New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2015, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by cd_webb
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
Build Log
Vic Smeed's Golden Wings-SOS Build Off April 2015 to September 2015

Well, here we go again! I've looked these plans to death over the last year or so and one build or another kept cutting line ahead of it. The perfect opportunity has now presented itself, so... a glidin' we will go!

I'll be building to the original size - 45" WS with rudder and elevator control. The fuse is pretty narrow for the needed radio gear, but my thoughts are to slightly widen the fuse in that area and gradually narrow back to the plan width. Also, the plan calls for 1/8" sheet top and bottom of the fuse. This seems like overkill to me (unless there's something I haven't thought of, or seen), so I may cut back to 3/32 there.

So far, I have redrawn the stab and the fin to make allowances for the elevator and rudder, and I've cut wing and stab rib patterns. I should have some time this weekend for some progress worthy of photos.

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2015, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Joined Mar 2011
1,463 Posts
Great to see another master piece from Vic Smeed! i´m a big fan!
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Apr 10, 2015, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,191 Posts
Has nice lines to it,can't wait to see the bones.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 10, 2015, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by brokenspar
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,243 Posts
Following!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,569 Posts
Link added in build off thread.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,981 Posts
George may well be able to add or correct the detail, but my understanding is that the 'Golden Wings' was designed in conjunction with the Aeromodeller magazine club of the same name. If memory serves me correctly (and it usually doesn't) the club was for Juniors & beginners up to the age of 16. The target audience may well go some way to explaining the 1/8" sheet fus top and bottom.

The Colonel had been considering this design for his entry to the Build Off, as he himself was indeed a Golden Winger......
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,406 Posts
Just a little bit of information. This is my version of the Golden Wings. I changed the fuselage slightly to make it more attractive and modern. It will be free flight. I still have to install the tow hook. Statistics: All balsa, laser cut, Japanese tissue covering. Shot in my home near Bogotá. Nikon D3200, 18-55 Nikkor lens.
And yes, so nice to see more Smeed's designs here. Good luck to you all!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Apr 10, 2015, 02:24 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
George may well be able to add or correct the detail, but my understanding is that the 'Golden Wings' was designed in conjunction with the Aeromodeller magazine club of the same name. If memory serves me correctly (and it usually doesn't) the club was for Juniors & beginners up to the age of 16. The target audience may well go some way to explaining the 1/8" sheet fus top and bottom.

The Colonel had been considering this design for his entry to the Build Off, as he himself was indeed a Golden Winger......
Yep, that's right Colonel. Following on from an article by Ron Moulton in the June 1955 issue of Aeromodeller called "Have Fun with A/1" introducing the concept of these smaller class gliders in the July issue the Vic Smeed designed Golden Wings beginners A/1 was presented together with detailed photographic building instructions by the Rev. Frank Callon and details of a postal contest for the design for under 16's. The prizes offered for those qualifying for the final, to be held later in the year, were, in terms of the then cost of living, attractive.

The final duly took place at RAF Halton on September 10th and was won by John Fellows (who stuck with his aeromodelling and was later well known in the field of R/C slope soaring).

Here are PDF scans of the building instructions and contest announcement, and the report of the final at Halton.

The question of why the then 14 year old Sundancer didn't participate is answered by the fact that I had been flying A/2 class gliders for the previous 3 years and hence considered A/1s - or at least a beginners A/1 - a bit beneath me, and also I was by then heavily into power models and didn't return to glider flying until 15 years later with R/C slope and then thermal soaring.

I may be wrong in this, although I think a second contest was held I don't recall there being a "club" based on the Golden Wings and wonder if the Colonel is thinking of the "Wings Club" promoted by the rival "Model Aircraft" magazine?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 03:25 PM
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
Seriously guys, I picked this one because I liked the looks and proportions. I promise I wasn't looking for the easiest project I could find! But, if a nine year old can build and compete with it...
Last edited by cd_webb; Apr 10, 2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 03:33 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_webb View Post
That was pretty interesting. So, was the GW designed by Mr. Smeed specifically for the contest, or was it selected as an easy to build model that was suitable for younger builders ?

Seriously guys, I picked this one because I liked the looks and proportions. I promise I wasn't looking for the easiest project I could find! But, if a nine year old can build and compete with it...
I believe it was specially designed at the behest of Aeromodeller for the contest.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,981 Posts
Perhaps I was mistakenly linking the model with Aeromodeller club of the same name - thinking about it, I daresay the club came a lot later

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...8-DSC03319.jpg
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Apr 10, 2015, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,031 Posts
What memories!!
I was enthralled with the Golden Wings. I was like George, 14 years old, but did not have his A/2 experience, so I jumped on the Golden Wings. I finished it the first week in October 1955 and got my first real thermal with the model at our club contest that weekend. I also, while finishing it on the Friday night slashed my left little finger knuckle to the bone while carving the noseblock. Had to ride my bike 1/4 mile to the doc to get it stitched up.
I learned a lot from that model.
Since then I have only missed one season without snagging a thermal (that was 1995 when I spent most of the year in the bush in Northern Labrador Canada, without a model)
A few years later I connected with George, when he and his sister Ruth and her husband Eric were the leading lights of the Rotherham Model flying Club and we had three way postal contests between the Belfast, Cork and Rotherham clubs. Maurice Doyle of Belfast, George and I are still going strong after 60 years since those days.
I have no excuse for not building a Golden Wings to mark the 60th anniversary.
I had an enquiry recently from an RC flier about a beginner Free flight sailplane and I cant think of a better introduction to Free Flight.

It is a simple no-nonsense efficient sailplane in the true tradition of Vic Smeed.
I may even be tempted to stick a RC receiver in it.
John O'S
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,406 Posts
How nice remembering Vic's Golden Wings. He deserves all the homage we can do to him. I'm so sorry that he's no longer with us. People like him are very few and far between these days,
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:04 PM
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
The fact that Mr. Smeed designed this model played no small part in my choice to build it. The first week in October 1955, I was still 6 months from seeing my birthday. I'm looking at 59 years old in about a week. I'd say it's about time you built another one, John. You ought to just join in and get it done!

I agree with you, Eduardo. The man gave a lot to the hobby, and he's still giving.
Last edited by cd_webb; Apr 11, 2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 04:52 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,569 Posts
Hi John O'S, greetings from the depths of rural France. Good to hear that you are still butchering balsa! If you are going to build a Golden Wings I hope you will enter it into the SOS Build Off and do a build log.

David: until I looked up the original article to scan I hadn't realised that this year (June actually, as the Aeromodeller always appeared in the month prior to it's cover date) is the Diamond Jubilee of the publication of the Golden Wings. How appropriate then that you should be building one, especially as you are almost of the same vintage! I know from talking to Vic Smeed at the gatherings organised for his designs at Old Warden 20 years or so ago that he found it both hard to believe and at the same time greatly flattering that they were still being built in large numbers at that time, now that he is no longer with us it is nice that they are still held in high regard and affection by lots of people and continue to be built and enjoyed all over the modelling world.