New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2015, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by fiero880
Joined Aug 2010
40 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Coast Guard 44' Lifeboat Rookie Build Log!!

Ok, so for the past year or so I had a goal to find both the Lifeboat and Utility Dumas Coast Guard Boats for my personal collection.

8 months ago I found the Utility Boat in fair to good condition already built and for a fair price.

But could not find the Lifeboat for nothing. I did find one but the owner would not sell and that is another story closed for good for good reasons.

So for Christmas I asked for the Kit. Figured, How Hard Could it BE!~!!!!

Folks I tried. I really tried. But planking the hull just seemed near impossible. Then I realized I never separated the balsa from soft medium and hard.

In the meantime I lucked out. I mean I found the gem of all gems.

A beautiful fully detailed decked out Lifeboat for an unbelievable price shipped. And it arrived fully intact.

So what do I do with the Kit I tried building. My understanding you can buy the kit for $116 shipped. So its not like the kit is worth gold or not available anymore. I hate to loose money on it, but I am not sure if I can pick it back up and try building it again.
fiero880 is offline Find More Posts by fiero880
Last edited by fiero880; Aug 17, 2015 at 11:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
4,170 Posts
FIERO880-I can understand you dilemma, as to what do you do with the kit that you have already bought, but worst for you, that you started to build. You kind of answered your own question in that the kit can be bought for $116.00, shipped new sealed in the box, and the kit is still available.

You can offer the model up for sale in the buy and sell section of the boat forum, but be for warned; you will get no where near what you paid for the kit when you bought it new sealed in the box.

I think if you had gone on this forum before you bought the kit and asked which members would build the kit for you; chances are you would have come out better than even buying and building the kit yourself.

It is a fact of life that the seller never wants to lose money on a project, and the buyer wants to pay next to nothing. There are a few builders on this forum who build kits for customers, at prices that I would not even begin to build for, but they do it for the love of building. Don’t be fooled by the monies they charge for the build, the models they build are built very well and they will set them up for radio control, when you supply them with the parts before they start building. The one thing a lot of builders will not do is take on a kit that has been already started and handed off to them to be built. Now you’re asking them to correct your mistakes and replace any missing or destroyed parts.

I think with the problem you have you may dam near be giving the kit away and chalking it up to making a bad move on buying the kit.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Aug 06, 2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2015, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by fritzke
Joined Sep 2006
48 Posts
I bought one off of Craigs List last summer, all framed up, planked with the fittings and all the "adapt a drive" running hardware for.......$50.
(I already have one I built when I was a teenager (late 1970's) but wanted to make another version of it.)
Anyway, that was my pricing experience. Your RTF one looks fantastic BTW.
Dave
PS the kit is listed at Dumasproducts.com site for $177 , am I missing someting?
fritzke is offline Find More Posts by fritzke
Last edited by fritzke; Aug 06, 2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2015, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
40 Posts
I'm still undecided about what to do on my kit and yes I'll never find another RTR like that one I just bought.

But while the kids were at the in laws for the past few days, I got it back out this afternoon and started working on it again.

I actually made lots of progress but ran out of accelerator for my cy.

I will say this my last attemp at the planking was a nightmare and I just felt bummed out.

Tonight I can start seeing something here.
Old Aug 06, 2015, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
985 Posts
Your hull planking looks like its coming along nicely. Give it another chance and see how it turns out. I planked my 44' and gave it a good sanding, then used drywall mud to smooth out the inside curved planks that I could not easily sand.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...68&postcount=1
Vince Hoffmann is offline Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Old Aug 07, 2015, 10:40 AM
Joined Aug 2010
40 Posts
Slowly getting there
Old Aug 07, 2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by green-boat
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,852 Posts
Planking the hull is where a lot of new builders get frustrated and then give up. You did the right thing by setting it aside for a while and taking a break. When you do come back to it you are in a better frame of mind and don't have the urge to throw it up against a wall. If you do get that urge again just walk away. Once you get over that hull building hump it's so much more fun building the superstructure.

No one person can eat an entire elephant in one sitting. Just keep nibbling away at it and you will eventually finish it.
green-boat is online now Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Aug 07, 2015, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiero880 View Post
Slowly getting there
Lookin' good . Stay with it .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
40 Posts
RE: More Completed

Yay!!! The planking is complete. A few mishaps but that is what sandpaper is for, right ?

Ok, Next step is the nose block and coating the inside with "polyester resin"

I am guessing this is the same as finishing epoxy ? The directions call for 11 ounces.

I am guessing this should be enough ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pacer-PT40-Z...item5b16c3ecd4

Guys, Thank you for the encouragement. I am having fun now building this.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by SailorGreg
United Kingdom, Hampshire
Joined Jan 2013
148 Posts
Coming along well now. Planking complete. Don't worry, we all use some filler (or occasionally a lot of filler!) and some vigorous sanding to get a fair hull. The Z Poxy will do you fine, but it does need fairly accurate measuring to get a proper mix - get it wrong and it won't cure. Just be careful and you will be fine. (I use the same stuff and print out a scale on the computer (about 1/8" tick marks) and stick it down each bottle - this lets me see I am using the same amount in each mix.) Before you coat your hull, have a good look for gaps and put some PVC tape over them - the epoxy will fill the gap rather than running through.

Just a quick lesson on resins - polyester and epoxy are different. Both are used in moulding but polyester is cheaper, easier to use (no critical mixing) but stinks to high heaven. Epoxy is more expensive, needs an accurate mix but is structurally stronger, more versatile with a range of additives and much less smelly. Thinned with denatured alcohol it is a great coating for models or for glass sheathing a hull. You are heading in the right direction.

Greg
SailorGreg is offline Find More Posts by SailorGreg
Old Aug 17, 2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
2,074 Posts
Lookin' really good. Sandpaper is your friend.

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Aug 18, 2015, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by keith S
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
5,098 Posts
Nice planking job.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S