New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2015, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by hey_moe
Joined Dec 2014
8 Posts
Discussion
Need some help or advice

I am new to this hobby and have been flying for around 6 months and advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I decided to buy the Artizan and it fly's nice. I wanted some more speed for vertical flying and speed so I ordered the Power 10 Brushless Outrunner motor, 1100Kv (EFLM4010A) and a 40 amp ESC. This is what they suggested at HH. Also replaced the prop with a 12x8 APC prop. Would the 12x6 work better than the 12x8. I really wanted more speed than anything else. I also want to increase the battery size from a 2200 to a 3200 for more flight time. I know I will have to rebalance it afterward. The flight time I get is around 5 minutes now. I am hoping with the bigger engine, prop and battery it will help some. What really concerned me the most is the motor they suggested wasn't to me that much faster or am I missing something here.
hey_moe is offline Find More Posts by hey_moe
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2015, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,287 Posts
Without knowing what voltage (# of cells) you're running it's impossible to answer.

But guessing at 3S, a 12x8 prop on that is likely to kill a Power 10, or maybe it will kill the ESC first.

Also you have conflicting requirements. For speed in level flight you want pitch speed so high pitch, small diameter but for vertical performance you want thrust so lower pitch and greater diameter. Everything is a compromise.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 04, 2015, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by vettster
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,471 Posts
Before you change anything else.. buy a Watt's Up watt meter. Then you will know your v and amps and have some #s to bass your changes on.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2015, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
11,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
Need some help or advice
I cannot help you with your question, therefore some advice for a forumnovice: try to give information in the thread-title for more replies/help. Imagine a forum "help", "why", "crash", "plane", "wanted", "where" ...

Prettig Paas feest Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Apr 05, 2015, 04:19 AM
Find More Posts by hey_moe
Joined Dec 2014
8 Posts
11.1v 3S 3200mAh Lipo, yes I have a watt meter. I made a mistake and didn't see the max prop size is a 12x6 in the specs. The battery that came with the plane was a 11.1 2200 series battery. I wanted to use the 3200, 11.1 battery for longer flight. With the new motor and larger battery I had to re balance the CG. The blade that comes with it is a 10.76x8. The one I replaced it with is a 12x6. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet due to the winds here. Anyway what I really want is more speed and don't know if the motor they suggest will help do this.
hey_moe is offline Find More Posts by hey_moe
Old Apr 05, 2015, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,608 Posts
The only spec for the stock BL 480 motor is Kv=960 rpm/V. The Power 10 has Kv =1100 rpm/V, and is a larger motor. It will want to turn any prop around 15% faster, and will use around 1.5 times the power doing so. Being a bigger motor, it is possible that the actual prop rpm will be more than 15% higher, and power more than 1.5 times higher. And going to a bigger battery makes it easier for the battery to supply the higher current. So there's a lot happening and just whacking in a POower 10, a bigger prop and a bigger battery is a recipe for tears.

While you need a wattmeter, if you have the wrong components it's only going to tell you after the fact, and hopefully quick enough that you don't cook anything - but you'll still have to waste time and money going and buying the right bits. To plan power system changes, you can get at least a reasonable idea with a motor calculator like eCalc.Then your wattmeter is hopefully a no surprises verification of your plan.

On a Power 10 with 3S,on the stock prop you can expect to draw well over the stock ESC 30A limit, and over the 32A motor continuous current rating. A 12x6 will draw even more current. Note that when Eflite says 10x5 - 12x6 for recommended props, they mean 10x5 on 3S and 12x6 on 2S, not up to 12x6 on 3S.

Unless you upgrade the ESC to at least 40A, start with no bigger than a 10x6 - if your LHS has the Trojan prop 9.5 x 7.5 that will be OK as well - see the reviews tab on this page

If you want to go faster, prop options to consider are 10x10 and 11x8.5, noting that you'll need a 45A ESC and these are both near the burst current limit for the motor - you wouldn't want to run continuous full throttle
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco