old May 02, 2015, 04:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Tabulam
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
Hi Paul,the 3S packs we tried when my freind owned it were new 5200 30c,tried 2 different packs and I ballance charged both for him to make sure.it was so slow you wouldnt even bother putting it in the water.Im starting to wonder if there was a faulty esc or even the motor so I think Ill replace both,hoping that motor your testing will turn out good so I wont have to brake the bank.Ill check out pine rivers site but Im in northern NSW so it takes about 2.5-3 hours to get to south side of Brisbane but Im sure I could make it for an occasional run.
Thanks,James.
Old May 03, 2015, 11:41 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,475 Posts
Well I gave the motor a full race test, in a boat where I usually run a TFL SSS 4074 2200kv motor, spinning an X440/3 blade prop. Boat speed with the same prop felt like a couple of klicks slower. I know that's a bit subjective but I don't use a gps or logging. Temps were fine & there was still 32% left in a 5800mah Entropy 4s pack pack. With the 4074 motor there's usually between 25-35% So that's not too bad.

James, could you post a side on view of the strut & shaft with the boat sitting on a table please. I suspect that the slowness of the boat may be down to the depth & angle of the strut.
I just re read a bit of a posting I did on mine & it reminded me of how wrong the original settings were.
The bottom of the strut needs to be about 1/4" off the table & with about 1 degree of positive angle & the COG at around 30% of the length of the boat (from tip to sponson transoms) forward of the sponson transoms.
If the boat has the original strut settings it would be running way too wet & ploughing through the water instead of just on the rear ride pads.That would cause it to run slow & pull a lot of amps.
Here's the thread. It's detailed in the first post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1849091

Let me know if any of that might be the case or had the original owner already changed the strut? A picture would help.
Old May 03, 2015, 06:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Tabulam
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
Thats great news Paul,sounds like those motors are good.The motor in the boat atm is a 36mm x 60mm so the new one is just longer?
Heres a pic,sorry Im not up to boating terms,still have allot to learn,I mainly fly glow planes.
the boat is completely stock,he only tried it twice,blew the esc then I bought it so the shaft is more that likely wrong.
I cant believe the paint job he gave this,He bought it new from highperformancehobbies and told me he was giving it a custom paint job
When I asked what paint he used he said export enamel from supercheap,couldnt believe it.

Ill start sanding it over the next couple of days,Ill prob paint it black in weatherfast marine enamel as I have some here.
After watching that vid of yours Ill be stoked if I get 1/2 that performance.
Last edited by James Lee; May 03, 2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old May 03, 2015, 10:08 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,475 Posts
AAAH!! that's as I suspected. Way too much negative angle on the strut. In Aeroplane terms that's like having 10 degrees down elevator & wondering why you are going into a dive.
That angle is simply pushing the nose down into the water. That's called "running too wet".That creates a huge amount of drag & slows the boat down immensely.But worse than that as I said in the previous post makes the motor draw a helluva lot of amps.
That's how mine was when I got it too.
You will have to do the same as I did. Take the strut out of the bracket & cut some off the top of it so you can raise the thing. As I said in the previous post, with the boat sitting flat on the table the bottom of the strut should be about 1/4" off the table with a slight positive angle. That is the rear of the strut higher than the front.
Make sure you grease the shaft when you put it back in.
Give that a try on some big 3s packs & see what the difference is.
Old May 04, 2015, 01:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Tabulam
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
Ahh now I understand,Ill give that a try.Do you think I should just fit the New ESC and try it with the same motor and prop with the strut adjustment?Ive ordered the 200a mystery.
Id really like to run 4S as I have the 2S batts here Id like to run in series,If I try that Ill need the smaller 440 prop right?
Thankyou,James.