HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2008, 05:44 PM
Joined Oct 2007
31 Posts
Discussion
motor tp 2408-21 as to pass another wire?

hello friends, my motor suffered an accident and broke some copper wires in the rolling and would like to know if somebody has a drawing showing as to rewind (motor tp 2408-21). thanks
RODRIGOrio is offline Find More Posts by RODRIGOrio
Last edited by RODRIGOrio; May 19, 2008 at 08:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,062 Posts
original 2408-21 is 21Turns delta.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old May 15, 2008, 08:07 PM
Joined Oct 2007
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
original 2408-21 is 21Turns delta.

thanks manuel! this drawing that you placed here only serves for delta? by chance you it would have the project of (star) and which thickness of the wire use to roll? it would like that it was a good push.

it also needed to know how many returns I I go to have that it gives?

very thank for its attention.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,441 Posts
We need to know the number of statorpoles (teeth) and number of magnets as well. That will determine winding diagram to use.
Ron van Sommeren is online now Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old May 15, 2008, 11:08 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,062 Posts
RODRIGOrio.

First is Star and second is Delta.

14T Star, 24awg is good for GWS 9x5 3s.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698640

Manuel V.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old May 16, 2008, 11:16 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
A 13 turn Star (WYE) connection with 24 AWG wire will give almost exactly the same kv as the original, but it will produce more output power and will run a little cooler.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2008, 07:59 AM
Joined Oct 2007
31 Posts
It forgives me for the delay!

hello, (motor TP 2408-21) has (9 statorpoles) and (12 magnets). which would be the best drawing so that I can base me and rewind the motor ? I have weave 31 AWG, how many returns will have that he gives?

somebody could show to some figure (drawing) please to me of as to rewind?

it would be star the best easy option and but to rewind?

how I can rewind so that it gives more push?
thanks !!

RODRIGOrio
Last edited by RODRIGOrio; May 19, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old May 19, 2008, 11:52 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Go with Manuel's suggestion and wind as a 14 turn WYE (Star). Use 4 strands of your 31 AWG wire.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2008, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RODRIGOrio
hello friends, my motor suffered an accident and broke some copper wires in the rolling and would like to know if somebody has a drawing showing as to rewind (motor tp 2408-21). thanks
In the first photo, it looks like only one wire is broken. If so, is there any reason why you shouldn't splice a repair piece in, twisting the joined ends and soldering, to complete the repair? I've done this before to resurrect a failed motor in my kitchen range hood.

Ron? Any comments?

Or, do you really want to try rewinding the motor, instead of repairing it?

In either case, see Ron's tips on tests you should perform before connecting the motor to your ESC.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Last edited by segraves; May 21, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old May 19, 2008, 03:07 PM
Joined Oct 2007
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
In the first phot, it looks like only one wire is broken. If so, is there any reason why you shouldn't splice a repair piece in, twisting the joined ends and soldering, to complete the repair? I've done this before to resurrect a failed motor in my kitchen range hood.

Ron? Any comments?

Or, do you really want to try rewinding the motor, instead of repairing it?

In either case, see Ron's tips on tests you should perform before connecting the motor to your ESC.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves

in the case it had 5 broken wires!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:19 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
A 13 turn Star (WYE) connection with 24 AWG wire will give almost exactly the same kv as the original, but it will produce more output power and will run a little cooler.
Hi, I am getting ready to rewind one of these motors and just had a question. You are suggesting only 13 turns of 24awg to replace 21 turns of the original 31awg? Is this because of the wye termination instead of the delta? I am looking to duplicate the original performance if not enhance it slightly with a bit more thrust for my Superfly. Thanks
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:40 AM
Joined May 2008
606 Posts
Wye will give more torque but less power! Wye is easier on ESC to sense motor speed. If it's for a slow flying plane when you need a big(er) prop will less pitch speed it's ok. For fast flying wing go delta, as thick as possible single wire and reduce turn count by 1 or 2 to get higher RPM.

Balancing bell also helps. Check and relube bearings - dirt will kill the really fast - they are low quality.

Regards
Homer
Homer_Simpson is offline Find More Posts by Homer_Simpson
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:49 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,182 Posts
The main reason for using larger (better) wire is the crappy 31g wire BREAKS. That's only one of the problems with that motor.
Larger wire had lower resistance and cools better. If you wind as suggest you won't get a big power increase, maybe 10-15% if lucky but in a small motor that can be a noticeable improvement.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:30 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
You are suggesting only 13 turns of 24awg to replace 21 turns of the original 31awg? Is this because of the wye termination instead of the delta?
A 13 turn Wye is equal to a 21 turn Delta. Also 4 strands of 31 is almost equal in resistance to a single strand of 24 AWG.

I would recommend a single strand of 24 AWG since you are newer motor builder. I have wound these motors with a single strand of 22AWG (which yields 65% lower internal resistance). However, this requres a third layer on the stator poles and is very difficult to wind.

As Homer said, WYE is easier on the motor controller in every case I have seen. Besides, WYE requires less turns and therefore it takes less time to wind and you don't lose count so easily.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,813 Posts
Thanks guys, 13 turns of 24awg is what I will go with. I ordered the wire this morning from GoBrushless.com and got 3 different colors of the "newbie" wire. I can't wait to start winding.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member