HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:13 AM
flying in the rain....
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2002
349 Posts
Discussion
Royale - its working just as I'd hoped :)

When you spend hours and hours staring at CAD going blind, then days in the shop breathing CNC'd Corian dust, you get freaked out.... will all this time be worth it? Is this thing even gona fly? Ugh... I cant tell you all the number of times I woke up at 4:00am thinking oh I totally screwed something up.

Well... that's all starting to fade - the Royale is starting to prove itself. Brendon and I have been sharing the one plane we have. We've got a few solid contests on it now and its performing as expected.

A few things I'm starting to notice about the model:
Wow - it lands really well! I mean - I even get good landing scores sometimes
I can see it a LONG LONG way off. That's saved our ass a few times when we had to travel to stay in the lift.

It handles better than I expected. I'm not sure why - maybe its the planform / panel breaks? It seems to circle smooth all by itself. Might be my CG? I haven't pushed it crazy far back. Its nice to feel confident flying a distance and feel the plane is "locked in".

Its feels lighter than it is in the air... What does that mean? Well... I've out floated a bunch of ~57oz 4m models (side by side in the same lift). Remember, Brendon and I have the first proto-type and its heavy. 74oz. All the ones Don is doing now are around 66oz.

Needs more flap diff / mixed to ailerons than I'm used to using.

Looking forward to getting some more time in with a non-proto model before J in the Desert. It's pylon racing season, so the sailplane time will be limited for the next few months.

and yes... for everyone who keeps asking me, my Royale has cheese... and Bacon

Here are some recent photos from the last few contests.
dave_beardsley is offline Find More Posts by dave_beardsley
Last edited by dave_beardsley; Oct 14, 2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,230 Posts
Nice work Dave and Brendon!

I'm going to miss J in the desert next year but I will make it to your West side contests and a couple of bungee death matches.

I'll take a Royale, hold the cheese and bacon please.

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Oct 15, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Jan 2003
859 Posts
I'm impressed. Not that Bren won with it... He could fly a dinner plate and make it work! I see that YOU are 2nd - so that MUST be the plane...

Nice work Dave and a beautiful ship too...
Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:23 PM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
Really nice looking plane -congrats from another Jim...

So cool your son is doing so well too!

Cheers, Jim Martin aka Martini
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:33 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,755 Posts
Very cool!
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Oct 15, 2013, 06:26 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,976 Posts
Beautiful plane!

Ever think about putting a micro FPV setup on it for safety? In case it got too far away, or you somehow lost orientation or sight of it?
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Oct 15, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,441 Posts
Great work Dave! One doesn't appreciate the work that goes into a new molded airplane until the do it themselves. From the tooling design to the actual fabrication of the airframe. There is a LOT of work involved! Yes models have gotten expensive, but damn there is a lot of effort to make one! I wouldn't offer my time to build a plane for only $3k.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:00 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_beardsley View Post
Remember, Brendon and I have the first proto-type and its heavy. 74oz. All the ones Don is doing now are around 66oz.
My first Royale comes in at just under 68 oz. all-up, with an 80g ST center panel and 43g ST tips, at 113mm CG.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:08 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,150 Posts
Beautiful ship!
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
There's Something in the Air
United States, NH, Hillsborough
Joined Jul 2005
265 Posts
How well is the natural CF top wing holding up in the sun?

I know it's fall and the sun isn't as hot as in the summer, but I'll take any info I can get! It looks great.
Ne-Aero is offline Find More Posts by Ne-Aero
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
That is a slick looking plane, I wish someone would have taken a video of your presentation at the SASS meeting on the design/fabrication/tooling of the Royale, Dave. Congratulations!

B36
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Oct 19, 2013, 03:37 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,769 Posts
I have to admit that it was fairly conclusive to see it first hand. You see I had to fly against the same ship back to back as I had a "Beardsley" in all of my rounds for the most part. If it were not for the fact that they are both good friends I would be bitter....

I fully expected to see it lose to a 57 oz - X-2 but its didnt lose. I may have been a factor in a couple rounds at the sticks but there were several rounds where we had to just fly straight and park the models into what was essentially neutral air. In those rounds I could literally compare the Royal to my own model - both of us had zero inputs into the models for minutes at a time. Some rounds the only turn I made was to come home and land and I had the Royal in visual range the whole time so the only thing left was trim setup and airframe performance.

A 17 oz difference is pretty massive in my books - so this model was at a light air deficit but you could not tell once it was launched.

I have a space reserved on my build bench for one in December I have some build mods planned to reduce the weight and I have to admit I am pretty excited.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Oct 22, 2013, 01:15 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
I have to admit that it was fairly conclusive to see it first hand. You see I had to fly against the same ship back to back as I had a "Beardsley" in all of my rounds for the most part. If it were not for the fact that they are both good friends I would be bitter....

I fully expected to see it lose to a 57 oz - X-2 but its didnt lose. I may have been a factor in a couple rounds at the sticks but there were several rounds where we had to just fly straight and park the models into what was essentially neutral air. In those rounds I could literally compare the Royal to my own model - both of us had zero inputs into the models for minutes at a time. Some rounds the only turn I made was to come home and land and I had the Royal in visual range the whole time so the only thing left was trim setup and airframe performance.

A 17 oz difference is pretty massive in my books - so this model was at a light air deficit but you could not tell once it was launched.

I have a space reserved on my build bench for one in December I have some build mods planned to reduce the weight and I have to admit I am pretty excited.
Maybe it is something to do with the large size of Royale? There is a good circle between higher aspect ratio while still having adequate wing chord for favorable reynolds numbers. All things to makes up the ingredients of highly efficient flight.

I have experience the same with 4m X2. Despite being a little more heavy than my 3.8, 4m seems to an advantage both in L/D and min sink. Actually it seems to have an excellent sink performance while gliding in nice air speed. I am not talking about absolute gas bag floating settings.

It will be interesting to see if F3J planes grow towards the 4m size. In TD this is maybe not so much a problem but in F3J launches a smaller plane usually has an edge.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:18 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
Maybe it is something to do with the large size of Royale? There is a good circle between higher aspect ratio while still having adequate wing chord for favorable reynolds numbers. All things to makes up the ingredients of highly efficient flight.

I have experience the same with 4m X2. Despite being a little more heavy than my 3.8, 4m seems to an advantage both in L/D and min sink. Actually it seems to have an excellent sink performance while gliding in nice air speed. I am not talking about absolute gas bag floating settings.

It will be interesting to see if F3J planes grow towards the 4m size. In TD this is maybe not so much a problem but in F3J launches a smaller plane usually has an edge.
In F3J Smaller models can out launch larger models - True story! but the margin can be pretty slim and the L/D values of the larger span typically make up for any shortcomings in launch. When it really counts - no lift to very light lift I always go for span and I have typically not been disappointed.

In active air assuming you find the lift launch height is irrelevant. A sub second tow has only one value in only one situation - more flight time granted you find the lift that made you decide to tow short in the first place. You never obtain enough altitude to make your 10 mins in a short tow so what you fly is less important in that situation.

These hairs we are splitting, the nuances of light lift - no lift - sub second tows - etc they tend to offer up, when totally optimized skills and conditions coincide for a few seconds here and there if you are lucky. They are nothing compared to moving from say low 90's in the LZ to 99/100 most rounds....the Royal seems to have great LZ behavior so I am waiting patiently for mine
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:52 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
the Royal seems to have great LZ behavior so I am waiting patiently for mine
Good for you
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo