Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:19 PM
OR
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
Question
Battery Help?

I have a piccolo fun and I am ready to throw the NiMh battery packs out the window. I have only had the batteries for about two weeks. Charged them two times and now when I charge them I got about 10 sec. of flight and then the heli won't lift any more. It is driving crazy. I have two packs and it seems both of them won't take a charge. I am also using the capy little wall charger that ikarus sends with their kits. Does anybody have any ideas. Also I want to switch to Li-ion. What is a good charger and battery to go with?
autobus83 is offline Find More Posts by autobus83
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:54 PM
Seaford, DE
Joined Jan 2002
793 Posts
I use a 2 cell 1200 Etec pack from Bishop Power Products, and really like it. 20 minute flights. BUT, if your only getting 10 seconds because something else is wrong (overweight, gears binding...) then lithiums won't help. As for charger, if your on a budget, a Bishop C750 or a Potensky charger (Hobby Lobby) will work, but take a long time to charge. I use the Kokam charger which cost alot more. Also, Sirius makes good chargers.

Dan
dgoslee is offline Find More Posts by dgoslee
Old Dec 23, 2003, 09:28 PM
OR
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
The heli does lift off up to about 4 feet and holds but then it seems to loose power and floats back down. Also the shrink wrap on the sides of the batteries has been melted though in little spots. Could that be from abuse?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 09:35 PM
OR
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
The heli does lift off up to about 4 feet and holds but then it seems to loose power and floats back down. Also the shrink wrap on the sides of the batteries has been melted though in little spots. Could that be from abuse?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:06 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
Sounds like your batteries have been way too hot, either by overcharging or too much current draw. Have you used them for? anything other than the Piccolo?
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:16 PM
OR
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
The only thing I used them for was the heli. I used a discharger on them and I think that might have fried them. If it did oh well. I want to switch to Li-Ion anyways. I just need to figure out witch battery and charger to go with.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:27 PM
OR
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
Which are better batteries Li-Ion or Li-Poly. The Li-Poly are a lot cheaper.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:17 AM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
autobus83 -

[soapbox]
Before you do anything, anything else at all, go read the Ultimate Lithium Polymer Battery Guide in the battery forum. It will help you decide if li-poly is right for you. It might also help you live longer. They are not the be all end all solution for everyone. There is special equipment required to charge them. There are risks involved. Take the time to learn about them before you do worse than ruin a battery pack.[/soapbox]
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:18 AM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
Hey Earthbound - lighten up!
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:04 AM
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
Hi,

Earthbound, I'm a responsible adult and I still feel a little skiddish about using Li-Poly. I think you have done autobus and anyone else reading this a great service. Li-poly can be very dangerous and I know that I rarely sit and watch my batteries charge.

I might change my mind eventually, but I'm sticking with NiMH right now. They are cheaper, chargers are cheaper, safer, and 8-10 minute flight times are fine with me. Besides, with motors overheating already, I would think 20 minute flight times would just make motors burn out quicker.

Autobus, I would recommend getting a decent peak charger for Nimh and spend some time learning about charging. Nimh are very sensitive to overcharging as well as the heat generated from being discharged to hard. You really shouldn't have to discharge them. They like having a charge left in them. Always let your packs cool after charging and after flying.

Happy flying and have a Merry Christmas,

chris
gamegeek is offline Find More Posts by gamegeek
Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:23 PM
OR
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
I read the battery guide. That is a good article. It helped me understand batteries a lot more now. Thanks for the info. I can't set my esc to shut down at certain voltages though. Will this be harder to run Li-Ion and Li-Pol in my heli?
Last edited by autobus83; Dec 24, 2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:47 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
You just need to make sure you stop flying before the battery voltage drops below 3 volts per cell. I have a Piccolo that I fly with a 2-
Series Li-Po and it quits flying when the pack is at about 7.5 volts. Anything below 6 volts would damage the battery, so when the heli battery is low enough it barely gets off the ground, I stop and recharge.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland